This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#169273 February 19th, 2007 at 06:28 PM
OP Offline
I wasn't sure where exactly to post this, so I'll try here. If it's better somewhere, hostesses, please feel free to move it.

So there was this area outside where I dug up all the dead grass and put down new soil and planted a bunch of bulbs to make a flower garden. The front part is a square area with a little tree in the middle. I also went up the side along the walkway and took out all that grass as well. I had permission from the landlord to do the front area and they didn't seem like they cared so that's when I decided to do the side area as well. It just came to my attention via my b/f that a while back the landlord had made a comment about not knowing about the side area. My b/f pointed out that it was years dead and told him that it was full of flower bulbs and would look better come spring. The landlord just told him we'll see. So now I feel like I'm in a dilemma. Should I just leave it and hope that it looks all right when the flowers bloom or should I go ahead and plant new grass to make it look like it did before only better? And if I plant new grass, how is that going to affect the bulbs that are planted in that area? Will I need to dig them up or will they grow through the grass. My original intention was for the landlord to really like what I've done over there and see it as an improvement to the property. They are new landlords, just bought the duplex in June of last year, but I still want them to be happy with my gardening. Should I just talk to them about it and ask what they would like for me to do?

#169274 February 19th, 2007 at 06:33 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I'm sure they are considering the amount of work the flower beds will take when you all move some time in the future. The easiest thing for them is lawn. So my suggestion would be to dig up the bulbs over there. Put them in the flower bed you have already done and then plant grass over there that is really easy to care for. But that's just a suggestion. "We'll see" is frequently just a polite way of saying no. But you could certainly ask them. It never hurts to ask.

#169275 February 19th, 2007 at 06:44 PM
M
MLN Offline
M
I love gardens too. Maybe you could talk to your landlord about replacing the flower bulbs with some type of groundcover. That seems like a nice compromise--you get to have a garden of sorts and he still has a low maintenance area in his yard. Gosh, I sure hate you did all that work and now have to go back and undo it eek

#169276 February 19th, 2007 at 06:51 PM
OP Offline
My b/f said he mentioned that he has some landscaping ideas for the property but hasn't done anything so far. Maybe I could talk to him about what his ideas are and see if maybe I could do some of it for him. That way he gets what he wants and I still get to play outside. I'll mention the ground cover idea also. I'm kid of glad I didn't plant as many bulbs in that side area as I did in the front area.

Link Copied to Clipboard