This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#168028 March 18th, 2007 at 03:32 PM
Sylorna Offline OP
OP Offline
I dont' see anything mentioned here, and I'm sure everyone knows about this, but just to make sure. There has been a major petfood recall for wet animal food, primarily savoury cuts type. Here are some links to the effected brands. Please check, it's for dogs and cats and there have been deaths.
Eukanuba and Iams
petsmart recall list
manufacturing company-Menufoods
Purina
Science Diet

I hope everyone is safe, and all your pets are happy and healthy.
Jess

#168029 March 18th, 2007 at 09:27 PM
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
I saw it Friday night. I too am surprised it wasn't on here. I haven't been on much so I couldn't post it. I don't feed any of them never have but I still checked all my labels and such. Thanks Sylorna for posting the notice.

#168030 March 18th, 2007 at 10:55 PM
sca

#168031 March 18th, 2007 at 11:00 PM
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Netty if you think she may have eaten even a little bit or your not sure get her to a vet fast. This stuff has killed some dogs and cats. ters

#168032 March 18th, 2007 at 11:07 PM
I had a half package in the fridge. She ate the other half yesterday. Of the 4 pouches in my cupboard, 1 was listed in the recall. I buy 4 pouches each week so that must mean that the affected pouch was from last weeks shopping trip which I got at a different store!!
My cat seems normal in every way...gee Jimmy, what do you think?

#168033 March 19th, 2007 at 12:22 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
call your vet, netty...i wouldn't mess around with this.

#168034 March 19th, 2007 at 03:49 AM
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Netty like Jocelyn said get to the vet . Just saw a man on TV that lost his yellow calico feeding Iams said she was in renal failure before they noticed anything and took her to the vet had to put her down. Anyone have any doubts check the package and call or go to your vet with your pet rather spend some money and know my animal is safe then not and lose them. I know I would never forgive myself if I didn't check with the vet and one of mine died.

#168035 March 19th, 2007 at 06:17 AM
I've been follwing this story and since it first appeared on the news Friday. Tonight it was the LEAD story on our 10:00 news, so it must be pretty serious to be getting that kind of attention. sca They have expanded the list of names of the affected brands and one of them is Iams, which I feed Boogie Bear, but, thankfully, he only gets the dry food. smile smile smile

#168036 March 19th, 2007 at 04:19 PM
We saw this too, but its all the wet food and we don't use it because its not really good for the animals' teeth. Although, I did get a little worried when i saw Purina listed, because we get the 40 pound bags of Purina One for the puppies.

#168037 March 19th, 2007 at 10:21 PM
Jenn, as they keep adding to the list it doesn't seem that too many of the brands are unaffected, eek but they are still saying it's the moist food and not the dry. wink

#168038 March 20th, 2007 at 06:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the head-count is going up every day.

spoke with one of my friends yesterday and she is wondering if her dog (who she had to put down due to renal failure a couple of months ago) is a victim of this.

she didn't normally feed any of those brands...her cousin had given her some samples of one of the pouch foods that are part of the recall - the dog ate some of it...didn't seem to really like it so she ended up chucking the other pouch.

chelsea was a toy poodle...one pouch worth might have been enough to do serious damamge...she was only 4 and very healthy. the illness came on suddenly - within a week the vet recommended putting her down ters

does anyone know the time frame the infected stuff was being produced & distributed? and is there any recourse for vet bills?

#168039 March 20th, 2007 at 06:45 PM
Sylorna Offline OP
OP Offline
I've heard it's between December and March, and that they haven't figured out what was wrong, but they think it was a problem with the wheat. They're testing for mold and poisions related with that.

As for recourse, you'd have to be able to prove it, but they are talking about bringing that around. I'm not sure when it will come though, and it may be for those seriously injured or killed by the problem. I'll let you know when I hear more about that, your friend may have grounds for request.

#168040 March 20th, 2007 at 11:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
thanks, sylorna! i'd appreciate it!!

i think she - and everyone else who's animals had to be put down - should be reimbursed for the costs.

#168041 March 21st, 2007 at 02:56 AM
MENU, the company that does a lot of the packaging for pet food brands has put up a page on it, listing everything that's been contaminated.

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/Press_Recall_03162007.htm

Our cat's ok - her last pouched food (not with gravy) is Whiska's treats.

She did get some Compliments brand seafood last Friday - I phoned the vet today but was told that wasn't a problem.

We only give her soft food once a week - that and some treat kibbles.

Most of the time she's on the Purina Advanced kibbles.

Just the same we're watching her - she's not lethargic, not drinking water excessively, nor is she at her litter box a lot.

#168042 March 21st, 2007 at 08:55 PM
Carly, thanks a bunch for posting this link! kissies I've been trying to catch what I can on the news and in the paper, but this will make it easier. wink I use the dry food but have some friends who do use canned food, so I will pass this on to them. wink

#168043 March 21st, 2007 at 09:28 PM
I'm making a point of passing this info on to anybody I can think of - and encouraging others to pass it on.

So just keep doing that - think of somebody who ought to know - pass it on, pass it on, pass it on . . .

It's the best way to spread the news - don't wait for your local media to decide on its 'priority'.

If we all pitch in and work and this thing (Canadians and Americans), we can beat this thing.

And our animals will suffer less for it.

(Could you just see me right now, if I lost our beloved Skitter? I'd be roaring till the end of the next millennium!)

#168044 March 23rd, 2007 at 01:48 PM
Sylorna Offline OP
OP Offline
Guys,
There have been a number of class-action suits popping up everywhere. Acording to CBC last night they are often being started under one persons name and then being bombarded with phone calls. I would do an internet search to find the one closest to yourself (or friend or family) and give them a call. Worst case senerio is they say that there's not enough proof or something.
There have been warnings on the news from the States that some of the suits may not produce what people might think reasonable, depending on where you live and how much they value animals in that area.
Remember, there are a few links posted (the links at the top and one from carly). It's important to be educated during scary times. Update yourself often.
It looks like things are starting to get under control. Here's hoping we see the end of this soon.

#168045 March 23rd, 2007 at 08:59 PM
Sylorna Offline OP
OP Offline
UPDATE!
They have found the ingredient, which is used for cancer treatment, abortive and RAT POISION...currently illegal in the states. They're saying that the poision was brought over from China in wheat from there.
Here is a Canadian news link, also talks about the canadian class action suit.
News Link-CTV Toronto

#168046 March 24th, 2007 at 01:22 AM
Sylorna Offline OP
OP Offline
There is now a new recall for all cuts in gravy cat and dog foods made by menu foods. My things are moving quickly today. Hopefully tomorrow they'll be able to tell us exactly where it's coming from.
press release

Link Copied to Clipboard