This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#167956 March 12th, 2007 at 12:06 PM
OP Offline
Boy I tell ya...winter really does a number on you. especially when you live in the frozen tundra that is Upstate NY...lol It was really good to see the snow melting away and to see grass peeking through. Now I will begin to build my raised beds and start my indoor seedlings. Has anyone in this region (Rochester, zone 6) began their indoors seedlings yet?

#167957 March 12th, 2007 at 01:27 PM
Rochester is zone 6!! ters But I have heard a few z5&6 people say they've started seeds already.

#167958 March 12th, 2007 at 03:53 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
My back yard is still filled with 2ft of snow..
*it'll still be a bit for me to get there..
~unless I get the snow blower :rolleyes: ~

But one good thing about raised beds like I have, they melt faster, drain finally faster and warm up faster... even when there's still 2 ft of snow back there.. so, by the time it does melt to me to get there.. it'll be ready to go..

Welcome back Nick!!!

As far as starting seedlings..
*I have a unheated greenhouse, obviously outside*
and won't start mine until about April..

UNLESS SOMEONE SENDS ME A greenhouse HEATER..
I'm yellin', hopin' Santa will hear me... laugh laugh smile

What are you starting this year Nick????

#167959 March 12th, 2007 at 04:35 PM
Hi there and Welcome Back!!!

#167960 March 12th, 2007 at 04:47 PM
OP Offline
What I wouldn't do for a greenhouse... idea

This year, I am going to start a few tomato and pepper varieties. I got my Burpee catalog this weekend and my partner wants the Yellow saucing tomatoes, so I will probably do those. I don't want to overdo it on the produce, but I am being assured that none of it will go to waste. I'm thinkin of constructing 2 raised beds.

There's still plenty of snow in my backyard, but the weather is improving. I picked up a countertop Herb Garden from Walmart over the weekend. I just have this desire to grow SOMETHING..LOL.

#167961 March 12th, 2007 at 04:51 PM
OP Offline
Originally posted by Wrennie:
Rochester is zone 6!! ters But I have heard a few z5&6 people say they've started seeds already.
I was really confused about my zone, because different places said different things. So I called the Cornell Cooperative Extension and spoke to their gardening helpdesk. They told me that I was in zone 6.

#167962 March 12th, 2007 at 04:54 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Here's a two~fer!!!
[Linked Image]

Got the greenhouse for $329.99 (free shipping too)

#167963 March 12th, 2007 at 05:52 PM
OP Offline
Originally posted by weezie13:
Here's a two~fer!!!
[Linked Image]

Got the greenhouse for $329.99 (free shipping too)
shk NO WAY!!! Where? And is it still that price? LOL That would look soo good in my backyard.

#167964 March 12th, 2007 at 06:01 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Yes, $329.99 8 FT. x 6 FT. GREENHOUSE at Harbor Freights *free shipping*

and

$719.99 10 FT. x 12 FT. GREEN HOUSE WITH 4 VENTS
*that last one was cheaper a bit ago, but I could't afford to get it eek :p *

#167965 March 12th, 2007 at 06:05 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
We put in a wood floor though..
*we call our back yard "WIND~ALLEY" and
that is an allumium frame and not sure if it
would have taken it anywhere's..
but with the 2x4 wooden floor in there now,
it ain't goin' no where's *well by wind anyways*
My husband built the floor with 4 handles like
off of the bottom and 4 men can pick it up and carry it to where we want it go...

It's an awesome greenhouse, good sized and very sturdy for it's size and price..
and I have searched the web for greenhouse's of comparably prices for the size and how it's made and haven't found one yet..

#167966 March 12th, 2007 at 06:07 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Here's a view of it inside..
[Linked Image]

I have those mini~zippered greenhouse's on the inside as extra insulation if I start my seedlin'gs tooooo early.. they stand a wee~bit more of a chance out in the night air then.

#167967 March 12th, 2007 at 06:45 PM
Nick,
Yellow saucing tomatoes??
I like yellow tomatoes. Which variety are you getting?

#167968 March 12th, 2007 at 07:06 PM
OP Offline
Originally posted by weezie13:
Yes, $329.99 8 FT. x 6 FT. GREENHOUSE at Harbor Freights *free shipping*

and

$719.99 10 FT. x 12 FT. GREEN HOUSE WITH 4 VENTS
*that last one was cheaper a bit ago, but I could't afford to get it eek :p *
I found it! Oh you have just made me the happiest gardner! My partner likes tropical flowers (Orchids and the like) and I would love nothing more than to give him Orchids to have around the house. Guess where I'll be going this weekend? We just got a Harbor Freight here.

#167969 March 12th, 2007 at 07:12 PM
OP Offline
Originally posted by Wrennie:
Nick,
Yellow saucing tomatoes??
I like yellow tomatoes. Which variety are you getting?
Wrennie,
I saw the Big Mama Yellows on the cover of Burpees 2007 catalog. They are new this year. I know I have read quite a bit about people not having great luck with Burpee, but I have also heard people who have had success with them. At the very end of the day, I hope to find backup seeds from somewhere else, just in case. wink

#167970 March 12th, 2007 at 11:12 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by Curious Nick:
My partner likes tropical flowers (Orchids and the like) and I would love nothing more than to give him Orchids to have around the house.
Just remember it's not a heated greenhouse..
*unless you purchase one for it..*

The temp's will be the same inside as outside in the middle of the night...

And in the summer, they can get up to over 100*'s inside *with the doors shut* but still..

And if you do get this..
Which I hope you do......
Send pictures and ask lot's of questions..

They'r fun *actually alot of fun* but a wee bit of work to get used to in the very beginning..

But glad to give you any tips, tricks and tech's I've learned along the way!!! thumbup

#167971 March 13th, 2007 at 01:04 PM
My partner likes tropical flowers (Orchids and the like) and I would love nothing more than to give him Orchids to have around the house. Guess where I'll be going this weekend? We just got a Harbor Freight here.
My friend Dave sells artificial orchids in his store. They look amazingly real. I once heard 2 women, standing looking at them displayed in his window, arguing if they were real or not. After much deliberation they decided,for reasonable assumptions, that they were definitely real. laugh *nope*
I love orchids but never had luck with them.
I will probably be near the garden centers today...looking for big yellow maters!

#167972 March 13th, 2007 at 02:11 PM
OP Offline
Just remember it's not a heated greenhouse..
*unless you purchase one for it..*

That's cool.. Question for you? What size heater would you recommend for this size greenhouse?

I got approval from the dear partner last night..all I had to say was "You can have Orchids.." lala

#167973 March 13th, 2007 at 03:48 PM
Somewhat sadly this will not be the year we got the new greenhouse, although that looks like a good one, I like it that you are able to move it around with the floor you built, I'll bet that can be handy when it's empty... wink

I have started seeds in paper egg cartons inside. I set an extra dining table in front if the window and covered it with a vinyl table cloth. I've had action with every thing I planted. The peas took right off, and I'll just keep stakeing them and taking care of them until I can get them outside... Which may be a while, I'm in northwest Washington state and I don't know what zone that is off the top of my head...

I'm looking forward to doing tomatoes myself, brandywines if I can get em.... I always do my tomatoes from starts. Last summer they didn't get red, but I packed them in newspaper in a brown bag and it ripened them right up and we enjoyed them emmensely. cool cool

flw Rebecca flw

#167974 March 13th, 2007 at 05:41 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Nick,
The heater would be of your needs really...
And where your greenhouse would be situated..

Mine is in the "Back~40" so to speak, and so there's no easy access to electricity..
I would be looking at a Kerosene one
*I love the one by Parasene, but not sure if they sell them here in the US, I think only one place has it and it's at Harris seeds.com*

You may need one for all winter, *which, I don't know how effect that would be, as that one is NOT sealed tight, for keeping heat in in the winter..(not air tight)

I only store some things in there in the winter,
and come Feb/March I usually "vacation" some bunnies in their cages in there while their owners' go to Fla..

If you GOOGLE heaters for greenhouse, you should come up with alot of sites/URL's for finding something that would suit you and your needs....
(but remember, I don't think that that one greenhouse, would over winter orchids, but I would call up that company *there's a phone number to it* and maybe they'd be able to help you more..

#167975 March 13th, 2007 at 06:17 PM
OP Offline
*I love the one by Parasene, but not sure if they sell them here in the US, I think only one place has it and it's at Harris seeds.com*

They Are down the street from where my partner works. As a matter of fact, he just walked down there to pick up a catalog for me.

Maybe I will just use it from good ole spring/summer gardening, especially if it's not airtight.

Mine is in the "Back~40" so to speak, and so there's no easy access to electricity..

This would also be an issue for me..access to a current. And I don't see myself splurging on a green house AND an electrical outlet in outfield too...lol

Last question (for now): How is your greenie anchored?

#167976 March 13th, 2007 at 08:44 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I think only one place has it and it's at Harris seeds.com*

They Are down the street from where my partner works. As a matter of fact, he just walked down there to pick up a catalog for me.
Man o'man, I am jealous, a Harris seeds' AND a Harbor Freights stores.. gosh, what I wouldn't give to walk thru those places, I could get lost for hours on end..

Maybe I will just use it from good ole spring/summer gardening, especially if it's not airtight.
Yes, and just wanted to make sure you knew that, before you ordered it..
I love mine, but I only use mine for starting seeds in the spring and maybe draggin' a few pots inside of it for fall if it gets a cold snap.

Originally posted by Weezie13:

This would also be an issue for me..access to a current. And I don't see myself splurging on a green house AND an electrical outlet in outfield too...lol
Thats' why you'd need the kerosene one's..
The big one lasts' 3 days, on a gallon, I think if I remember correctly, and the little one lasts 14 days on a gallon, but that one is /or was out of stock...

My plan originally was to buy 3 of the little one's, then adjust all on or only one or two depending on the coldness...
and I only need it on during the night hours, it would have worked out.. but they stopped selling the little ones... eek

Last question (for now): How is your greenie anchored?
Do you mean the greenhouse?
No anchor, the wood floor is sooooo heavy, no wind would lift that..*well, it would have to be of tornado proportion to do that, and I don't have those here*

I believe it was basic two by fours, nailed together.. and the frame has holes I believe to be nailed/screwed in to the wood...

(Don't worry about asking questions, ask away, that's how you learn) thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard