This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#166360 February 4th, 2007 at 03:35 AM
Congrats Momma Dodge!

#166361 February 4th, 2007 at 03:43 AM
nml............

Do you know the name of what the large black seed is ? Has leafs now........

Gee I get a pat on the back huh?

Are you behaving yourself?

Whats bloomin in your yard/

dodge

#166362 February 4th, 2007 at 04:29 AM
Think it is Winged Bean..remember?

Posted some pics in Blooming Fine 23...

#166363 February 4th, 2007 at 04:59 AM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes, Hawaii IS a beautiful place... especially if you're a gardener! I think I can understand why we don't seem to hear much from the 9 forum members (9 as far as I can tell) that live in Hawaii. (They're too busy gardening 365 days a year, to hang out with us!) I do wish they could find the time, cuz the plant life there is so amazing, I'd love to see more pics of what people have growing over there!

I asked Shelly about the fuzzy pom-pom things on those Royal Palms, & she said that she thinks those must be the "blossoms". I blew up a part of her pic, to see if we could get a close-up view. (Not very good... I'll see if I can get her to take a telephoto shot of it, cuz I, for one, am intrigued with this!) Duh </i> Hawaii is somewhere around 140 miles north of the equator, so I'm guessing that it might not be as hot as Malaysia. (Speaking primarily about sea level locations.) Heck, now that I think about it, I guess the climates would depend a lot on the land mass size, as well as elevation. OK, now I'm starting to confuse myself again... I think! nutz

And.... don't look now, but Hawaii IS part of the United States!
(Just giving you a bad time... I know that you meant the "continental" US!) wink
But, just think about it... we complain about winter when we can't get out & play in the dirt, but it just might be a blessing in disguise! For most of us, the bugs die off because of the cold, whereas in Hawaii there are creepy crawlys just thriving away, year round! The other thing is (& we don't like admitting it), we NEED the break... even if it IS usually longer than we would like it to be!

#166364 February 4th, 2007 at 05:22 AM
Hi Patty...

May b Hawaii has cooler temps n cooler places n cooler plants... may b some of da plants they have we do not n probably too vice versa..not so sure myself...

but a lot of the plants r da same... may b i could send a pic of da infloresence on da palm trees we have around da campus where i teach...i dont have 'em in my garden except da ordinary coconuts... simply coz there too many other flowering plants that capture my attention away from 'em!!

#166365 February 4th, 2007 at 05:28 AM
Hi Patty...

May b Hawaii has cooler temps n cooler places n cooler plants... may b some of da plants they have we do not n probably too vice versa..not so sure myself...

but a lot of the plants r da same... may b i could send a pic of da infloresence on da palm trees we have around da campus where i teach...i dont have 'em in my garden except da ordinary coconuts... simply coz there too many other flowering plants that capture my attention away from 'em!!

#166366 February 4th, 2007 at 07:55 AM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Norhaini, I can understand how gorgeous flowers like the ones you have might take a person's attention away from trees **even Palm trees** if you see them every day... which most of us here, DON'T! [Linked Image]

If you can get pics of the inflorescence on the trees on campus, PLEASE DO bring them here! I'd never wondered about Palm trees before, but they sure have my attention since Shelly sent me those pics! ("Inflorescence" isn't a term that I see around here very much, but I know what it means. Thanks for using the word I couldn't think of when I was writing my previous post!) thumbup

When I started this topic, I thought of you & your tropical plants, & thought about naming it "Blooming Fine - In The Tropics"... but I knew that you've been posting pics in the traditional "Blooming Fine" thread already, so I didn't think you'd want to change ...but if you (or anyone else) would like to put any of your tropicals here, please feel free to do so! [Linked Image]
(The one thing I would like to ask of you & Dodge though, is if you would please take your off topic chit chat to a PM, or start a topic of your own in Banter Hall. Thanks.)

#166367 February 4th, 2007 at 01:31 PM
nml, & PattyS,

Thanks for the educational theorys.

Now I know more....Yes i heard warmer place are buggy too......
Nice to look at any ways.

nml,

What seeds are showing there?

dodge

#166368 February 5th, 2007 at 05:31 AM
Hi Patty...

Sorry about da 'off topic' thing again...

Hi Dodge..sorry i dare not answer your question here...LOL...

Here r da pics i promised...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is just one species of Palm ...there r soo many other types...this is much smaller than da one in your daughter's picture...

Enjoy..n have a nice day...

#166369 February 5th, 2007 at 01:42 PM
nml
Lovely

Palms......
Us ladys of greed on here would cover the earth with all our seeds.............

Hey it was -12 here this morning ..Doubt if those palms would make it .

b

#166370 February 11th, 2007 at 11:50 AM
Oh, you can have avacodos fall into my yard any time.

#166371 February 11th, 2007 at 01:39 PM
All we can do is gauck at your photos.. Lush and Lucky.

Thanks for the lovely photos..Keep them coming.

d

#166372 February 12th, 2007 at 12:37 AM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow, Norhaini! [Linked Image]
Thanx for posting those. Your closeups are great! clp

I've been so sidetracked, I didn't get back to this thread until now. shocked
I can't imagine seeing things like that in my yard every day! ("Gawk" is the right word for it, Dodge! It's just amazing!)

Are those berries & things messy when they start falling around on the ground? I've looked around on the Web for info on the "fruit" of the Royal Palm, but haven't found anything yet. I'm waiting to hear if Shelly has any more info.

#166373 February 15th, 2007 at 06:36 PM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Shelly just sent me pics of those weird looking inflorescence berries on her Royal Palms...

Boy, she hit this just right, when she had a rainbow!
[Linked Image]

Here is what the inflorescence looks like, up close.
[Linked Image]

Her driveway was swept clean (cuz they can be slick underfoot), but they sure leave a mess in the yard! (Close up inserted. I don't know what the greenery is, at the base of the tree.)
[Linked Image]

This is what the different "seeds" look like, close up.
[Linked Image]
I want her to send me some of those! I don't know if they're really seeds, but I'm willing to play around with them! If I'm not mistaken, they wouldn't grow to be so tall indoors... (EEK! Would I be in twubble! I don't have 80 foot ceilings!) ...but they'd probably dwarf because the lighting, temps & humidity conditions wouldn't be conducive to normal growth. Duh

She tells me that when their spotlights are on, under the trees at night, it's an awesome sight... Can you just imagine having such beautiful trees right outside your window? [Linked Image] What a lucky girl!!

#166374 February 15th, 2007 at 06:46 PM
What a beautiful shot Patty....very pretty thumbup thumbup thumbup

#166375 February 15th, 2007 at 07:20 PM
Clever too.

parte

#166376 February 15th, 2007 at 07:43 PM
Even the rainbows are prettier on Maui!!!! I don't know what those are but it sure looks warm!

yes, very clever indeed.............

b

#166377 February 15th, 2007 at 07:48 PM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
OK, what am I missing here? perpl
WHAT is so darned "CLEVER"?
(I think someone needs a NAP... might be ME!) nutz

p

#166378 February 15th, 2007 at 07:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow that rainbow shot is amazing! thumbup

#166379 February 15th, 2007 at 08:17 PM
Rainbow shot......

Lots closer than penna..

#166380 February 16th, 2007 at 12:25 AM
Very nice pictures - especially the ones with the rainbow!
We used to get some good ones here, but haven't seen one in a long time. The double ones in Alaska were the best!

That ground plant - could it be iceplant?
The long leaves look like it, but would it grow there?

The berries sure are interesting - hard to believe a tree that size would come from those seeds!

#166381 February 16th, 2007 at 05:35 PM
Love those new shots Patty! So pretty!

#166382 February 16th, 2007 at 08:45 PM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
I don't see why Ice plant wouldn't grow there, Lynne, but I asked Shelly & she said that the greenery at the base of the tree is some type of grass.

She also said that the next time she sends a package here, she'll include some tree "droppings"! (She just mailed a package the other day, but didn't think about it, & my request a day late!) [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard