This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#166335 February 2nd, 2007 at 07:51 AM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
I think it was Lynne who asked me what Shelly has growing in her yard on Maui. Here are some of the pics that she sent me today. She told me the names of the ones she knows, & others we're not sure of... so don't be afraid to jump in if you know something we don't!

Young Banana trees (upper right). We don't know what the lacy foliage to the left is.
[Linked Image]
I should know what this is, down in the left corner, but my mind is drawing a blank.

More mature Bananas near the deck.
[Linked Image]
Shelly tells me that banana trees grow fast & they only bear fruit 1 time, then send up shoots for new plants.

Mango trees are in the background above, & here's a full view.
[Linked Image]

#166336 February 2nd, 2007 at 07:57 AM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
I'd never heard of planting a tree with a placenta before, but I guess that's what they do these days to commemorate a baby's birth!
[Linked Image]

Petunias grow near Lil' Naomi's Mango tree.
[Linked Image]

The ribboned stakes (in the background above) mark some of the Papaya trees that were started from seed in early October.
[Linked Image]

#166337 February 2nd, 2007 at 07:58 AM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a Split-leaf Philodendron, but wouldn't be able to keep it in the house if it got this big!!
[Linked Image]

New Guinea Impatiens.
[Linked Image]
(Another Split-leaf Philodendron in the center of the pic, & Ivy on the right... which Shelly says would like to take over their yard.)

I'm almost sure these are Cannas (Shelly says they're purple & grow on a long stem), growing at the base of a palm tree.
[Linked Image]

#166338 February 2nd, 2007 at 08:10 AM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Here's proof that green & blue DON'T clash!

Royal Palms in the front yard.
[Linked Image]
I'm told that these palms don't make coconuts... but I forgot to ask what those fuzzy things are!

Shooting Star Gardenia (Jasminoides Gardenia)
[Linked Image]

Second view... (Shelly says that the flowers don't usually look droopy when they're watered right, but stand up nice & firm with star shapes.) [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

#166339 February 2nd, 2007 at 08:18 AM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Eucalyptus tree at the edge of the back yard, & Mango trees to the right.
[Linked Image]

No self-respecting back yard would be complete without a veggie garden. This is her first year at this location, so everything is just getting started.... while most of us on the mainland have to wait! [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Tomatoes

[Linked Image]
Bib Lettuce

[Linked Image]
Rainbow Chard

(I don't know what the big leaves are.)

#166340 February 2nd, 2007 at 08:43 AM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Fan Palm
[Linked Image]
Shelly tells me that while this palm looks "flat", you can walk around & look at it from all sides & it looks the same! nutz

Bamboo & Lavender.
[Linked Image]

Maui has been battered with high winds recently, breaking some Papaya trees & ripping branches off.
[Linked Image]
**Do not adjust your vertical hold**
This was taken through the screening on the deck!

Shelly says that her yard is a beat up mess right now, & she's glad that she took most of her yard pics a couple weeks ago.

#166341 February 2nd, 2007 at 09:00 AM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Can you imagine complaining about having to clean up the avacados that fall in your yard? Duh

#166342 February 2nd, 2007 at 09:37 AM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
*** Shelly's Mystery plants ***

#1 A succulent something.
succulent.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

#2 She bought this as a little plant in a 4" pot & it took off on her! Duh
[Linked Image]

Close-up
[Linked Image]

OK Lynne, have you seen enough of Shelly's yard yet? laugh Believe it or not, there ARE more pics! (But they're mostly different views of these same things, & I'm already half blind from being in front of this screen, so I'm calling it "good enough"!)
Now I think I understand better, why I have to wait for baby pics! She does manage to put some time into her yard, but of course we know all too well that there's never enough time ... & we don't have new babies! If I had a yard the size of hers, I'd never get back into the house!
[Linked Image]I wonder if we'd get more done if we didn't have to pack everything up for winter every year, then wait so long for garden season to get under way again!

#166343 February 2nd, 2007 at 01:03 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

WOWIE WOW!!!

Thanks, Patty! I love seeing how lush everything is there, especially at this time of year! And have some avocados, huh???

The flowers on the #1 succulent make me think it's in the pepperomia family - they look just like the ones that are on mine now. But I haven't seen that variety before - I really like the colors!

Her veggie garden is looking great! And I love that palm that looks flat in the picture. We saw some of the same type in Puerto Rico.

I knew the leaves of the gardenia, but have never seen a shooting star variety - too cool! And the fig leaf palms look so healthy!

Good work, Shelly! It's only a matter of time before Lil' Naomi will be out there helping along!

#166344 February 2nd, 2007 at 01:09 PM
By the way... we have the same sky chair that she has hanging there - Brian has one in his room, and we used to have 2 hanging from the bottom of our second story deck - that is before the birds decided it was a great place to perch, and completely destroyed the canvas with their droppings!!! frown

#166345 February 2nd, 2007 at 01:39 PM
What a beautiful spot she has there!!!!

#166346 February 2nd, 2007 at 05:09 PM
Those are wonderul pics! Beautiful! My parents are actually in Maui right now! thumbup

#166347 February 2nd, 2007 at 05:40 PM
What an awesome garden she has. I would just love all of that lush green stuff growing in my yard. I dunno about Shelly's mysteries but the plants under the palm That Shelly says has blue flowers may be a lily Of the Nile.

Thanks for sharing Patty!

#166348 February 2nd, 2007 at 05:54 PM
Patty, thank you for sharing those beautiful pictures! I needed something like that to warm these bones up with, so cold here! That fan palm is awesome, & I would love to reach up & grab some of those avocados! cool

#166349 February 2nd, 2007 at 06:09 PM
Thanks Patty! Imagine all the mangos, papayas, bananas, and avacados you could just pick off the trees! I absolutely love all those palm trees! Wonderful garden she has going there. BTW is Maui close or in Hawaii?

#166350 February 2nd, 2007 at 07:27 PM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Kenny, I've never been big on geography either! Duh Isn't it weird, how birds can have so darned many trees to hang out in, yet they generate toward OUR things to perch on? ...& leave behind samples of the best bleach/paint stipper on earth! eek

Here's a bone warming description for you, even though it was cloudy when she took the pic, so we can't see the mountain...
...from Shelly's e-mail:
From our guest room window you can see the baby mango tree, and on a clear day there's a view of Haleakala mountain and all the majestic trees. Nothing fancy, but a very cozy room with a super relaxing view.
[Linked Image]

#166351 February 2nd, 2007 at 07:38 PM
ooooooooops - my mistake - I was talking about the split leaf philodendrons. Chalk it up to my sleepless state - I've napped now and saw my mistake!

#166352 February 2nd, 2007 at 08:24 PM
Ohhhh WooooooW Patty.. What a dream it would be to live there .. It's sooo beautiful!! Thanks for posting the pictures thumbup flw flw

#166353 February 3rd, 2007 at 12:45 AM
Wow they have gorgous tropical plants. thumbup

Is their climate full of moisture? It sure looks nice?
They say that makes them grow so good.

grinnnn

#166354 February 3rd, 2007 at 01:43 AM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Dodge, it seems to me that since those islands are sort of in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, the humidity would be pretty high.

The Islands are also just a tad south of the Tropic of Cancer & the trade winds cause average (year round) temps to stay between 72* & 85*F (around sea level) as they bring warm air across the ocean from the equator.

I'd say that other than at the higher elevations along the chain of islands... (some places DO get snow) shk ...Hawaii is the equivilant of one big greenhouse!

Hmmmm [Linked Image] Maybe that's why they're called "tropical islands"!

#166355 February 3rd, 2007 at 02:00 AM
Are you the one with a daughter there/
I know it is so beautiful.......
What type of house do they live in?
How we wish we looked that good..

#166356 February 3rd, 2007 at 03:20 AM
Hi Patty...
Hi Dodge...

mmm Hawaii is such a lovely place isnt it... but m not so keen to go there...s da situation there is very much like Malaysia.....i'd rather go to Pennsylvannia or Oregon...sigh..tho i know thatz just wishful thinking!!

#166357 February 3rd, 2007 at 03:35 AM
Hi nml

Long time no see......
United states think Hawaii is a dream come true.
ha ha

Wanted to tell you, I think the one large black seed of yours is growing .. About 3 inches tall and 2 leaves.. Will send a photo later.
Haven't seen you around .

doge

#166358 February 3rd, 2007 at 11:27 PM
Everything is so wonderfully lush!. So beautiful I must say!

#166359 February 4th, 2007 at 12:24 AM
Thats the word Mike.

Lush and lovely.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard