This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#165429 March 14th, 2007 at 04:02 AM
ms.tmac Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm new to planting this perennial in my garden. I just wanted to know if there was a certain type of sand to mix in with the soil to plant Rudbeckia Hirta. And are there different types of sand or is all sand the same. Better still do I really have to add sand?? I have clay soil however, where I'm planting in the spring we've added topsoil and manure.

#165430 March 14th, 2007 at 05:51 AM
ms.tmac Offline OP
OP Offline
Yeah, I'm new to this site so I had no idea where to place this question. And yes I realize that Rudbeckia Hirta are Black Eyed Susans. I like to generally use the Latin names given to each plant species.

#165431 March 14th, 2007 at 02:48 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Sorry, I must have posted on the wrong open
page, Cindy had asked where this should go....

Too many pages open, is a no~no for me... shocked shocked shocked wink laugh

My BES's are in the regular dirt/soil here,
I don't even plant them in areas' where I've ammended the soil...
They are very easy to care for, and don't need any extra special care..

They're the type of a flower/plant that can and will grow on the side of a road side, or an open field, or just plant itself anywhere's the seed drops...

I have clay like soil, if it rains alot, water stands' for a bit.. and I had one plant that is by the side of my house, that has water run off from two parts of my roof, and they still did good..

And just so you know, they're a biennal and will grow leaves the first years, and the second year they'll flower..*Usually if it's a purchased plant from a nursery, it's already on a second year, and will flower*

And they will reseed..
But you have to make sure you watch out for the babies.. they're very easy to mistake as weeds..
*they can have long leaves, close to the ground, and are kinda furry*

And birds' love the seeds too~~~

Link Copied to Clipboard