This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#164504 September 11th, 2006 at 08:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Okay, number one: The fish have totally pulled up and eaten my anarachis. It's gone...they ate it all! Should I take more out of the pond or should I just get plastic ones????? I'm not sure what to do because when I secure them under the gravel they keep pulling them out and stripping them. And I feed them so they aren't starving. Duh

Question two: My tank is turning a cloudy green color. I know that it's normally for new tanks but I wonder how long it will last? It looks bad. I put in an Amonia Clear fizz tablet today and syphoned out the gravel/water and refilled it with almost 2 gallons of clean water and it doesn't look quite as bad......is it really 6-8 weeks for a tank to fully cycle? I think I read that somewhere..... perpl

Thank you! Oh BTW, how often do you think I should replace my filter on my 10 gallon tank? Can you just clean it off and use it a little extra longer or should it be totally replaced.

I think I need help! laugh

#164505 September 11th, 2006 at 08:52 PM
Loz, it will take at least 6-8 weeks for a tank to cycle. It sounds like you have an algae bloom in your tank. Do you have any kind of algae eater in there? (Pleco) If the green continues- get some Accu-clear or similar product(specifically for water "blooms" not just for algae on the glass of the tank)

As far as the plants- I gave up on real ones because every time I would use them, I would get an algae bloom and would have to once again clear the tank. I stick to silk/plastic plants. Fish are like dogs, they will eat until they die. I would stick to artificial plants.
I think you are supposed to change the filters (or at least rinse well and replace) once a month.

Any pics??? Duh

#164506 September 12th, 2006 at 09:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
do you have the tank in a spot where it gets direct sunlight on it? sunlight landing directly on the water will cause the algae to form and get out of hand.

pleco's or chinese algea eaters are very good at keeping the algea under control.

what kind of fish do you have that are eating the plant? even if you feed food flakes, if real stuff is available, they'll eat it. you may not have been giving enough flakes, either.

how many fish do you have? a 10 gallon tank really can't handle more than a few fish unless they are really small - even then, no more than 10 at the most.

#164507 September 12th, 2006 at 07:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have 2 shubunkins and 2 fancy tail goldfish....I had to put them in this tank because my pond isn't deep enough for them to make it out there and I could only afford a 10 gallon tank at the time, although now my husband says I should've bought a bigger one. I feed them twice a day with floating pellets that way there are no flakes sinking to the bottom. thumbup

There's no direct sunlight hitting it, just the light in the tank---I haven't been turning it on quite as much the past few days.

Loz, it will take at least 6-8 weeks for a tank to cycle. It sounds like you have an algae bloom in your tank. Do you have any kind of algae eater in there? (Pleco) If the green continues- get some Accu-clear or similar product(specifically for water "blooms" not just for algae on the glass of the tank)
Thanks Tonya, I don't have an algae eater....I guess next time I'm in Walmart I'll have to get one. thumbup Most things I've been reading lately say if you have an algae problem you just need to be really consistent with water changes and wait for the cycle period to end....so that's what I've been doing.

I need to get some batteries, then I'll post a pic. thumbup

#164508 September 13th, 2006 at 01:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
how big are they now? if they're larger than a couple of inches each, that's way too much for that size tank. even doing partial water changes on a weekly basis and having a good filter system going won't keep the wastes out of the water...you need either a bigger tank or an additional 10 gallon and split them up - 2 in one and 2 in the other.

#164509 September 13th, 2006 at 01:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think altogether I'm about 2 inches over the inch per gallon rule. Duh I don't know what else to do, I can't afford another tank and it was either put them in there or let them freeze to death in a pond that isn't 3 feet deep. eek

#164510 September 13th, 2006 at 10:08 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
check out craigslist

you might find someone who's selling one for cheap or even giving it away for free. you can even post in the 'looking for' section.

#164511 September 13th, 2006 at 05:50 PM
Loz when you took a picture of your tank it did not look over crowded to me... On a New tank alge blooms will pop up till it is fully cycled..
Just keep up on your water changes..And make sure you keep the glass cleaned..There is good and bad alge..One will keep the tank more clear and one will be a pain in the neck..
And feeding once a day is plenty..If you feed them more the tank will fill with amonia and will also contribute to more alge blooming..
If you still have a problem with it Alge destroyer is a great product..
Let us all know how it goes!

#164512 September 14th, 2006 at 08:08 AM
loz - has your bulb sprouted for you yet?
Mine has sent up some nice pads that float on the surface of the water in the tank.

#164513 September 15th, 2006 at 08:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I see teeny tiny shoots on them Lynne! kissies

#164514 September 15th, 2006 at 08:44 AM
That is GREAT NEWS, loz - doing the happy dance here! [Linked Image]

#164515 September 15th, 2006 at 08:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Lynne that made me smile! muggs

Wooooohooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#164516 September 15th, 2006 at 10:04 AM
YAY!!! That is awesome, Loz! clp clp How is the algae bloom? Any better? Still waiting patiently for pics lala laugh laugh

#164517 September 15th, 2006 at 06:17 PM
Ohhh that is Great Loz!! Ohh when you get the new tank..Put some water from the little tank in there it will help it cycle faster!! thumbup And build the bio filter a bit faster as well!

#164518 October 31st, 2006 at 11:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Okay--question here...

When I turn on my fish tank light each morning my fish TOTALLy flip out and start swimming eratically(sp?), and hitting the sides of the tank.....is this normal?

I feel terrible because it's a daily thing for them--I thought they'd get used to it but they haven't....I mean they really flip out.

#164519 October 31st, 2006 at 12:29 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I've had to send mine to therapy for it... wink kissies

#164520 October 31st, 2006 at 12:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's just the weirdest thing to watch them bash themselves against the tank wall swimming around so fast.....Often I turn the lamp on first which is next to the tank, then I'll turn the aquarium light on later and they still flip out....

Well it's makes sense that God would send the anxiety ridden person anxiety ridden fish huh? laugh

#164521 February 24th, 2007 at 07:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here's my new mini tank that my best friend bought me the other day thumbup

Next on my list? I'd like to possibly give my sister my 10 gallon tank for Athena, and get a really big one! wink

[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/proloz/IMG_0236.jpg?t=1172344527[/img]

[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/proloz/IMG_0235.jpg?t=1172344554[/img]

#164522 February 25th, 2007 at 04:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i like that loz. i think i want one of those for my desk at work. or even a little smaller. i'm thinking if i had one of those... i'm hoping.

#164523 February 25th, 2007 at 06:46 AM
Another question from a new fish owner. Is the tank cycling where the water is cloudy for a few days?

I have a sinlge beta in a vase with a peace lily. The first few days the water was clear, then cloudy ofr a few and now back to clear. Is that all good?

And how often and how much of the water should I change out in this? Larry Boy (the kids named him) seems quite happy!

#164524 February 25th, 2007 at 02:09 PM
He Loz nice cute little tank you got.. If you wanna cycle it faster put some water in there from your other tank!!

Triss with the thing your have with the plant you should change the water more offen when it gets cloudy change it.. you don't have a filteration or airiation for larry! wink

#164525 February 25th, 2007 at 03:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I changed my Betta water in the vase once a week with distilled bottled water that I bought at walmart really cheap. I actually bought another vase at Walmart so I could switch each week and clean the other one out. thumbup

Hey Jiffy, I looked at the box, it's actually 1 gallon....and you know what? It was only $10 at Walmart. thumbup

Never thought of putting water from the other tank in there Rita! Great idea, thanks! muggs

#164526 February 25th, 2007 at 03:20 PM
No Problem Loz.. That is how I always started a new tank... "barrowed" water from a friend or another cycled tank.. it will still get a bit of a bloom but not so bad.. I would put at least 1/4 gallon in the new tank and possibly if you have to spare some of the gravel too! thumbup wink

#164527 March 6th, 2007 at 03:29 AM
P
P
one thing is for sure
the bigger the tank,the easier it is to keep things in balance.
i had a 55 gal for a long time and it was way easier then a 10

Link Copied to Clipboard