This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#163160 January 28th, 2007 at 05:33 AM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
When our Granddaughter was asked what she wanted for her birthday, she said that she wanted a pet of her own. (I guess that all the fish, doves, pheasants, homing pigeons, quail & chickens they already have aren't cuddly enough!) Her folks didn't want to go the guinea pig route again because of allergies to pet dander, so they did some research & shopped around until they found a lady who had a pair of Chinchillas to sell for a good price.
[Linked Image]

I'd never seen a Chinchilla close up before, but they're fascinating creatures! I don't think that "soft" can describe them, as they're BEYOND soft! Their coats feel like air, & I've never petted another animal as soft as these are! shk
(But their tails are as course as wire brushes!) nutz
My son built a nice roomy cage for them, with plenty of platforms for them to jump up & down & back & forth on, & they seem to be pretty happy.

All dolled up for her party with butterfly sparkles on her cheek, butterfly stickers on polished fingernails, a butterfly hair clip & a dragonfly necklace & ring (all sent to her by her Garden Aunt Lynne), she was one happy 8 year old today!
[Linked Image]

#163161 January 28th, 2007 at 05:39 AM
it s so cute and sois she;but doesn t it bite,isn t it in the rat familly,i could be mistaking also(after all i don t know my chinchilla from my elephant..lol )

specially like the gift in the background,the one that has all the numbers on it...can t help but to ask what it was?!!

#163162 January 28th, 2007 at 06:41 AM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Franny, Chinchillas have big ears, but they don't have those long trunks & they're pretty small, as compared to elephants. Other than that, I can't say I'd know the diff either! Duh (Myself, I don't really know, so I have to take her word for it!)

Crazy Franny, leave it to YOU to notice & ask about the unopened gifts!! [Linked Image]
To satisfy your strange curiosity, I'll tell you that there were 17 of those little presents. Inside each one was a hand puppet (different animals). Because she had so many to open, she invited all her friends to help her & it was like a fun explosion of flying wrapping paper & bows! laugh Her birthday party had to be held at our church/school, because she had invited too many of her friends before her Mom had a chance to tell her that there was a limit, so there wasn't room for all her guests at either of our houses!

Since we've already gone off-topic here... kissies

#163163 January 28th, 2007 at 01:46 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
What a cool pet! Chinchillas! thumbup

Happy Birthday, BG! parte

#163164 January 28th, 2007 at 02:07 PM
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Those are sure some pretty Chinchillas and a pretty BG also too. <i>I don't think that "soft" can describe them, as they're BEYOND soft! Their coats feel like air, & I've never petted another animal as soft as these are! p laugh

#163165 January 28th, 2007 at 04:05 PM
They are both adorable!

#163166 January 28th, 2007 at 04:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Happy Birthday to you BG! flw

#163167 January 28th, 2007 at 04:46 PM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Now you know why they are raised for their fur.
ters

They're girls, actually... the lady didn't want them separated because they're sisters & have never been apart. That's why BG ended up with 2 of them, but the price was "reasonable" at $60 each.

Jimmy, if we lived anywhere near you, & BG had the chance to help out at your zoo/indoor garden (she's seen all your pics), I think a major problem would develop between you & I... I wouldn't be her favorite any more! [Linked Image] Trust me when I say that you wouldn't want to give her back, & she wouldn't be willing to leave!
I thought Rabbits were Rodents myself
I thought so too, but wasn't real sure. Are beavers rodents too? I think they must be cousins, cuz you should see what these Chinchillas do to a stick of wood! sca (They can only have certain kinds of wood though... right now they have little branches of apple wood that started out about 2" thick.) They also make short work of cuddle bones. Awesome & interesting critters!

#163168 January 28th, 2007 at 07:25 PM
What a cool birthday gift. Your son and daughter-in-law are so great to let the kids have so many animals around to grow up with. And I can tell you from being there, BG knows her animals!

Happy Birthday to you BG!!!

#163169 January 28th, 2007 at 07:33 PM
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
I think a major problem would develop between you & I... I wouldn't be her favorite any more! - Trust me when I say that you wouldn't want to give her back, & she wouldn't be willing to leave!
No problem I can see I am sure4 she would allow you visitation rights after all you are her grandma I would just be a surrogate adopted grandpa. Beside you are more then welcome to clean up our messes. thumbup laugh
Happy Birthday BG parte

#163170 January 28th, 2007 at 08:57 PM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
BG says thanks to you all for the birthday greetings!
[Linked Image]

We are playing with plants & seeds today, & getting started on making Christmas tree decorations from our blown-out eggs. (Watch for a tutorial in the craft forum later on.)

Jimmy, BG is my cook when she's here. She makes a mean meatloaf ...almost all by herself at this point, cuz she's been doing it since she was about 3! She's not hard to please & would live on chicken nuggets if given the chance! (I don't mind "cooking" for her at all!) lala laugh

#163171 January 28th, 2007 at 10:30 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Rabbits are in the rodent family but are members of the Lapine group, just like dogs are Canines, and cats are Felines.

When my bunny, Two Bean Bags is stretched out on his side, I call him a, "Lapine of Leisure".

When he misbehaves, I call him a, "Stump-Tail Rat!"

#163172 January 30th, 2007 at 09:47 AM
Those are cool animals! thumbup

I love saying the word "chinchilla" so every rodent or unidentified animal thingy I see running around in my yard I call a chinchilla.

My family thinks it's nutz nutz that I have so many chinchillas running around in my back yard! laugh

Chinchilla, chinchilla, chinchilla la ree! nutz

#163173 January 30th, 2007 at 01:08 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
I see chinchillas in the pet store all the time and have even held one once or twice. Chinchillas and Alpacas are the softest animals I have EVER touched.

#163174 January 30th, 2007 at 02:48 PM
Ahhhh.....she's so cute....looks like she had a wonderful birthday and how sweet was that of Lynne!!

#163175 January 30th, 2007 at 03:36 PM
cute little chinchillas! And a cute BG too! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Sorry this wish is late, but hope it was happy; sure looks like it was!

flw flw flw parte

#163176 January 31st, 2007 at 04:46 AM
hi BG,

i m so happy for you you got chinchillas for your bd,they re adorable.

i sure would like to see some other picture of you with them,and thank you for teaching us what they were and thank uncle thorny also,thank you unle thorny!

most of all thanks for the nice drawing of thank you,you suer are welcome.

aunty Franny saying Bonne fete encore!/ happy birthday again !.

#163177 February 1st, 2007 at 05:23 AM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
I'll be getting more pics of BG with both of her critters the next time I go over to their house.

Meanwhile, we're learning more about Chinchilla care. BG's Dad told me that they bought some "Chinchilla food", but he doesn't think that it's very good, cuz the critters eat the interesting stuff & leave the rest! So, they're feeding them alfalfa for now, till they find the right food for them.

I was in Sarah's (BarleyChown's) neck of the woods today & stopped in to pick her brain, cuz she has Chinchillas too. She said she would get some info together for us & post it when she gets a few minutes.
(Thanx in advance, Sarah!) kissies

BG loves reading this thread & is really happy that y'all like her new snuggle buddies! smile

#163178 February 1st, 2007 at 01:16 PM
AWESOME birthday gifts!! thumbup

Happy Birthday BG!!!! parte

#163179 February 1st, 2007 at 05:26 PM
AV Queen
AV Queen
Congrats on the new pets BG! I really enjoy mine.

As for food, mine are fed a whole list of things after I did research on them. When fed and cared for correctly they can live for twenty years!

First, they always have a huge bowl of alfalfa hay and fresh water available to them at all times. I bet if you find your local "feed" store that carries alfala they will let you bag up the "sweepings", the alfalfa that has fallen off the bales during sales. It's much cheaper, and probably much fresher than the bags of alfalfa you can sometimes find in the pet section.

I also offer grass hay in a separate bowl. Some weeks they just love it, some not so much. I don't eat the same thing day after day, so why should they?

Next is pellets...Mazuri is the best of the best, and does not have the treat foods mixed in. I prefer that, so I can have more control over what is offered, and in what quantity.

Now, after all the reading I did on them I was trying to find other thing I could offer in small doses that they would enjoy. Whole oats and wheat kernels are well loved here. I give about a tsp. in a separate "treat" bowl for each chinchilla, along with whatever other treat I choose for the day.

Here's a list of treats. Remember, they are tiny animals and only need one or two a day!

Raisins
Dried Cranberries
Unsalted sunflower seeds
dried banana chips
1/8 tsp. flax seeds
Shreded wheat (the cereal)

Now, the other concern to remember is their teeth never stop growing, so they must be given ample things to chew on to keep them trimmed down. Cuttlebones are great, because they also offer some calcium. The wooden sticks sold in the pet isle for rabbits are also good, as are certain types of tree limbs. I have also found a few different chews at the feed store that they love. One is like a pumice stone that has been flavored. The other things they really enjoy are the bird toys intended for medium sized birds. It takes them quite a while to chew the wood off those.

For added fun I give the boys new cardboard boxes every few days. I cut body-sized holes into them, and they "customize" them. When they get to looking rather ragged, I just switch to a new box. It keeps them from totally chewing the more expensive to build wood huts they sleep in, and they seem to enjoy it.

Also, if you do not already have a covered bath house for them, get one! It makes a huge diffence in the dust that escapes to land on things you have to dust. laugh laugh

That's about all I can think of for now, but if you have any questions, let me know! flw

#163180 February 2nd, 2007 at 11:51 PM
soooooooooooo cute, i have wanted one for years! can they be litter box "trained" like rabbits? although my last rabbit slept in his!

Link Copied to Clipboard