This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#163133 April 20th, 2006 at 10:20 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Dear fellow gardeners,

About two years ago I took over a wastewater-runoff pond in my large apartment complex and started to turn it into a "wildlife refuge". It is now flourishing - filled with animals and attracting lots of people (and kids) who are learning about the environment despite their city living situation.
I would now like to use this is a pilot project to renovate other runoff ponds (they often look like bomb craters). I have two requests for advice, if you are willing. First, do you know of any other ponds that could use this kind of rehab in or around north Raleigh? And second, if I start more of these then I will be desperately in need of yellow iris, pickerel, and lilies to seed the ponds. Is there a source out there that I can access? I'm doing this mostly out of my own pocket so I don't have many resources to buy plants...

Thank you so much!

Sincerely yours,

Karin Muller

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what a terrific idea!! could you post some pics of the 'finished' area? i'd love to see what you've done. and if you've got some 'before' pics too, it would be interesting to see how the area has changed.

when you need plants, contact the local garden centers (both mom&pop types and the larger chains) and ask if they'd be willing to donate some things.

you could also contact the boy scouts and the girl scouts and any 4-h clubs in the area for some extra hands to help do cleanup and planting.

Link Copied to Clipboard