This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#161745 March 1st, 2007 at 09:57 PM
J
John B Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Greetings to all my gardening friends:
I have a general question for all of you that may have ideas. I have read under the old topic list, looking for answers to some of my issue, and have found SOME answers.
My mother, an AVID gardener and person with TWO green thumbs, passed away 01/03/06 after a battle with a rare blood disorder. I won't get into any more except to say, I know her gardens are beautful in heaven....
Here is my dilema- she had flower beds, that I have managed to keep in relatively good shape since her passing, some with vintage plants including peonies that belonged to HER grandmother and mother.
Unfortunately- due to my father's health, and his (ahem) marriage to the "other woman", we are selling our family home of 32 years. Thats a mighty long time.
I am going to have to dig up LOTS of my mom's flowers, including the vintage Peonies, and hopefully- this will be happening here in the next month or so. (We have a signed offer on the house, but there are still some negotitations to do)....
I am most concerned about the Peonies and some roses. We have daffodils, but I am fairly confident that I got the answer that I was looking for in older posts.
I know Peonies can be tempermental until they are established, and Im scared of digging up the roses.
Is spring a better time to do all of this or will I need to take extra care to move some of the more fragile roots?...
Also, there are two "butterfly" bushes that were favorites of all of us for their fragrance, how difficult will they be to move?
I know some of this will result in reposts, but I'm not quite sure where to begin....

John B.
Hendersonville, TN

John, I am sorry for your loss of your Mother, & I appreciate your desire to continue to care for the flowers that she loved. I don't know much about Butterfly bushes or Peonies, but now is an ideal time to move roses. (I've found that they are extremely hard to kill "on purpose", so I trust that your dedicated efforts will have a favorable outcome!) Have you looked at the Garden Helper's page, Step by step guide to transplanting ? I'm sure others will pop in here with advice & suggestions about the other plants you'll be moving.

By the way, welcome to the forum! [Linked Image] There are so many friendly people here, all willing to help each other & share gardening experiences.(as well as hobbies, pets, kids, recipies... the list goes on). I noticed in your profile, that you listed your interests as Gardening, Antique shopping, Pets & Music... it sounds like you'll fit right in around here! I'd like to hear more about your pets, & what is already in your gardens. (You've noticed by now that we love pictures, havent you? Bring 'em on!) [Linked Image] I'm looking forward to getting to know you!

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Alankhart is in your area and I'm pretty
sure he can be of some help..
He knows his plants and he knows alot of
tips and tricks...
Hopefully he'll come swinging thru and give
you a helpin' hand...
*if he hasn't swung thru in a bit, someone
post here and alert me and I will PM him to swing thru...*

And also, in the meantime, I am sure there are some other gardener's here that can help some too..

John, my deepest sympathy and apologies about your mother. RE: the peonies, I would say just dig them up and divide them (it would have been better if you were able to dig them up in the fall) http://www.peonies.org/faq.html or http://www.ext.nodak.edu/county/cass/horticulture/inform/flowers/peony.htm I don't have any roses, so I really can't give you much advice, but here's what I found on google http://www.geocities.com/PicketFence/2254/transplant.htm or http://www.thegardenhelper.com/movingspecimens.html I remember reading that butterfly bush roots really easily, but have never tried it myself (I've always wanted one) the daffs you can just dig up and take along! If (knock on wood) the peonies and roses don't make it, I can send you some seeds to try, usually plants started from see naturally will be stronger and better

John...My mother also has a blood disorder and is in declining health and I too will be doing the same thing you are doing...Trying to save as many of "Mom's plants" as I can. So I am not trying to be negative and I do understand. Another thing you should also consider, does the party that you are selling the house to know that you are going to remove some of the plants??? Because you could end up in a jam or fight over the plants...if you didn't tell them in the beginning.

Hi John... I'm a newbie here meself... and gooder for you for keeping your Mom's stuff a'goin' there too.

When I moved up here there was like 25 peony plants that hadn't been divided for quite some time... and let me tell ya... they are hardy plants, and cuz I've dug and divided and gave away and transplanted all of them... and in the spring, and in the Fall as well... and they have all done really well too... lol, and I now have like 75 of them around here. And as for the butterfly bushes... cut 'em on down and dig 'em... they'll be just fine too... hardy, very hardy they are... and mehopes you enjoy.

Link Copied to Clipboard