This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#161621 February 18th, 2007 at 07:59 AM
OP Offline
I have finally gotten the OK to get a puppy and I wanted to get opinions on what kind of dog to get. I want a little dog (under 15 pounds) and easy maintenance. I was thinking of a schnauzer, cockapoo or a maltese, something along those lines. Any suggestions? I am so excited but I want to make sure I get a dog that does not have a lot of medical issues, my family has a Shitzu and she was the greatest dog but had a lot of medical problems. Any thoughts would be great!

#161622 February 18th, 2007 at 12:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
nothing pure bred. purebreds, as a class, have more issues. but, that said, there are some really healthy dogs out there if you get them from a good breeder.

personally, i'd go with the cockapoo. they aren't pure bred exactly, and other than the coat, they are pretty easy dogs.

i'd check into the local shelter or rescue group though.

#161623 February 18th, 2007 at 12:49 PM
Definitely check with a rescue or shelter or "free to a good home" (newpaper listing).
My at work neighbor has flat coated terriers. (look kinda like a jack russel, longer nose. )I've never heard him mention any medical maladys.
They're cool little dogs.
N.Carolina dogrescue shelters

#161624 February 18th, 2007 at 11:08 PM
M
MLN Offline
M
It is basically true that the "Heinz 57s" have the best health. Every dog I have was either a dumped dog that we found (or did they find us laugh ) or one we adopted from a shelter.

Marleine

#161625 February 19th, 2007 at 12:34 AM
we have the same size limitation for our dog. we got lucky and my sis. in law is giving us a chihuahua. a little black and brown guy with doberman like markings. soo cute.

our neighbors down the street have teacup chihuahuas. they seem to be pretty cool.

#161626 February 20th, 2007 at 04:01 PM
Congrats to you.....i couldnt imagine not having a dog and while ours is HUGE, a little one is cute too.
Hope to see some pics once you get him/her??

#161627 February 21st, 2007 at 11:54 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for the advice! I want/need to get a small dog because of my 2 cats and I don't have a fenced in yard to let a big dog run. I would love to rescue a dog but I just don't have the room. Plus when I'm away for work or something I can get my parents to watch a small dog.
I will definately post pics once I get my puppy! smile

#161628 February 22nd, 2007 at 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Ms Sarah:
I would love to rescue a dog but I just don't have the room.
huh???
You can rescue small dogs too. And puppies.

#161629 February 22nd, 2007 at 01:22 PM
puppies available
here too "Use the form to the right to find a puppy near you to adopt. Why find a for sale or puppy for sale when you can find a rescue? Why find a puppy for sale when you can find a puppy rescue?"

#161630 February 22nd, 2007 at 01:25 PM
Also from that 2nd site
" Puppy Adoption
''Get the info & get in the know''

7 million adoptable pets are killed each year, including millions of puppies. 25% of pets in shelters are purebred.
Did you know that mixed-breeds are healthier? No inbreeding means less inherited genetic disease and breed related defects, lower vet bills and happier little pooches! Purebred "papers" are a marketing tool to make money and mean a puppy is more likely to be inbred with hidden health effects.
Before you run out and buy a puppy, stop and think. Puppy adoption is something that requires a great deal of thought and a lot of research. If you are not fully aware of and prepared for the havoc a puppy can and will wreak on your life, if you have not made an hour-by-hour housebreaking plan, if you don't know how to train a puppy, but plan on "winging it", or if you're expecting to get a good night's sleep during the next several months, you have a lot more learning and preparation to do before you adopt a puppy!
Puppies are adorable, but they do NOT make good gifts. If you want to know what we mean by this, visit your local animal shelter three weeks after Christmas. Shelters are overflowing with puppies for adoption for the first couple of months after the holidays. They look so cute under the tree with a big bow, but a few weeks or months later, when the reality of caring for a puppy sinks in, these poor little gifts are sent to the pound.
If you have your heart set on a specific breed, why not adopt an adult dog from a breed rescue organization? Breed rescues are dog rescue groups that specialize in a particular breed of dog. Chances are, you can find your purebred dog for adoption right in your area! "

#161631 February 22nd, 2007 at 10:57 PM
OP Offline
I understand that rescuing a dog is great and I see nothing wrong with this. I have gone to my local shelters many times, checked online and asked everyone I know but small dogs are hardly ever available. Maybe it's my area but the shelters have said the small ones go first and the puppies even faster.
I look every time I get a chance and maybe my timing is off but I really do try my best to look everywhere but with work, family and errands my time is limited but I will check out the websites you gave!

#161632 February 23rd, 2007 at 12:49 AM
L
L
We gave my mom and dad a miniature dauchhoud for their 50th wedding anniversary. After the first one died from a snake bite, we got them another one, (after an appropriate amount of time). For two people that had never approved of "inside pets" they were pretty devastated. These little dogs are so happy and so full of life. They love to play. He has brought them a lot of joy. Every time I talk to them they tell me stories about this dog! They are easily trained and good with both kids and adults. My mom and dad who had never had a house dog before, just fell in love, and are still in love with these little critters. They are sweet little dogs, very smart, and very affectionate. They do seem to require a lot of attention, so be prepared for that. They have a lot of energy! If you have kids, it will play until it drops, and want to sleep with one of them every night!

If you are looking to rescue an animal from the shelter, mixed breed dogs, Heinz 57's, always seem to be really smart. I have taken in five of them so far. All of them hounds that have been yard dogs, but we have really been pleased and loved them all. One of them though, just never seemed to learn! We got them all as pups. The others were easily trained. We have cows, horses and chickens all around, and we have had no problem so far with the others. The one that would not learn, was given to an older aunt of mine that just wanted some company! She has a fenced in yard that he can run around in. Otherwise he stays inside, and is pretty much spoiled! Good luck here.

#161633 February 23rd, 2007 at 12:52 AM
L
L
Oops, I meant to spell check because I knew I spelled dachshund wrong. My bad.

#161634 February 23rd, 2007 at 02:13 AM
My daughter got an Italian Greyhound from the Italian Greyhound rescue league, they are very small and always need to be rescued! You can google for a local chapter.

#161635 February 23rd, 2007 at 01:11 PM
H
H
Whatever you decided, I strongly reccommend crate training. It is the best for everyone, especially the puppy/dog. It is a safe environment to keep the puppy/dog in while no one is watching him/her, and also helps with housebreaking. wink

#161636 February 24th, 2007 at 09:05 PM
Did ya' get a puppy? Did ya', did ya', huh, huh, huh?

Link Copied to Clipboard