This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#160622 February 10th, 2007 at 01:41 PM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Maxi's dad's girlfriend is expecting her second child next month. She bought some pretty yarn and picked up a pattern and asked if I would crochet the baby blanket for her?

The original pattern consists of white stripes between stripes of solid pastel colors. But when she was yarn shopping, she found a pastel varigated yarn she really liked, so the blanket I am making has white stripes between stipes of the pastel varigated w/ an opalescent thread added.

The overall pattern is so simple:

One row of sc
followed by two rows of dc X's
another row of sc

then you switch colors and do it again.

Working back and forth across the width, you can make it any length by adding more stripes.

The planned finished size for this blanket is 30" x 37". worked in baby yarn w/ a 5mm (H) aluminum hook on a starting chain of 113.

I hope to get a photo when I'm done.

Merme

#160623 February 10th, 2007 at 02:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey merme,
That's a nice straight forward pattern. As I was whining earlier it's always the border that holds me up. Changing colors at the end of rows is always good because then you don't need any knots.

The only thing I don't like about your pattern is that I avoid starting rows with a dc. I don't like the whole it makes. I'm a big fan of the half double crochet (and popcorns wink )

The blanket I just finished was fun (still no border). It started with 2 stitches and increased into a big triangle and then I did the opposite and decreased until the triangle got smaller and smaller and I ended the blanket with 2 stitches too!

Does that make any sense at all?? It was great that the rows got shorter it gave the feeling I was finishing fast.

Good luck Merme! I sure hope you post a picture!

#160624 February 10th, 2007 at 04:51 PM
It sounds pretty Merme...i hope you can get a picture too!!

#160625 February 10th, 2007 at 10:39 PM
Sounds very nice Merme! I just love doing baby blankets!

#160626 February 18th, 2007 at 12:27 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Jane ~ I do not worry overly much about dc ends or starts of rows as I often add borders and will slip down into the next stitch to close that hole.

I finished the baby blanket, and it came out very well.

Then, I decided to use the exact same pattern, making it in bolder colors and slightly larger, to give to the older child in the family. DJ, at 5, might really like a blanket of his very own that is a Big Boy version of the baby's blanket.

Merme

#160627 February 18th, 2007 at 01:00 AM
That sounds so nice Merme. I am hoping you can get pics too.

The nicest shawl I ever made was triangular that started at the wide end and went to the point. It went faster and faster with each row. That was a good thing because it was about five foot long (from shoulder to point).

#160628 February 18th, 2007 at 05:34 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Merme,
Wow two blankets made! It's very nice you made one for the older sibling, good thinking thumbup A big boy version is great!

You know we love photos here grinnnn

Jonni, it's funny you mentioned the shaw. The blanket I just finished was made by making a big triangle - your shawl in reverse and then when that triangle was done you decreased the triangle down to 2 stitches on the other half of the blanket -- Just like you said it was so cool for the blanket to get smaller as I finished. I felt like I raced to the finish lne!

#160629 February 18th, 2007 at 01:00 PM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
When Maxi was an infant, he was given a hand-knitted blanket like that. It had been knitted on the diagonal, on the bias. It was a very cool blanket. We still have it.

Merme

#160630 February 19th, 2007 at 12:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Merme, I know someone who makes that blanket for a children's hospital - it is neat and different.

I am very fond of the one I made (it's a seed stitch dc,sc,dc,sc. I have some I've made with fancy patterns - but this one might be my favorite. It's very rich in a very practical way.

Also I think the shape will help it last and wash beautifully too.

I posted it in the unfinished projects thread. But here's a photo of it
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard