This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Okay, so I am faced with this dilemma every year, but usually only for my houseplants. I have finally devised a system to take care of them (involving bottles with holes in the bottoms for drip watering and sometimes plastic wrap!

HOWEVER...
This year I have started seeds already (tomato, pepper, and some various flower and herb) and I'm really worried that they will dry out while we are gone on vacation (I'll be gone 10-12 days!) I don't know anyone in the area and I'm pretty sure the neighbors are fed up with us asking for the even the most basic of favors (even though we always pay their 9 yr old son or get him a small gift card in return when we do occasionally ask.)

I don't have money to rig up any kind of "professional" irrigation but I'm not sure what to do! Things will all be outdoors by then too- it will be in June.

Any ideas? Would a few big jug of water with holes in the bottom keep things moist enough and last 10 days?

Thanks in advance,
Manda

OP Offline
Anyone? I guess everyone is in the more important topics today .....

Manda, I don't know if a gallon jug would work long enough or not. I am sorry I can't think of anything to advise you. I am hoping someone will come along soon to tell you what would work. We will be facing the same situation with our gardens during the summer some time...

I wish I could help you out Manda but I don't have any answers for you! I have just always had somebody come over and water everything for me while I am gone but I know that isn't always possible! thumbup

An offer of a ten dollar bill might be appealing to the young one.

They love earning their own money.

P
P
Check the self watering systems; samples in the links below.

self-watering system

or
Driwater Gel Pack

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I have been tryin' to think of what it's called,
but I am on brain~drain this day...

When you put a piece of cloth/fabric something,
in a bucket of water and then put it into or under the pot, and the pot/container/soil/dirt
sucks up the water from the bucket/watering can???

I think Weezie is thinking about the "wick" system...

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Yesssssssss, that's it..
*brain~drain*
I knew someone would come thru and give me
the word it was...

But most plants I think, if you watered them
good, and maybe even left a saucer under the one's that are a little more thirsty, would survive a 10~12 day stint!!!

OP Offline
(Slaps forehead) I forgot about the wick system!!!

Those are great sites too- I'll have to look into that more.

Now I have plenty of time to plan! Thanks! I don't want to have to worry about my plants while I'm at the beach!

Thanks everyone! cool

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
You know another trick or tip is that if you leave your plants in your home that's heated,
the heat naturally sucks out the moisture,
but if you put them somewhere's, where it's cooler, the water won't evaporate as quickly...

Might be somewhere's in a back room or something, still with light, and cool enough so it won't hurt the plants, but enough to slow down the evaporation..

They'll still be in pots in June or out in the ground by then? Duh
I dunno' your zone there.
There are sprinklers with timers too if they can be outside then

OP Offline
The tomatoes I was thinking of doing upside down in pots with herbs or something growing on top. I can keep the herbs in until then in pots if needed and just put them in the windowsill probably unless they grow out of hand by then.

My chives last year did fine on the patio in a pot with NO extra watering from me. I have chives, basil and dill started. The basil is already growing out of the pot and needs to be split up, so it might have to go outside by then (I can leave it in a windowbox or put it in the ground. Do critters usually munch basil??)

I'm most worried about the tomatoes. I really want homegrown tomatoes this year!!

I think most of my houseplants will survive okay. Most of them only get watered once or twice a week anyway.

Link Copied to Clipboard