This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#15943 September 19th, 2004 at 01:48 AM
Tempest Offline OP
OP Offline
I seem to have a new pet.. an emerald green grasshopper. It is still very young, only about 3/4-1 inch long, and has not developed it's wings yet. I caught it hanging out in my sage plant. I was going to catch it in a jar and put it in the alley with the weeds, but not only did it cooperatingly jump into the jar for me, I have not been able to make it come out. laugh Sooo, it is still hanging out in the jar, and seems very content to munch lettuce with no predators to worry about. I read recently that a large population of grasshopper species are omnivorous and in some cases even mainly eat insects. I think it might be a snakeweed grasshopper but as it does not have all it's markings yet- it's hard to say for sure. It is lime green with a cream colored stripe running down the sides of its abdomen, and has a cream-colored stripe along each eye. If it is beneficial, I can let it go and will not have to worry about the many leafy plants in my garden (or the seedlings..) but if it is not, I am afraid it will be doomed to being my pet in a semi-roomy jar with lettuce lunches and no predators. (I just don't have the heart to kill it at this point, and it doesn't wanna leave, soooo, call me silly.. I kinda like the little guy.) Anyway, if anyone knows about the species and whether or not it is actually a threat or benefit- I would appreciate the help.
Thank you-
Tempest~

#15944 September 21st, 2004 at 06:18 AM
Well I think all insects are benefical.. It’s just how you view them. To a bird a grasshopper is beneficial, because it will be dinner.

Grasshoppers usually eat plants so he / she will do that if you give it its freedom. Usually one will not eat enough to cause a problem. There are so many predators of grasshoppers he / she may not even make it to adulthood. I would let it takes its chances in the wild...
flw

#15945 October 1st, 2004 at 08:10 PM
Tempest Offline OP
OP Offline
I let it go free. So far it does not seem to be doing too much damage. wink

#15946 October 1st, 2004 at 08:23 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Was he feeling better???

Weezie

Link Copied to Clipboard