This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#158735 November 29th, 2005 at 01:13 PM
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
What do you wish someone had told you when you first started gardening?

How about some hints or tips that are working well for you?

Here's one: paint the handles of your garden tools a bright color...it makes them a little harder to lose! thumbup

#158736 November 29th, 2005 at 09:26 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
GO SLOWWWWWWWWWW!!

Start out small, and don't over do it!

Then go bigger once you get more knowledge
and really know you love of gardening...

#158737 November 30th, 2005 at 12:32 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Research what you want in your garden and make sure it will grow good in your area. All plants do not do well in all area's. Keep your tools up so you don't trip over them(advise from sidewalk crack inspector) laugh Main thing is adopt a pet from your loacl shelter that makes gardening more fun, them helping you dig in the garden.
Jimmy

#158738 November 30th, 2005 at 02:58 AM
Originally posted by barleychown:
Here's one: paint the handles of your garden tools a bright color...it makes them a little harder to lose! thumbup
Originally posted by JV: Keep your tools up so you don't trip over them(advise from sidewalk crack inspector) laugh Main thing is adopt a pet from your local shelter that makes gardening more fun, them helping you dig in the garden.Jimmy
A Crack Inspector laugh

My tip is to go slow...don't plan a huge garden or flower bed that you either don't have the time to take care of or don't know how to take care of it...This will led to a big disappointment. I do have to admit bright colors on garden tools would be handy, that is unless you want to wear yourself out looking for them....DH painted all of mine forest green, think I should tell him gab he painted them the wrong color???? frown

#158739 November 30th, 2005 at 03:05 AM
Get plants free from friends and family!

#158740 November 30th, 2005 at 03:18 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Really learn about fertilizers,
what they can and can't do.....

Or what they do to a plant,
and which plants don't need it...

Many new gardener's kill plants
with too much kindness more than neglect...

#158741 December 7th, 2005 at 06:41 AM
S
S
I try talking with other gardeners, especially the ones that have been at it for a long time. They have learned smile with practice. Don't be afraid to stop at someones home & ask questions. I'm sure the gardener would feel proud to answer any & all questions you have. grinnnn flw Happy Gardening, StanetteTN6

#158742 December 8th, 2005 at 02:07 PM
I have a tip for poor or bad soil...I live where they buried junk, which means I have a ton of glass in my dirt. So...what I do is buy a bag of potting soil, till with my baby tiller and toss my seeds on top, then cover with the potting soil. That way I'm not digging in the glass...or other junk that was buried here.

and too I work small areas. I had to just to start a yard, my house sits on top of what was a wheat field. so we started cleaing the junk up and started grass in small areas, each year we would decide where we planned to clean and what we wanted there. It's slow, but well worth it.

#158743 December 9th, 2005 at 07:42 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
I save the seeds from peppers and tomatoes I buy at the grocery store. They don't always grow or give you the same results as the original fruit, but many times you will be pleasantly surprised!

#158744 December 9th, 2005 at 09:24 AM
wavey Wow,what a great thread.

So many good things I wish someone would have told me in the beginning.

I grew up on a farm ,so I learned a lot about growing things as a child.When I was older and had my own place. I only had space for container gardening.

So my number 1 tip ( I wish someone would've told me)
Container gardening is great,(you can grow anything)but in the high heat of summer,you must water every day.

#158745 December 12th, 2005 at 09:31 PM
S
S
I wish someone told me to plant more evergreen shrubs, as they make a big diffrences in the winter garden. And to add a lot of flowering shrubs as they are pretty low maintance .
swin

#158746 December 13th, 2005 at 12:12 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
To test the soil. Find out which seeds I wanted to plant and amend the soil accordingly. To plan the garden for different sun requirements; so, I didn't end up moving the plants all over the place and losing so many of them. That annuals usually bloom longer than perennials. That I need to select my plants so that I have blooms all year long or at least interesting things going on. Many plants have interesting seed pods and such that look good during the winter or even with ice crystals hanging from them.

Also that hardening is necessary for most seedlings that are being taken from indoors to outdoors. Also that some flowers need to be planted in the fall.

Boy there is so much I wish I had known lol.

#158747 December 13th, 2005 at 07:35 AM
I wish someone would have told me not to stress so much! I did so much reading and tried to be perfect at everything! You have to sometimes let nature take it's course...You'll end up with stronger plants if you don't baby them too much.

#158748 December 13th, 2005 at 10:56 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Christina, you're right....
More plants end up dying from over pampering..
than lack of something..

#158749 December 22nd, 2005 at 08:35 PM
M
M
This goes along with the above. Be patient. The best planted garden isn't going to look like your dream-idea by next week. plants take time to establish and grow. Some days there won't be anything to do, so don't do anything.

#158750 December 23rd, 2005 at 10:35 AM
Very good advice Margaret!!! Be patient, But once you get the dirt really under your fingernails, you relish each moment of the growth of a plant...That YOU planted that seed yourself and coaxed it in to planthood and oh how proud we are of this cherished plant and then comes the biggest reward: It is when someone compliments you on your plant/plants...All that patient time paid off thumbup thumbup

#158751 January 1st, 2006 at 07:57 AM
Originally posted by suzydaze:
I have a tip for poor or bad soil...I live where they buried junk, which means I have a ton of glass in my dirt. So...what I do is buy a bag of potting soil, till with my baby tiller and toss my seeds on top, then cover with the potting soil. That way I'm not digging in the glass...or other junk that was buried here.
You wouldn't believe some the stuff I have dug up in my garden spot. Somebody had a metal pile there at one time. I have picked a 5 gal bucket full of metal. I have almost a full set of steak knives.

Also there is one spot that refuses to grow anything, I am not sure what was dumped or buried there.

I just keep picking this stuff out, I don't want to have to remove any more barded wire from my tiller tines again!! WHAT A MESS THAT WAS!!!

#158752 January 1st, 2006 at 08:59 AM
MY SUGGESTION IS :
DO A 4 BY 4 PLOT TO START......YOU CAN HOE AND weed IT FROM ALL SIDES...... wavey

START WITH 3 TOMATOES AND ONE pepper plant.
THEY DO NOT NEED ANY EXTRA FOOD TO GROW THEM
THEN LET YOUR MIND WANDER FOR 2007.

frown
GOOD LUCK ,HAPPY NEW YEAR.
DODGE

#158753 January 2nd, 2006 at 08:07 AM
Amigatec - would your barren spot be right for container gardening surrounded by gravel maybe?

#158754 January 2nd, 2006 at 08:38 AM
It is in the end of my Asparagus bed. Planted Asparagus there twice and it refuses to grow there.

#158755 January 2nd, 2006 at 09:22 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
This is a WONDERFUL thread...I'm wondering why Barley didn't come up with it sooner? laugh

I wish someone would have told me that that pretty pumpkin I used for decoration on the porch would make 37 baby pumpkins come up in my flower bed!!! laugh laugh laugh

Seriously, I wish I would have not started out by planting so close together...you look at those baby plants and you just want to get as many in that bed as you can... frown It still ended up fun and productive...and it is STILL hard for me to do "less"...but I am getting better!

I also wish I would have been more aware about the pests that I would be battling in my area...(WHITEFLIES..ARGHHHH) I would have tried to be a little more prepared for the battle!

I absolutely LOVE the hint of painting your garden tool handles a bright color...you know how much time I spend looking for those darn things!!!!

~V~

#158756 January 9th, 2006 at 06:11 AM
I wish someone had told me what fungus gnats were! When I first started gardening I had tons od little pots with stor-bought soil, and before I knew it we were INFESTED. It was like that movie "The Birds" only my house was "The Gnats". Freaky! It was too clod outside to put my plants out, so we suffered with them until I finally called a nursery and they helped me figure out how to get rid of them!

#158757 January 9th, 2006 at 06:13 AM
Clod = cold smile

Link Copied to Clipboard