This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#158046 February 10th, 2007 at 12:06 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
May I whine a moment. I am the worst at finishing projects.
I finished another beautiful blanket/afghan. I crocheted my heart out. It's very lovely.

Now, "all" it needs is the edging. I have to do a single crochet all the way around grabbing and spacing equally in some fashion. Then comes the dang edge. Another 3 or four times around. It's going to be about 650 stiches. This blanket is 34"x48" I hate that! Argh...

I have two other blankets in the same almost done spot. I did a cool alphabet blanket that's all one piece in popcorn stitch letters and grids. It's put away in the same way - undone!

I actually gave my nieve an amazing filet heart blanket. I managed to do the single crochet once around... and that was it.

I stink!

And that's only the crochet half-dones :p

awwwwwwwwwww Jane - don't be so hard on yourself!

We all have projects like that!
Last year, I knit an afghan for my daughter that my mom had started but only got 5 inches done because her hands shake so badly now. I made it in 3 pieces and finished it before summer. I just sewed it together last week, but it also needs a border. Problem is... I've never crocheted a border, and have no clue how to pick up stitches along the edge of a knit piece. Sooooo... it, too, sits in the bag, waiting to be finished!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have LOTS of projects like that....an unfinished crocheted blanket, tons and tons of unfinished cross stitches....*sighs* I should drag them out but it cuts into my computer time! Before the internet it's all I did.

Loads and loads and loads of them here. I just in the last couple of months, thanks to Lynne's project for Warm Up America, got rid of some of the leftover yarns that have been hanging around for ages. Tossed things that I started and cannot find yarn for and used up yarns in a differnt project. But that was just one yarn box. Do not get me started on all the other craft boxes.... it will take a lifetime.

Hi, I'm Nancy an I'm an Unfinisher too.
It all started when I was young. I got bored with things and didnt finish them. As I get older I do get some things done but they tend to be small.I have a 'craft room' {aka crap room} full of unfinished's. Like Loz, the internet is an excuse. But what of all the unfinished's from before I got a computer? Is there any help for us? A 12 step program? One stitch at a time?
**sigh**

Lynne maybe at summer camp we can figure how to do that crochet edge on the knit blanket...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Too funny Nancy...

I am Jane and so far I only confessed to crochet unfinished things. That is the tip of the iceburg.
Pick a craft and I am sure I have something half done in great fashion.

Lynne, crocheting an edge on knit is very much the same as for a crochet piece. The sides are always funky and might take a bit to work out a rhythm/spacing for.

Your goal is to first put a single crochet edge around the four sides. If the piece is a rectangle -
The end result will be two sides with the same number of stitches and the other two with the same number.

I would start by identifying the four corners. That can be tricky - if it is then I mark each one with a safety pin.

Here is how I would do the first corner -

With the front of the work facing you slip stitch(no knots) in a corner stitch, ch 1, sc in same stitch, ch 2, sc in same stitch.

With an eye on where you can pick up best on the edge start picking up and single crochet along the edge. You want to pick up in the same place each row - you get a rhythm going. As a general rule you'd put about 4 single crochets an inch.

Count your first two sides done and you'll know the target counts for sides 3 and 4. If you are one or two off - you can just pull out a few inches and add them in spread out a bit.

The second and following corners are (sc, ch2 sc) in corner stitch.
End by slip stitching to starting stitch.

Once you've done the first go around - you know have a zillion choices of edges to add. I get a lot of stuff from crochetpatterncentral.com

Does this help? Does it even make any sense?

WOW Jane - I'm gonna have to digest that one when I can focus in on it better, but thanks so much!

The thing is... the larger middle section of the blanket actually has a border around it - I don't know why I did not think to knit the same border around the 2 smaller side pieces. I'm thinking that the middle section will now look funny if it has 2 different borders on it - get what I mean?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm not tracking completely. I don't how to knit a border. You'd have to pick-up all the stitches - wouldn't you? I also didn't know you were putting pieces together. Is it in three pieces?

OK - I just looked at the blanket again, and it is only the side pieces that need finishing off - those are done in a basket weave stitch - 6 stitches knit for 6 rows, then 6 stitches pearled for 6 rows, so that there are boxes in the end.

In other words... along the edges, every 6 stitches would be knit or pearl, depending on which box. It just looks unfinished along those edges.

I will try and take some pictures when I get home later.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lynne,
I get the basketweave completely - I really like the look of it -- and it makes it easy to pick up for an edge.

Here is what I am not tracking
Is the blanket one piece?
Are you sewing it together?
Do you plan on knitting an edge?

I put the first row around my blanket. It's not so good. I went with a bigger hook so I would have fewer stitches. I think I need more stitches - the corners might be curling...

Maybe I'll put it away awhile and worry about it later wink there i go again -- another unfinished...

Jane - I've already sewn the 3 pieces together.
The top and bottom already have finished edges - it's just the 2 outside edges on the basket stitch that need edging. I only want about an inch of edging, so no, I couldn't knit one.

Here you can see 2 pieces sewn together - the center piece on the right has a border on all sides - the side piece only has a border top and bottom.
[Linked Image]

Here is the bottom and outside edge of the side piece -
the side looks unfinished...
[Linked Image]

Ideas?

That is so pretty Lynne. Wish I could help on the pick up of the stitches for you.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lynne,
How nice! I love knit patterns like that.

You can pick up those stitches - it may take you a time or two get them right. Get a hook and try to pull put stitches as close to the edge as you can an in the same fashion downt the rows.

I am with Triss I sure wish I could help pick them up for you.

I am on Lion Brand Yarns email list and they send a newsletter each week. I just got this today, and was wondering what you thought about making this skinny strip and sewing it on the edges?

scalloped edging

Again, I would only be doing it on the side edges, not top and bottom - would it be too schmaltzy? (too much???)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't even need to read it lynne...
It's the perfect knit solution, especially if you are good at sewing things together.

It is pretty. My only concern is would you think it will look finished with that only on the two sides?

I know Triss... that's my hesitation - but the top and bottom already have edges and I think adding this to it will be overkill.

Still not sure what to do... this surely is a lesson learned, to do a border on all pieces originally!

What about a simple single stitch in crochet just to finish the edge. No real border at all but rather a clean up to give you a nicer line. They you would not have to worry so much about exact number of stitches or anything and you could go all the way around for uniformity?

Well, that is what I had in mind originally, but I don't know how to go about that. My mom was going to show me before going down to Fla., but then she was not feeling well, and with the Parkinson's now, it's even harder for her. Plus she won't be back until the end of April.

Is there somewhere online that you or anyone might know of that shows how to pick up stitches along the edge and then crochet?

It is not so much a matter of picking up stitches around it and then crocheting an edge but doing it all at once. If you start at a space in the corner, each loop on the edge look at like a stitch. Hook in the stitch and pull through the yarn so that there are two loops on the hook and then pull the yarn through both loops.

You could even do a more simple stitch, which I think would work better from what I can see of your work, by putting the hook in the loop and pulling right through. I have no idea what that one is called.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lynne, Reread my original post on doing an edge by sc around once and add to it what Triss has said.

You can do it.

Play with it - try treating each ending pearl or knit as a stitch and hook through it and pull up a stitch yarn over and pull through the two and on to the next pearl or knit. Use a good size hook - an H maybe (I just put the edge on this one with an I - I'll let you know how that goes.)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lynne I just refreshed my memory about your skills at with a hook and needles. After reviewing your knitting journal, idea I am here to tell you -- put that edge on that blanket!
You are plenty talented enough!! If you can make all those pesky tiny little animals and follow all those patterns... you darn sure can pick up some stitches and crochet a row or two.

Thanks for the encouragement, Jane! kissies

I'll give it a try when I have some quiet time to myself here.

Originally posted by Triss:

You could even do a more simple stitch, which I think would work better from what I can see of your work, by putting the hook in the loop and pulling right through. I have no idea what that one is called.
Slip stitch

Thanks Wrennie! Eventually I will learn all the stitches!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard