This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi fellow crocheters
If anyone needs help with crochet or wants a pattern tested (no big stuff) I will be happy to help.

I have been crocheting for years. I have always enjoyed the challenge of a difficult pattern, so over the years I've gotten good at it. I've made all sorts of things. But, I don't make much clothing - everyone prefers store bought. (It also might be a hold over of being forced to wear so many crocheted capes and jumpers as a kid - by 10 I dreaded the Christmas colored versions!)

I am left handed, but I live in a right handed world. (I actually knit right handed) But, we lefties need to know special tricks - so lefties, here I am.

Hey, did I see that Thorny crochets????

He sure does and he does excellent work!! thumbup

I never use patterns I don't get them at all!! Tooo much to think of I am such a non-conformist!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That is so cool - Thorny Crochets!
I can't wait to hear about his projects.
I try to convince my hubby to try it. He has amazing fine motor skills. He ties the tiniest flies. My only concern is that he would out shine too qickly.

Rita, what do you make? I make things from scratch - but my skills have come from patterns. I do patterns and learn from the master's, then combine, create, change or follow along. At this point, I tweek most patterns. And I'll rip something out in a second.

Doily's and blankets.. I stink at using different stitches!! frown shocked

Lemme see if I can find that post OK!!

My grandma crochet's left-handed so it's hard for her to teach me. I am still learning to turn the stitch, it's hard learning remotely. That is a resolution I have for the year: to learn to crochet!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Sarah, wavey
Crochet is like anything else you have to practise. Choose a tv show that you watch that is low maintenance - like deal or no deal, and make that your turning practise time.

Knit and chrochet are both about one thing - Yarn Tension You get good when you learn to control the yarn tension while still allowing the yarn pass freely as you work.

It is hard to learn anything with just a base chain. And chaining is one of the last skills I built speed with.

When I am trying to help someone learn I give them a swatch about 20 accross and few inches long. It is much easier to learn on a piece you can hold readily. I recommend a decent sized hook too (H or I).

Also, Sarah if your grandma is close by the trick is to watch her crochet in a mirror. It will be right handed for you that way. That's how I learened from my mom, who was right handed.

Sarah, Keep with it. clp It's a fun skill to have.

Hey there Jane, nice to have another yarn enthusiast here on the boards. I crochet, have not picked up knitting yet. Working on my 2nd blanket for a friend here at the Forum and do baby blankets when they are needed for friends.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi triss,
I do love to crochet. I knit too, but not as much. A mistake in knit is so much more fatal. You have to keep track of all those individual stitches. I am a frogger... rippit rippit

I would really like making those little knt pieces that lynn made with the heart and dragonfly. That looks fun and my married daughter loves cotton knit washclothes. I love pattern.

Jane - I can give you the links to the dishcloths, but the ones I have are all for knitting - let me know...

I want to learn to knit as well just for those. They are so cute!

I knit and crochet too.
My PB has some pictures under crafts.

Triss - I'm still up for teaching knitting at summer camp - if anyone is still interested in learning then.

There are soooooooooooooooooooooo many patterns for those dishcloths for free online!

Oh yes, I will be bringing along yarn and knitting needles to learn over the summer. Looking very forward to it then!

yes! help! I need advice!
my amiga in Mexico makes these adorable little animals, and i forgot to ask her what kind of yarn she uses, so i can bring her some new colors when i go down there next time. any of you make those little animals? they are stuffed real firm after finishing.
thanks!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey Patunia,
I got peeps in Central Oklahoma... Go Sooners. OU is one of my favorite campuses. Hubby's family is down Seminole way and his sister works in the "city."

About the yarn, Wrennie and plants n' pots make lots of cool small stuff. I avoid it. I am usually in the market to for cotton yarns. I am going to guess they just use Walmart Red Heart yarn. the cheaper the better. There are other yarns that come in smaller skeins that are more like jute, but I think cost wise they are going to say they use red heart.

We'll have to wait and hear...

Wrennnie and Pots grinnnn What kind of yarn to you use to make those adorable tedious little animals and stuff?????

My little mice "critters" are regular acrylic worsted weight yarn.
But
I was thinking next time I make them to try sugar-n-cream or some other 100% cotton yarn, better for kitties not to get fuzz in their throats Duh
Lynne showed me a pattern for a bunny that uses a fuzzy yarn, thay would be an acrylic. So it depends on the pattern or what its being used for or what kind of texture she wants on the finished piece.
Patunia ask your friend.

PS There will also be crochet lessons for anyone who wants at summer camp.
Gonetothebirds are you coming to camp??

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey Wrennie,
I don't think I'll be at camp, but thanks kindly for asking.
I think your raffle idea is good. I might be nice if some of the money went to a charity. You may even be able to find a Katrina gardening effort to donate to. They are getting ready to find out will things re-grow down there.

I love the WM Red heart yarns. They work so well for the afghans that I do. I ran out of yarn again for Vanessa's project, about 15 rows from the end. So I started on a new project for Dan since I am not going out and driving in the snow for yarn. It will be a double thread lap blanket. The width is 3 1/2 feet, length unknown. The colors are coffee, ranch red, carrot and cafe. The coffee color will run throughout and I will be doing blocks of the other colors. It is looking good so far, 6 rows into the project.

Jane - I have been using Red Heart for some of my projects, but I have also found some of it to be very scratchy. It's interesting how some colors are much more so than others. I've also been using some of the other brands, such as Bernat and Caron, and use Patons merino wool for my felted projects.

It is not always "the cheaper the better" by the way.
There are times when I will only buy yarn with my 40% off coupon at those stores, so as to be able to get the "nicer" yarns.

The one time I've used the Sugar 'n Cream cotton "yarn" it felt like I was crocheting with string - very hard on the fingers and hand - no give to it whatsoever - thank goodness it was a small project. I will be using it again to make another cap for our great niece, and hope it isn't as hard on my hands this time.

adorable tedious little animals and stuff?????
Not sure I would classify those projects as "tedious"?
I have fun making things that are "different" - one can only make so many scarves and blankets before that gets boring as all get-out! Duh :rolleyes: And I've learned so many important stitches and styles while doing those animals.

I know you meant no harm - I just disagree. wink

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
plants... I am so sorry. Tedious is the wrong word. You have my sincere admiration. I don't like to make little things. I get it from my mom. She sewed her out, but hated to make clothes for Barbie dolls.
Tiny things are harder. Tricky little boogers with funky little stitch changes. Intricate and tiny and dark yarn colors are always harder. A black mouse would be the worst.

It would make me pull my hair to make some of the amazing cool things you make!!

Do any of you buy yarn on sale at
Herschners.com ?? They have the best sales.

It is best to get on their email list. I got tons of sugar babies baby cotton yarn for 1.19 a skein. I got carried away and I have too much of it, but... plants I love to work in natural fiber -- cotton. Red heart is itchy to me and gives me calluses. I do like simply soft yarn -- but it can be too stretchy.

I have tons of yarn to donate. It's cool to meet crafters. I finally had to take bags of it to the Mission store, but I have lots more yarn in the attic. I inherit the yarn. But, Aunt Lu just passed and she was the last crafter above me. God Bless Aunt Lu!

The kids get home from school soon... I better get rockin'
Lynne, sorry for my poor word choice... oops

No problems at all here, Jane. kissies
I know you were just voicing your opinion, as did I about the cotton yarn.

As for the price on sale at Hershners - the regular price at ACMoore for a skein of Sugar 'n Cream is $1.49, but with a 40% off coupon I can get it for 89 cents, and that's without paying for shipping. Granted, you can only get one ball a day with the coupon, but if I really need more, I can go back in another time. So far, I am only making small items that only require one ball. I do agree that if you need a large quantity that is a great deal!

I'd still love to see some of your handi-work when you get a chance, Jane!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lynne,
Hershcners has out of site clearance sales. Their sales can drive what I make. That would be even more true if I were selling things.

Remember I like to make big things - that's many skeins of yarn.

Did you know that Big Lots (do you have a big lots) gets in tons of yarns now. They get all that stringy, frilly stuff that was $5 and up two years ago for a $1.00 each?

I can't find things to take pictures of. I burned the stove up on November16, last year just before thanksgiving. The resulting mayhem caused a lot of things to be shifted around. I took my finished work, along with all my yarn bins to the attic... I may never see it again...

I did find my bin of unfinished projects... I think I will jump in it and finish something!

Tomorrow when the sun it out.. I'll photograph something! (my unfinished sampler is 4' square and has been screaming at me for years)

Looking very forward to seeing that one Jane and anything else you can find!

I, too, can't wait to see it Jane!

How I wish we had Big Lots here, but we do not.
As a matter of fact, many of the dollar stores have closed up recently too - I guess people like to spend their money around here?!?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard