This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#157186 March 14th, 2007 at 12:24 AM
OP Offline
We Finally get rain and rain and Winds and more winds I drove into rain and hail on the way home from work I could barley see the car infront of me But what I saw when I got home was sad!! eek

My climbing rose 'arch' was snapped by the wind and laying on the ground,and the roses snapped in three piece!! There are Two Long pieces and a short piece!! Are they savagable??? Anyone know if they will reroot?? eek eek eek
[Linked Image]

They should reroot ok, just treat them like regular cutting, but you never know until you stick them back in the ground! good luck thumbup

OP Offline
Thanks Kenny I didn't know whether to stick them in the ground or water first to root I had/have no idea??

I'm pretty sure they need to be in soil to root...use some rooting hormone and I'll say a prayer to the rose fairy for them. Good Luck!!

OOhh Diane...

my sympathies...n i hope u will b able to salvage your poor rose n it will perk up again soon!!

OP Offline
I got another Garden arch today and used the root Hormone( thanks Comfrey!) and place the broken pieces in the soil Keeping fingers crossed!! I don't know which pieces where red and what ones where yellow roses> I had red on one side and yellow on the other Now I just may have a mix which is okay .. laugh What's important is that the pieces take root! thumbup

Oh my goodness! How terrible! It's amazing how strong thunderstorms are out there in your area. Having a thunderstorm here in California is exciting...No threating stuff, but It's interesting to see a straight line wind. My first straight-line wind I saw was in January of 2004. It was amazing!!
It was a beautiful day and around 11am it got so cloudy (DARK) and the wind blow so strong all at once like a hurricane! It was amazing!! No rain fell, but just very strong winds....The rain was to my north.

But anyways, I hope that damage wasn't that much extended. I hope your roses re rooted! this should be the time right??

Oh, Diane, I'm so sorry to hear what happened to your roses. ters Even if the stems don't root I think the mother plants will be okay. wink They'll just take a little while to get back to their original size. :rolleyes:

I love your statue! luv It looks very pretty there. I have St. Francis in my shade garden.

S
S
yep, i agree with patches, the mother plant should be ok, i would prune the mother plant down, make a fresh clean cut, and seal it with elmers glue, [that way no disease or pests get into your rose]

Good advice, Sibyl! thumbup Elmer's white glue would be fine to seal the wound. wink Don't use any of the tar-based products frown on the market for sealing wounds because they can cause more dieback and problems on roses. eek

I trust nothin' in the ground right now - 'cept what's already wintered.

OH DIANE! How terrible for you! kissies will say a prayer to the garden fairy too! I know you can prune your roses back & they will grow new leaves, but I hope replanting them in the ground will root for you! I use Miracle grow root stimulator on EVERYTHING I plant outside. Your backyard is gorgeous by the way! cool

OP Offline
Sybil and Patti ~~ I'd never heard of the elmers glue trick Thanks!!! thumbup The Mother Mary statue I have out there has been outside for the last ten years. Thru all the hail storms, Gusty winds and even when the wind blew the base on to the ground She still came out unscathed! thumbup thumbup

[Linked Image]

Diane, I think Morning Glories would look great on your trellis, Duh One of my high school classmates has Hyacinch Bean growing on her arch and it looks really beautiful! smile I'm going to get some seeds from her this year! wink

S
S
looks good !
i have a few extra cup and saucer vines [cobaea] left if ya want them.

Looks good Diane!

OP Offline
Thanks Penny,, Now to get things back in order out there I don't think the top of the old arch will be stable enough as is I'm thinking of filling the clay pots with sand and rock to give it some stability it's pretty wabblely as is ,, I'm afraid if vines grow on it the weight of the vines make make it lean one way or the other laugh But I'm determined to make this work!! I do have purple hiacynth bean seeds and a few other vining seeds now I'm just deciding which to use!! lala laugh

I think the purple Hyacinth beans vines are very pretty. thumbup

OP Offline
Patti I have already dug some PHBean Vines seeds out and planted two on each side and decided on pastel sweet pea in the middle of those .. we'll see which one comes up and reaches out first! laugh laugh Thanks for your vote of confidence!! kissies grinnnn

Diane, for my trellises I buy the green metal fence posts to support them. Since I don't want the wood touching the ground, frown I put a half of a brick under the wood and a stake in the middle then I use plastic ties to secure the trellis. They have kept my trellises secure and in place thumbup through all the strong windstorms we get in the sring. eek They are pretty cheap, about $2.00 for one that is 36" long, but the price goes up a little the longer they are. I get mine at Ace Hardware for about $2.00 each, but I'm sure Lowe's & Home Depot have them too. wink

Here's a picture of a trellis I built that shows what it looks like (the green thing) and how I fastened it. You can see one of the plastic ties above the second cross piece, but there are more higher up because the trellis is over 6". They even have a triangle thing near the bottom to keep the stake in place. thumbup

[Linked Image]

OP Offline
HEY Now that's an excellent idea and lowcost too!! Actually I think we have a couple of those in the garage!!! I have some zip ties I could wrap around it to secure it too~ Now that would Work!!! Thanks Patti!! kissies thumbup thumbup

Diane, you're welcome! wink I think they will do the trick and you will be very pleased. smile They do an awesome job! thumbup

On the ladder trellises I make, I use two, one on each side of the trellis, but I don't think your arch looks very wide, so one in the middle on each side should be fine. wink

OP Offline
I thinking one in the middle of each side too should do it I looked and I do have two @ 36" high I can always get more if I need too ace hardware is ten minutes from work! thumbup I might ask Jimmy if he has any laying around he's not going to use anytime soon!! idea laugh laugh

Diane, be sure to let me know how this works out for you. wink I always like any quick and good fixes that are cheap! laugh laugh

What color Sweet Pea are you planting? wavey and let him know that he and his family are always in my thoughts and prayers. angell

OP Offline
Patty the sweet peas are "pastel" seeds I got from Njoynit I don't know if they are fragrant or not but I thought the color would soften all the hardware that will be around it and make the purple hiacynth color 'Pop' in contrast. Oh Oh I snuck in a start of yelta MG flower along with Just in case some of the seeds don't come up it's blue with a purple star in the throat.

I certainly will pass the Message to Jimmy! thumbup grinnnn

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard