This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#156638 January 8th, 2007 at 12:31 AM
OP Offline
Well... the weather is actually going to turn colder this week - highs only in the low 40's and even down into the 30's! Duh

I couldn't really find yarn to match the "different" green of her scarf, but finally found a multi-colored green yesterday, and set out to make the first mitten after dinner. I started around 8:30, and finally finished it at 1:45a.m., after much measuring back and forth on Amy's hand. I also had to "frog" a few rows a couple of times. (Remember that "frogging" means ripping out rows - because you "rippit, rippit, rippit! laugh )

It looks much longer here than it actually is, but I think it came out pretty well for my first attempt! shocked Also with the store-bougth scarf:

[Linked Image]... [Linked Image]

Now if only my hands will hold up for me to make the second one today!!!

#156639 January 8th, 2007 at 12:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That is a fine mitten you have there!

I always frog a lot when trying something new. Hey, circular needles are the same as regular.

Mittens are tough stuff ... it really is a great first one. and it only took you five hours. Of course, you didn't count the research, planning and picking stuff out time. For me, that can take longer than the project itself.

#156640 January 8th, 2007 at 12:56 AM
OP Offline
Hi there Jane!!!

I would love love love to see some of your work!
Any chance you could take some pictures?
I know in Thorny's thread you said that you didn't have any pictures of your work, but we'd all love to see some of it! Duh

#156641 January 8th, 2007 at 01:08 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi "Pots"
That is a great story. It's cool your remember you mashed potato and spinach mittens. I hope your daughter remembers that mittens you made her too.

I have a couple baby blankets in reserve I could click. I used to make these sets - I'd make a baby blanket, then the same blanket in minature (doll house size) and give them the two blankets and a miniature afghan rack - that was so the mom's wouldn't have to worry about the origianl being used or ruined --- they'd have the miniature forever.

But, these days I don't do much work with tiny little hooks. I used to love them.

#156642 January 8th, 2007 at 04:55 AM
S
S
WOW Lynne it looks great! love the color green! laugh thumbup hope ya get the otherone made!

#156643 January 8th, 2007 at 09:33 AM
OP Offline
Jane - that is such a sweet and terrific idea!
I've never heard of anyone doing that before, but what a fantastic way to have a keepsake and use the blanket at the same time - you're a genius! thumbup

#156644 January 8th, 2007 at 10:01 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I love those mittens Lynne, and the colors! I'd wear them! thumbup

#156645 January 8th, 2007 at 10:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lynne,
I am wondering how that second mitten is going. I bet you make it much quicker. The trick is going to be making sure they look like a pair.
I hope you tood good notes wink

#156646 January 8th, 2007 at 11:10 AM
OP Offline
Thanks loz and sibyl! kissies

Jane - I'm just about done with the second one - just a few more inches on the fingers part! The thing of it is... because it's a mutli-colored yarn, I can't predict the pattern - it's actually coming out almost exactly the opposite of the first one - the outside of the right hand is looking like a copy of the inside of the left - too weird!!!

#156647 January 8th, 2007 at 10:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey Lynne,
Varigated yarns can do some funny stuff.

When I make an afghan using varigated yarn and it's time to start a new skein of yarn -- I actually, attach the new yarn to be sure the random pattern is in exactly the same random order of the one I am currently using.

It drove mom crazy. I could cut of 3-4 feet of yarn off and waste it, just to make it start and where in pattern. A pattern that mom swore didn't exist.

God Bless Mom... This was our 7th Christmas without her... It was a great holiday season. I almost never cry or get sad about her being gone anymore. It's all smiles now. I see her twirling that wasted yarn around in her fingers and in her mind -- trying to figure out how to somehow use those little pieces of yarn for the greater good.

I love you Mom - My joys today are for you!
Hey, everyone remember to give your Mom some loving today - whether in thoughts, prayers, or if your lucky enough from the phone, computer or in person.

#156648 January 8th, 2007 at 10:40 PM
Those are great Lynne and i LOVE the color!!!

#156649 January 9th, 2007 at 12:09 AM
Yet another winner,Lynne grinnnn

#156650 January 9th, 2007 at 02:42 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Penny and Angie! Duh perpl
[Linked Image]

#156651 January 9th, 2007 at 02:53 AM
Both sides look good to me Lynne....well done~~~!!!

#156652 January 9th, 2007 at 04:21 AM
OP Offline
WOW!!! While knitting these mittens I remembered a hat I had bought while living in Alaska 30 YEARS AGO!!! I still have the hat - it was even in the coat closet here - though I haven't worn it for a very long time. It was Don's favorite when we first were dating. laugh shocked

So, I pulled it out, and it's a PERFECT MATCH!
But... Amy will not wear it of course - it's not her style. (can't say I blame her!) But it amazes me how the colors are exactly the same - 30 years later!

[Linked Image]

#156653 January 9th, 2007 at 06:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow that is freaky Lynne! You're right--exact match!

Heck I'd wear that hat now! thumbup

And the mittens look like a perfect match to me.....They're really nice. thumbup

#156654 January 9th, 2007 at 10:48 PM
Thats so neat Lynne and they are a match....great job!!!!

#156655 January 15th, 2007 at 05:29 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lynne,
I love your knitting journal. I appreciate your ablility to make such intricate (bitchy) things. I love the bear dolls. i really love it all.

I am not organized enough to take pictures, much less put together the nice journal you have done. Thanbks for sharing it with me.

Do you dye yarn just because it's fun?

Hey, I can't figure out what a diaper cover is?

#156656 January 15th, 2007 at 05:46 AM
Love the hat and the mittens. I would wear that in a heartbeat. Great job Lynne!

#156657 January 17th, 2007 at 06:11 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by GonetotheBirds:
Lynne,
I love your knitting journal. I appreciate your ablility to make such intricate (bitchy) things. I love the bear dolls. i really love it all.

I am not organized enough to take pictures, much less put together the nice journal you have done. Thanbks for sharing it with me.

Do you dye yarn just because it's fun?

Hey, I can't figure out what a diaper cover is?
Well Jane... I must say that you have a "different" way with words than I am used to in describing my work! laugh Duh First I read the "tedious" description, and now this! To each their own I suppose! Duh wink

The only reason I dyed the yarn that time, was because turquoise is my all-time favorite color, and at that time I could not find any wool locally in that color for my catbed. A few companies have since come out with a few shades of turquoise this year, but I still would dye some to get other interesting colors. The interesting thing that I found out about that Patons merino yarn is... some white yarns are bleached to get them so white, and will not hold a dye - I guess I got lucky with this brand and will continue to use it if I want to dye wool yarn.

A diaper cover is just that! In the olden days, they were made out of wool, or other natural fibers and used over cloth diapers - it helped keep the outer layer dry, as you probably know that wool wicks moisture. I had made that one for looks only - to be worn over a disposable diaper - again learning new steps along the way. But... I never did finish it, because I didn't know how to crochet around the legs to finish it off. If another baby girl comes into my life, I might consider finishing it for them.

Link Copied to Clipboard