This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#156454 March 17th, 2007 at 05:43 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
The church that we have been going to is just starting their Awana program and I was wondering if anyone else knew what it was and participated in it. Stephen went through the program until he was 16...but we are both working in the program now, I as a secretary and he as a leader for the T&T group. Leaders who have never done Awana can also work through the various age brackets and books just as a child does...and I am doing that right now. I have just passed my Cubbie Hug Brochure and will get my vest and book tomorrow evening (although my vest is just a banner cause I'm a 'big kid'). Leaders can also work towards different awards. I'm working towards my first Take It to Heart pin. To get it, I have to memorize and recite 1 Cor. 13. I figure it will take me about a week to get it memorized and recited. Oh, I am also being awarded my BT pin. You get it after going to 2 specific days of training and memorizing the 6 key verses of Awana.

So, does anyone else have kids in Awana or participate in the program???

#156455 March 17th, 2007 at 06:33 PM
S
S
never herd of it jen, but i think its great you and stephen are in it! T&T is that a teen group? what all do you do? laugh now im curious what all awana dose!

#156456 March 17th, 2007 at 06:53 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
T&T is for 3rd grade through 5th grade. They do have a teen program....its called Trek.

Awana meets once a week and is a church program for kids/youth. They work their way through books and do lots of memorization stuff. The night is a fast moving night not lasting more than 2 hours. Ours is like 1 1/2 hours. They have an opening ceremony, a council time, game time, and book time, and then a closing ceremony type thing.

I'm a secretary, so I just check kids in and make sure we have everything we need and make sure kids get the awards that they are supposed to get on time. Stephen is a leader, so he is with the same group all the time and helps them during the book time.

#156457 March 17th, 2007 at 10:27 PM
S
S
sounds like a good way to get the kids intrested in learning! and having fun, thats great your church dose that. our church has a teen youth group, and just sunday school for the younger kids. the youth group gets to do alot more. my daughter is into it.

#156458 March 17th, 2007 at 10:30 PM
S
S
after your done with the books, do you get to be a leader?

#156459 March 17th, 2007 at 11:11 PM
we have a program similiar to Awana ~ kids up to 7th grade goto Footprints after school on Wed's til 6 then the 7th graders go thru Confirmation class smile I used to help volunteer and do the crafts & snacks til my job schedule changed and doesn't allow me to anymore ~

joni

#156460 March 18th, 2007 at 04:32 AM
We were involved in Awana in Nebraska, it is a great program for kids. I am sure you are going to have a wonderful time with it Jenn!

#156461 March 18th, 2007 at 05:55 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by sibyl:
after your done with the books, do you get to be a leader?
There are special role books that you have to read and be tested on to be a leader, but you don't have to actually go through the program. I think you have to be 16 to be a leader in training, so that's the youngest you could be. They do have clubs that go into the highschool ages, but alot of churches to not do those because they have youth groups.

I have 1/2 of my first Take It to Heart section memorized. Just 6 more verses to go. thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard