This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#15637 February 29th, 2004 at 10:16 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Ok good news on the trunk, It has a wider base then I previously imagined, bad news on the buds, there either are none or are too small for me to notice, the only one I see is a new one underneath one of the main branches and then of coarse the buds that were present when I bought it have opened. I don't really want to cut anything off yet because some of the new growth that wasn't in buds when i bought it is still looking sickly and drooping. ters The more mature leaves are strong and healthy though so I'm thinking that even if those few bunches don't make it I still have the newest growth and the older. Also another thing I found were tiny bugs! They are tiny black bugs that can fly extreamly well, they resemble gnats and I'm fairly positive that they are, my question why are they hanging around my tree and can they hurt it?

#15638 February 29th, 2004 at 11:14 PM
A
A
It might still be better to just cut off the new growth because since it's not in the best condition it could cause them to use up even more energy on them and drain the plants energy. Remember that it's a hardy plant. My anut and uncle have one that they thought was dead because they watered with vinegar insted of water. they rinsed it through very thuroughly and all the leaves fell of but it came back in a month or so! Also you can cut all the leaves off once a year to get smaller leaves so it shouldn't hurt it.
As for the bugs soap them with a few drops of ivory soap to a liter and if that doesn't work I think BT is the thing to use. It's an organic pesticide I think.

#15639 March 1st, 2004 at 12:49 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Alright I'll wait a few more days, then pinch them off if they arn't getting better. I guess it's hurting the plant more than helping it hey? I mean if it's draining energy rather than helping make it. As for the bugs I shall soap them like you said. I've been trying to drown them by knocking them into water but the keep flying away so I'll use soap. Thanks alot. Also I think the mass is creating a breeding spot for them because inside of it it's moist and cool. I'll let it dry out completly, to kill eggs and stuff, before I water it next time.

#15640 March 1st, 2004 at 12:57 AM
B
OP Offline
B
*moss not mass, sorry for the confusion. Btw, my topic is on fire! grinnnn

#15641 March 1st, 2004 at 01:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The new growth is not draining energy from your plant. The growth hormones are concentrated in the growing tips so that is where all the new growth is. Constant pinching will sometimes cause the growth hormones to move lower in the stem and cause new branches, but that is rare with an Arboricola.

To get new growth closer to the main stem, you have to cut the existing stems back to that main stem. In fact, that is what someone else did to get the side growth that is on yours.

Fungus gnats emerge from the gnat larvae that are in the top layer of the soil. The winged adults only live for about a week and then die on their own.

Remove and discard all loose suface soil from the plant, getting right down to the top of the rootball. Also get rid of all the moss. Be sure to allow the top quarter of the rootball to dry in between waterings. Not only is that better for the plant, but the larvae cannot survive long in dry soil. Adding a thin layer of sand on the surface of the rootball will also serve as a deterrent to the gnat larvae.

#15642 March 1st, 2004 at 05:12 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Wow, thanks alot for the advice. I'll remember that, and I guess I won't pinch them off. Thanks for the information on the gnats.

#15643 March 1st, 2004 at 07:39 PM
A
A
Sorry.
All I ment was that the energy is directed there insted of to where you'd like it to be. If I can find out more about that tecnique I'll tell you but I was refering to if it was used. As I said befor I wish I knew more about arboricola's growth habit.

#15644 March 2nd, 2004 at 01:16 AM
B
OP Offline
B
I know what you are refering to, I've read about it, unfortunantly I'm unable to acess my book as of just now. I do remember that it usually onl works well on select trees. ters

#15645 March 2nd, 2004 at 07:55 AM
A
A
Well... I'll have to think and keep my eyes open for more ideas for you. It's fun trying to help you as all my trees are in no need of training at the moment, but spring is coming! I'll have fresh new wild bonsai material to feed my adiction! I hope I'm being somewhat helpfull and not just confusing you. I'm kind of board at the moment so to finish unconfusing the things I've sugested... The new growth I would take off because the closer to the trunk all of your growth is the more likely it will be to sprout from the trunk. Also it would do no harm either way but the more compact the growth on those branches the less thick those branches will be compared to the trunk. A conterary method is to alow periods of free growth and then pruning it back after. This lets the roots grow more. A tree should get a period of free growth once a year anyways in spring and with your tree I would think at the same time as pruning it back then complealy defoiated as well. One thing I'm unclear of with arboricola is what grows back after pinching. Is it just a new leaflet that will eventualy turn into a new shoot? Or is it like a branch with the leaflet on the side? Well I hope this clairifies something as apposed to being more confusing. I hope you can get everything planed out well!

#15646 March 3rd, 2004 at 01:31 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for unconfusing things. I have no idea how big the root system is so I think I'll let it grow for a bit more at least until I know more about the growth patterens because there is no point getting rid of it if it won't help. One of the bunches though seems damaged beyond repair and turning brown, it'll be dead soon so I'll take it off. When there is a bud it slowly unfurls into the tiny umbrella and as it grows a new tiny branch grows too. It's so cute to watch! flw

#15647 March 3rd, 2004 at 01:34 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Oh and after pinching it is a branch with a leaflet to the side, I have a few of those already on. Btw, the canopy already has a nice shape, in a little bit I might do some matenance pruning to keep it that way while I wait for a shoot on the top.

#15648 March 9th, 2004 at 11:43 PM
A
A
I haven't been on this site long enough to post anything for awhile. They seem like neat plants!
I was thinking you might want to check out a bonzai forum that I'm on. I've found the bonsai masters on it to be a little moody but they have good intentions and alot of expirience to share. Bonsai Help is the site. wink

#15649 March 10th, 2004 at 02:37 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks, I'll check it out.

#15650 March 10th, 2004 at 02:49 AM
A
A
Looks like the link isn't working but the adress does so if you just type that in...
Sorry. I don't know what I do wrong but seems I can't get those sort of things to work Duh

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard