This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#155401 March 22nd, 2007 at 12:16 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
I get so frustrated when I don't see my seeds popping - maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Each year, I deadhead my own stuff, and other people's stuff - I dry my seeds, then loosely pack them in bags - preferably paper.

Some of the pots I have on the windowsill have been in there a month and I haven't seen a speck of green.

Is there something I can be doing?

There's plenty of sunlight in that window and I do keep the topsoil moist.

Would putting them in the sink for a good steam help any?

#155402 March 22nd, 2007 at 12:25 AM
have you tried covering them with plastic wrap?

how warm are they?

don't water from the top, if you didn't know that..

I lost all my snapdragons, lavender, and tomatoes because of damping off, which is from watering from the top.. had to start over.. :p

only water when the soil is dry, then don't water again, until it is dry again...water from the bottom, let the water absorb into it.. then take it out once it's wet at the top...
maybe what you're planting takes a while to germinate? I know things like columbines take a while.. Duh

I'm not exactly sure as to what else, because the things I restarted won't sprout.. thumbup

--mark--

#155403 March 22nd, 2007 at 06:01 PM
I can check my 'bible' on seed starting if you tell me what kind of seeds. I haven't had any problems at all with all the seeds I've started.

#155404 March 22nd, 2007 at 10:55 PM
**hey Patty, could you possibly check lavender, bachelor buttons, tomatoes, and blanket flower for me?!?! kissies kissies thumbup

--mark--

#155405 March 23rd, 2007 at 12:40 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, that explains everything - I've been watering from the top.

No - I didn't use plastic wrap.

I do have a few sprouts, but not as much as I'd like to see.

Grrrrrrrr . . .

Oh, well - guess it's 'whatyouseeiswhatyouget'.

#155406 March 23rd, 2007 at 01:35 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Carly, can you tell us what seeds you're tryin' to start, and maybe we can fine tune each individual one/kind..
Some need light, some need a fine covering/layer of soil, some of the bigger one's need to be into the soil a certain depth...
Some seeds need to go thru a cold period before they are viable...
So, let us know which one's you're tryin', okay??

Link Copied to Clipboard