This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#15453 May 30th, 2004 at 08:19 PM
G
G
Bark is the "standard" medium of choice for planting orchids. It's not "the best", but it's workable. Some people add sphagnum, perlite, coconut husk or coconut shell chips. Basically anything that will allow a mechanical hold on the plant, and doesn't rot too fast. Since orchid roots ae so sensitive to rot, the medium has to be kept airy, and be allowed to drain and dry rapidly.

THere's also another technique called "Semi-Hydro" that is being used by a lot of people. more info here: www.firstrays.com

#15454 May 30th, 2004 at 11:36 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Thanks, Sam! I put a little perlite in with it, but probably not as much as I was supposed to. It seems to be doing pretty good, though. Those two new leaves are growing bigger everyday.

#15455 May 31st, 2004 at 02:20 AM
Nako Offline OP
Greenhouse Pixie
OP Offline
Greenhouse Pixie
Mine's starting to grow a new leave as well ^.^ Mine started out with one leaf that looks like it got cut off, so i bought it cuz it looked like a challange... plus it had speckled blue and white flowers ^.^ *grins all stupid like*

I guess i'll add some sphagnum moss to the mix ^.^ I'll do it later though, when its all used to the fact that its been repotted. When i got mine, it was potted in some weird yellow stringy moss that looked like fuzzy worms. I had a hard time telling it from the roots >.<

#15456 May 31st, 2004 at 03:44 AM
G
G
Correction:

LIVE sphagnum moss, not dried peat. Like the yellow stringy stuff...peat retains lots of moisture and if you aren't in a totally dry area, if it stays wet and there's not good air space and whatnot, it can rot your roots in short order.

If I can recommend a book, it's inexpensive-Ortho has a book on beginner orchid care. Costs around $12 or something and it's a great beginner's book.

Sam

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard