This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#152426 October 27th, 2006 at 10:41 PM
I've gotten copies of obits a few different ways.

Some newpapers have archives on line that you can access, some free and some pay. Some newspapers have a telephone number for their archives department so you have to call and get the info and price list.

I've also gotten old obituaries, from the late 1800's, from county historical societies. you can find their information at the web site I have below.
You may get real lucky and find that someone has acually posted the obit you are looking for online. Many of the county's found on
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~cgaunt/gen_web.html
have obituaries posted

I don't know where to get a ships manifest, there may be a site on www.cyndislist.com that can tell you. She has a ittle bit of everything

#152427 October 28th, 2006 at 08:47 AM
About ship manifest: You can go to Ellis Island when you get the page that has the info you want, click on view manifest, then click on I think it is large, then copy and paste....Print Later or there is an option to order a nice copy from them.

Jayhawk is correct about obits, alot of newspapers are online have obits archived. But your best bet is to just call the newspaper and tell them what you want. Most large Libraries have all the newspapers on microfilm also and you would be able to get a copy. So there are alot of options.

#152428 October 30th, 2006 at 01:51 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Jayhawk...I got lucky! The person I spoke about above.....with all that research whose tree merges in with ours.....he had obits posted!!!! laugh I was soooo excited. He also had ALOT of the headstones that I needed also. THEN I found a site that has alot of headstones for the different cemetaries in PA, so I was able to get even more. I'm soooo excited!

The awful thing is that I get soo excited when I find something that I almost say something to Stephen and then stop just in time. laugh laugh I can't wait until Christmas so that I can tell him stuff when I find it.

#152429 October 30th, 2006 at 02:09 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Comfrey, Ellis Island search doesn't work for me.....the immigration information I'm looking for is for someone who came in 1733....40 years before the Declaration of Independance was even signed....I don't think Ellis Island was there yet! laugh

#152430 October 30th, 2006 at 03:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
1733? wow, that ones going to be tough!! and, no, ellis island wasn't the only place people came here through - even during the years it was in the most use (my great grandmother on my mom's side came in through philadelphia and my grandmother on my dad's side came in through ellis - and they were the same age. g-g-mom came here earlier - to philly - and g-mom arrived a few years later through ellis...don't know the rhyme/reason for it. maybe it depended on the company running the ship?

to investigate, you'll need to know what city they came in to as well as where they came from in europe and then you'll have to research what companies had ships going to/from those ports. at that time, i'd think most of them would be located in england or europe - so there may be a language issue if, say, you can't read italian. the company records may not even be in existance either - due to time as well as companies going out of business. you'd probably do better with searching church/synagoge records in the town they were born in. and the census records might give you something. good luck!

#152431 October 30th, 2006 at 06:45 AM
B
B
Hi, there!

I've been researching my family and husband's family roots. Lots of fun!!

I'm just trying to make sense of it all.....It's a bit intimidating....

Hey, hisgal 2!!! Glad to see ya again, sweetie!!!

Barb H.

#152432 October 31st, 2006 at 01:00 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Joclyn...I actually know when he came. He arrived on September 18, 1733 on the ship Pennsylvania Merchant. He came in to Philadelphia. I have found passenger lists for that particular boat on that date and have found his name, but these lists are just typed lists. I want to see the actual logs....like how I have copies of the actual census pages from different years....I want the copy of the page that has his name on it. I haven't been able to find it on Ancestry...and they are usually pretty good with stuff like that, I've done a google for the list, and just keep finding typed lists.

Barb, do you have a program that you put all of your info in?? That's helps ALOT. I use RootMagic and I bought it online for $30...you pay online and then just download it.....ultra simple. Its a really nice program.

#152433 October 31st, 2006 at 04:01 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
if all you're coming up with is typed out listings, the actual logs may no longer be in existance. have you tried contacting any place in philadelphia?? not sure who you should contact...those records have to be here somewhere!! might be the city itself (good luck navigating their website, lol) or maybe one of the museums down at penn's landing would have what you're looking for.

#152434 October 31st, 2006 at 04:26 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
I don't know. Although, I know there is some kind of place that has census records and all sorts of stuff available that I can go and copy. I'm going to have to try to remember where that was so I can go down and look stuff up.

Joclyn, I didn't realize that you are in philly! I'm only about an hour away....depending where in philly. Off subject...did the ban on smoking indoors go through? Cause I've been dying to go to a bar with no smoking policies....I'm allergic to smoke big time.

#152435 November 3rd, 2006 at 08:10 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok, it looks like the National Archives and Records Administration has the list on microfilm....not sure what that means, but I can at least go and look....there are other things there that I want to try to find also. There are 2 in Philadelphia....I probably won't go to the one in center city because I can't stand paying for parking!

#152436 November 13th, 2006 at 07:29 AM
Ancestry is offering free access (with registration) to their recently
updated online ship passenger lists and immigration records collection from
November 9-30, 2006, including their newly updated New York passenger lists
database, which now covers 1820-1957.

#152437 November 13th, 2006 at 11:33 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
I will check them again for what I'm looking for. Thanks for letting us know.

#152438 December 18th, 2006 at 05:52 PM
G
James from VNC Web Design
James from VNC Web Design
G
Here comes Moguai out of the woodworks lol...

My :thinks of relation: second aunt (thats what my grandma's sister is no?) is a mormon (no offense to anyone) and when she joined "the church" they're expected to draw up a family tree, and they seem to have pretty good resources.

I've found some good from sites like ancestry.com

I've used several differant software titles to build my tree on http://tree.corthell.net (I hope bill doesn't mind my posting it) but 've been at it for a while, i've even found some things out about my half brother's familyt aht he dind't even know, so it can get really exciting.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard