This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#150674 December 30th, 2005 at 10:45 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Alrighty, I need your help! As alot of you know Stephen and I are designing the house that we will be building when we move. The most important room right now is the kitchen. We have sort of put together a list of appliances and other features that we will want, but more minds in the bowl will help us think of things we might not have thought of otherwise. smile

We do know what we want a cook top on an island and oven somewhere else....double ovens or one full and one half.....what's your opinion??? What else would you put in your dream kitchen if you had the opportunity???

#150675 December 30th, 2005 at 11:07 PM
I love old fashioned country kichens: a big table in the middle where the kids can be doing home work on one end while I'm rolling dough on the other end. Double ovens and a cooktop; there I'd go modern with a smooth top that's easy to clean. Glass fronted cupboards. Ahh. You got me dreaming.
~Tina

#150676 December 30th, 2005 at 11:07 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
....double ovens or one full and one half.....what's your opinion???
I have had 2 double ovens in my kitchen before...and it was wonderful when cooking for my family when they came over. If you have a turkey in one oven, you need another full size oven for other stuff.

I always liked having my pots and pans and utensils hanging from racks so I could just reach up and grab what I needed without having to dig through cabinets and drawers.

#150677 December 30th, 2005 at 11:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How about an Island with a sink,stovetop,food prep area and a breakfast bar on the other side.

Double ovens are great,I had them too and they were wonderful when we had lots of cooking to do thumbup

How about a bay window with plant shelves to grow herbs on.

A pantry would be good too.

How about a computer desk/office area?

#150678 December 31st, 2005 at 12:25 AM
AV Queen
AV Queen
A bosch dishwasher...the house we bought last came with one and I will never be without again. They may be pricey, but they are worth their weight in gold. thumbup

All of my pots and pans are on roll-out shelves...makes life so much easier.

A garbage disposal...because I hate cleaning out drains.

Undercabinet lighting...it really makes a huge difference.

Tile countertops...never going back to formica!

I don't think I personally would do two ovens, but I can see why you would. I would use the extra space to hide my microwave, instead of having it sitting on the counter.

Instant hot water at the kitchen sink. The unit is only $100 and is one of the things I use most in my kitchen.

#150679 December 31st, 2005 at 12:27 AM
Snow Bunny
Snow Bunny
definately double ovens. Maybe even a warming drawer in the island also. Along with a recycling center. I'm with G-mom on the pantry also.

#150680 December 31st, 2005 at 12:40 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
A walk in pantry for sure! I miss my warming oven a lot..but in our other house ther was an area (I don't know if I can explain it) that had a "special" cabinet for the trash can...the door had a hole cut out that made the trash easily accessable but not out in the open. Above it was 2 shelves, one for the coffee maker and one for the micraowave...it was absolutely my favorite thing in any kitchen I have ever had. And..I will figure out a way to have another area just like it where ever we end up. They coffee maker & microwave just take up a lot of space otherwise. I also want to have a built in cutting board in my counter top. When designing a kitchen, there is a "triangle" method for the stove, fridge & sink...so that they will all be within easy access and there isn't a lot of walking between the three!

~V~

#150681 December 31st, 2005 at 01:11 AM
hi jenn,

i m so exited for you,very nice to be able to design and plan the house;we d want to do that also in a couple a years,good luck !!

my ideas are those:

an extendable fawcett,a soap dispenser cause evendaugh you ve got a dishwasher you may want to handwash special things.a magnetic bar fix to the wall near the stove where you put herbs and spices in little tin cooki boxes(little ones of course),you can find some beautiful one with nice painting if your lucky reproductions of monet s or dalhi s are very nice.

i totaly agree with the lights under the cabinet ,the walk in pantry,the hidden microwave,pots and pans on roll on is a terrific idea,and all in all thosse all aregreat ideas.

good luck!

#150682 December 31st, 2005 at 01:16 AM
A pull out spice drawer, a built in cutting board, lots of plug-ins for appliances, a cover up for the range hood, lots of open cupboard space and to top it all off a kitchen aid mixer sitting on your counter.

#150683 December 31st, 2005 at 01:23 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I would love a pantry...
One for food, and one for small appliance's..
Just walk in an get one, instead of having to
have them hidden in the back of a cabinet on the bottom, and you have to move everything out of the way..grrrrrr...

And pull out shelves for pots and pans..that extend all the way out...**I like the hanging pot idea, but think of all the dust or flies that would land on it..some pots I use all the time, some only for certain dinners...

And a pull out garbage drawer for putting in compost.. and another one for recycling all the different things...

and a couple of sinks at least if you have two people in the kitchen it's great...

And I've seen where people put an office space
by the kitchen, we're always doing stuff like that and it's nice to have it right in there...

I'd like a big commercial stove too, with two ovens, 6 or 8 burners, a griddle and a charbroiler..

#150684 December 31st, 2005 at 01:49 AM
A food prep sink with cutting board with a hole in it that leads to the disposal/compost bin. An extra deep sink on one of the 2 sinks for those large pans. Sky lights and bay windows. Lots and lots of cabinates.

#150685 December 31st, 2005 at 01:49 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
I have a friend that has an Oster kitchen center installed in her counter top that I love! The motor is actually sunk in to the counter and has a cover over it...but when you need the mixer, blender or processor...you just take the cover off and attach it to the built in motor...it is So nice...a bit pricey..but it would be well worth it for me. Saves a ton of space!

~V~

#150686 December 31st, 2005 at 01:54 AM
That sounds good Vanessa.

You know what else would be cool. Recessed spaces for the coffeepot, toaster, etc Then they could be seen and used, but not take up that counter space.

#150687 December 31st, 2005 at 01:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How about a bay window with plant shelves to grow herbs on
Ooo yes, a garden window! thumbup

And I agree with Sarah, gotta have a garbage disposal....

Over the range microwave....I love my deep double sinks....I really was adamant about not having shiny stainless steel....

Ummmm, a pantry is great for foods and appliances but it's also nice for a place to hide the broom and dustpan too.... thumbup

#150688 December 31st, 2005 at 01:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You know what else would be cool. Recessed spaces for the coffeepot, toaster, etc Then they could be seen and used, but not take up that counter space.
You know you can get what are called appliance garages that fit in the corners of your countertops....sort of like a great big rolltop cabinet thumbup .....I wanted one but never did get it.

#150689 December 31st, 2005 at 06:46 AM
I don't really want my stuff hidden though, just out of the way. I use my toaster, coffeepot and kitchen aid almost daily and don't want to haul them in and out of a cupboard. So they sit on my counter taking up space. I would love to have them sitting in the wall so to speak taking up space there but easy to get to.

#150690 January 2nd, 2006 at 04:24 AM
About twice as much counter space as you think you will need and lots of drawers. My sister just had her kitchen "fixed" and she had the counter tops custom designed to her height - much more comfortable than standard if you are tall or short. She also put in a dishwasher that has a separate flat top rack (not a basket) for silverware, everything gets cleaned the first time, plus you can pick it all up by the handles without risking it not getting clean when it is pointed down in the basket.

A friend just put in a lazy susan corner cabinet that spins but also unfolds and pulls out. And another one put in a pantry in between the garage and the kitchen and unloads groceries right into the pantry after shopping. This all started to make my own kitchen look pretty old and dowdy except that I have lots of windows and that is my favorite.

#150691 January 2nd, 2006 at 05:06 AM
I ak looking into redoing my kitchen as well, I want LOTS of plugins, I don't want to have to get something off the shelf and plug it in, I want it ready to use.

I want LOTS of counter top, and cabinets. A big pantry. A big windows for plants and herbs, this sitting a some kind of sink with a water fauset.

I have a small slide in oven already that I will be installing.

Also since I do a lot of cooking and canning, I would like to add a second single sink and a gas burner top.

#150692 January 2nd, 2006 at 12:28 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
I have been ready through all of these and realized just how very spoiled I was to having been able to design my bakery myself...everything was in a hands reach...all of my drawers were in moble units that I could roll to what ever area I was working in..it was like Heaven to me...and so fun! So, now I am trying to figure out how to turn an entire house into a kitchen...hey...who needs a living room when you have such a GREAT kitchen??? laugh Works for me!

~V~

#150693 January 4th, 2006 at 11:06 AM
A pantry!!! They are soo useful! Canned goods-extra big roasting pans-so nice! A really deep sink. Racks for the pots and pans- lights under the cabients are nice to.

#150694 January 4th, 2006 at 11:27 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Erm......Food?

Link Copied to Clipboard