This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#149700 August 9th, 2006 at 07:04 AM
comfrey Offline OP
OP Offline
The Daffodil Principle

Several times my daughter had telephoned to say, "Mother, you must come to see the daffodils before they are over."

I wanted to go, but it was a two-hour drive from Laguna to Lake Arrowhead.

"I will come next Tuesday," I promised a little reluctantly on her third call.

Next Tuesday dawned cold and rainy. Still, I had promised, and reluctantly I drove there.

When I finally walked into Carolyn's house I was welcomed by the joyful sounds of happy children. I delightedly hugged and greeted my grandchildren.

"Forget the daffodils, Carolyn! The road is invisible in these clouds and fog, and there is nothing in the world except you and these children that I want to see badly enough to drive another inch!"

My daughter smiled calmly and said, "We drive in this all the time, Mother."

"Well, you won't get me back on the road until it clears, and then I'm heading for home!" I assured her.

"I was hoping you'd take me over to the garage to pick up my car."

"How far will we have to drive?" "Oh...just a few blocks," Carolyn said. "But I'll drive. I'm used to this."

After several minutes, I had to ask, "Where are we going? This isn't the way to the garage!"

"We're going to my garage the long way," Carolyn smiled, "by way of the daffodils."

"Carolyn," I said sternly, "please turn around."

"It's all right, Mother, I promise. You will never forgive yourself if you miss this experience."

After about twenty minutes, we turned onto a small gravel road and I saw a small church. On the far side of the Church, I saw a hand lettered sign with an arrow that read, "Daffodil Garden."

We got out of the car, each took a child' s hand, and I followed Carolyn down the path. Then, as we turned a corner, I looked up and gasped. Before me lay the most glorious sight. It looked as though someone had taken a great vat of gold and poured it over the mountain peak and it's surrounding slopes.

The flowers were planted in majestic, swirling patterns, great ribbons and swaths of deep orange, creamy white, lemon yellow, salmon pink, and saffron and butter yellow. Each different-colored variety was planted in large groups so that it swirled and flowed like its own river with its own unique hue. There were five acres of flowers.

"Who did this?" I asked Carolyn.

"Just one woman," Carolyn answered. "She lives on the property. That's her home."

Carolyn pointed to a well-kept A-frame house, small and modestly sitting in the midst of all that glory

We walked up to the house. On the patio, we saw a poster. "Answers to the Questions I Know You Are Asking" was the headline.

The first answer was a simple one. "50,000 bulbs," it read. The second answer was, "One at a time, by one woman. Two hands, two feet, and one brain." The third answer was, "Began in 1958."

For me, that moment was a life-changing experience. I thought of this woman whom I had never met, who, more than forty years before, had begun, one bulb at a time, to bring her vision of beauty and joy to an obscure mountaintop. Planting one bulb at a time, year after year, this unknown woman had forever changed the world in which she lived. One day at a time, she had created something of extraordinary magnificence, beauty, and inspiration.

The principle her daffodil garden taught is one of the greatest principles of celebration. That is, learning to move toward our goals and desires one step at a time--often just one baby-step at time--and learning to love the doing, learning to use the accumulation of time.

When we multiply tiny pieces of time with small increments of daily effort, we too will find we can accomplish magnificent things. We can change the world.

"It makes me sad in a way," I admitted to Carolyn "What might I have accomplished if I had thought of a wonderful goal thirty-five or forty years ago and had worked away at it 'one bulb at a time' through all those years? Just think what I might have been able to achieve!"

My daughter summed up the message of the day in her usual direct way.

"Start today," she said. She was right. It's so pointless to think of the lost hours of yesterdays. The way to make learning a lesson of celebration instead of a cause for regret is to only ask, "How can I put this to use today?"

Use the Daffodil Principle. Stop waiting; Until your car or home is paid off; Until you get a new car or home; Until your kids leave the house; Until you go back to school; Until you finish school; Until you clean the house; Until you organize the garage; Until you clean off your desk; Until you lose 10 lbs.; Until you gain 10 lbs.; Until you get married; Until you get a divorce; Until you have kids; Until the kids go to school; Until you retire; Until summer; Until spring; Until winter; Until fall; Until you die...

There is no better time than right now to be happy. Happiness is a journey, not a destination. So work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt, and, Dance like no one's watching.

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

#149701 August 9th, 2006 at 07:15 AM
kissies

#149702 August 9th, 2006 at 07:40 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i thought this was the story... thank you for sharing, i love it! kissies and it is a timely reminder.

#149703 August 9th, 2006 at 09:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've read this several times before and each time it makes me feel good! thumbup

#149704 August 9th, 2006 at 09:39 AM
This is beautiful and I love it! kissies

I would plant some more daffodils, but I'm running out of room! laugh laugh laugh

#149705 August 9th, 2006 at 10:03 AM
WOW! I have never seen this before and it gave me chills. What a wonderful story and a good reminder to take a step back and do it different!

#149706 August 9th, 2006 at 11:40 AM
thumbup Thanks for the wake up call...indeed!

#149707 August 9th, 2006 at 01:19 PM
Thanks for sharing Comfrey... Beauty starts in the heart and blooms and reseeds when given unselfishly.

#149708 August 10th, 2006 at 07:10 AM
Have seen this before a few times, but never tire of it. Thanks for sharing.
[Linked Image] flw flw flw Sue

#149709 August 10th, 2006 at 12:14 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
As I approch (this month)...the 6th anniversary of my son'd death ters ...this story has such a truth to it....I wish, I wish, I wish.....Yes, it is a reminder for us all to take the time.....with those we love!

~V~

#149710 August 10th, 2006 at 12:47 PM
Comfrey ~ I, too, have read this before, but it is always a wonderful and timely reminder to us all! Thanks for posting it! kissies

Vanessa ~ kissies

#149711 August 10th, 2006 at 02:57 PM
ters ters ters

Thank you for the reminder, Comfrey!

One bulb at a time...

Dianna

#149712 August 10th, 2006 at 03:14 PM
comfrey Offline OP
OP Offline
I had read this a long time ago also, but when someone sent this to me...It like turned a light on and had so much meaning to it. It appears that everyone will find a different meaning which will help them in their life in such different ways. I'm glad I posted it.

Link Copied to Clipboard