This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#147329 January 14th, 2006 at 02:55 AM
B
Bill Offline OP
The Garden Helper
OP Offline
The Garden Helper
B
Does anyone here collect old (78 RPM) records? I do!
I went junk shopping yesterday and bought a bunch more.

I thought I bought a perfect 4 record Tommy Dorsey set, but upon closer exam the 3rd record had been substited with another. mad

I also thought I got a perfect 4 record Glenn Miller set... Little Brown Jug has a chunk missing! mad mad mad

It was my own fault for not being more careful when I looked at them, but now I will have to search for the missing links, which means I will be buying even more... frown

I did find a flat back copy of Enrico Caruso's "A Dream" tho! (1920) clp

#147330 January 14th, 2006 at 03:00 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Yes Bill I have a bunch some as big as a 33 1/3 some real thick cut on one side. Think I still have Der Tannenbuam in German on one of these thick acetate's. Would have to check and see what I have now. You did get some of my fAV'S there. thumbup
Jimmy

#147331 January 14th, 2006 at 03:18 AM
Oh my mom collected those. My brother got them when she passed away. She had thousands. I remember Tex Ritter singing "Blood" and a whole bunch of 'big band' stuff. My mom inherited 'her' grandmother's as well so she had some really old ones. A bout five that were 'tube' shaped and we never heard for lack of a player.
~Tina

#147332 January 14th, 2006 at 03:24 AM
B
Bill Offline OP
The Garden Helper
OP Offline
The Garden Helper
B
I almost addressed the topic to you Jimmy, because I was sure that you had to have some!
I just listened to a Buddy Rich drum solo in concert with Dorsey! clp
Are your oversized records the old WW II USO records? I have an album of them....

After Dad died, Mom told my sisters and I to come down and get some of their 78s (there were hundreds)
We didn't want to be greedy, so we each took a few "special" memories. Mom thought that meant we weren't really interested in them, so she gave over 300 away to a friend.... eek

I have several of Al Jolson's... If I had to pick a favorite, it would be a tough call between him and the Mills Brothers.... or The Sons of the Pioneers.... or Louis Armstrong or?

They sure made good music back in those days! clp

#147333 January 14th, 2006 at 03:32 AM
My mom used to have a ton of them. She gave them all away after I left home and I was crushed. I would LOVE to have all of those oldies now. And she had Elvis too. I still to this day cannot believe she got rid of all that.

#147334 January 14th, 2006 at 03:59 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
I just hate it when I read something like this...when I get to my packed boxes I will have to post a pic of my dad's house...he was a collector...of everything...

Bill..he had almost all the FULL sets of anybody and everybody....his album collection was about 2000 strong...he had the old victrolia (SP) players..you name it..he had it. Unfortunately that isn't my "thing" so I didn't want to lug around packed boxes of the stuff...so we had collectors from 4 states come in and fight over them...I would have just gladly ..given them to you to get them out of my hair. We didn;t know what to ask for stuff...had no idea how to price the antiques and were limited on time to research things.
A dealer came in to help me and as a gift I was going to give her an antique vase that I knew would go with her collection..She wouldn't except it stating that is was too expensive..I was thinking it MIGHT be worth $75 bucks....it was appraised at $800.... shk I sure wish I had that stuff now!!!!
Do you collect all kinds of antiques...or just the album things..?

~V~

#147335 January 14th, 2006 at 04:02 AM
AV Queen
AV Queen
My mom had or has a ton of them...I used to get to play them sometimes. Good memories. grinnnn

#147336 January 14th, 2006 at 04:02 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
I have that also somewhere ether here or at Fort Sumner I have a KRUPA drum solo I can't remember if it was with Harry James or Glenn Miller. Had a friend give me some Sinatra's on 33 1/3. Two years ago I got a Billie Holiday, Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman recordings on cd at Best Buy for $5.00 I have about played them to death them on CD's so I would have them. I have a Victrola at home need it so I can record my old acetates and get them on CD and preserve some of those old songs and musicians so they wont be lost .Listenign to Mother Mabel sing wildwood flower now on CD.
Jimmy

#147337 January 14th, 2006 at 07:35 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Are these 78's? Duh
[Linked Image]
It doesn't have a speed written on it. I can't get to the other ones in the other side of the victrola...too many boxes to move to get the door open.

Check out this cool speaker!
[Linked Image]

#147338 January 14th, 2006 at 08:04 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Yes Cindy that is a 78. They didn't put speeds on them then. why should they there was only one speed back the. Love that Victrola Speaker is beautiful. Is that a 1918 or is it older?
Tina what you ahd was a Gramaphone tube too bad you didn't have a Gramaphone to play it on. Do you or your family still have it? Vanessa I have some lamps of Billie's that were made in Russia USSR in the 1800's don't remember the date. Gave my sister my old Waffle Iron made for a Wood Range you had to turn it over to cook both sides. Have a few other things but they will go to a musuem one item is a Damascus Double Barrel made in Damascus Belgium imported by standard Iron and Machine works in 1830? Best I remember it is locked up in a steel fire proof safe.
Jimmy

#147339 January 14th, 2006 at 08:06 AM
Yup, Cindy. I believe those are 78's you're teasin' Bill with.
~Tina

#147340 January 14th, 2006 at 08:46 AM
B
Bill Offline OP
The Garden Helper
OP Offline
The Garden Helper
B
Don't tease me like that, Cindy!!!

When I was getting my ears lowered today, the patron before me told me that she has "boxes" of old 78s I could possibly buy.... perpl

Guess I will be building a new cabinet for them....

#147341 January 14th, 2006 at 08:53 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
I found a lot of mine in top of an old second hand shop in Las Vegas N.M in the 60's think I may have paid the exorbant sum of 5 cents each might have been 10 cents too long ago to remember. I will be right there Bill your making me drool now. laugh
Jimmy

#147342 January 14th, 2006 at 09:50 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Love that Victrola Speaker is beautiful. Is that a 1918 or is it older?
I have no idea...I've had it for as long as I can remember...and a huge stack of records...a bunch of Al Jolson ("Mammy"...I love that one!)

So, Bill...do you play your records on a Victrola, or a regular record player? Duh
I have to crank this thing up to play them... laugh

#147343 January 14th, 2006 at 10:17 AM
B
Bill Offline OP
The Garden Helper
OP Offline
The Garden Helper
B
Originally posted by afgreyparrot:
Love that Victrola Speaker is beautiful. Is that a 1918 or is it older?
I have no idea...I've had it for as long as I can remember...and a huge stack of records...a bunch of Al Jolson ("Mammy"...I love that one!)

So, Bill...do you play your records on a Victrola, or a regular record player? Duh
I have to crank this thing up to play them... laugh
I play them on my 1953 Magnavox Imperial Micromatic Stereophonic High Fidelity Console (thats the real name of it, believe it or not! perpl )

#147344 January 14th, 2006 at 10:19 AM
B
Bill Offline OP
The Garden Helper
OP Offline
The Garden Helper
B

#147345 January 14th, 2006 at 10:28 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Ahhh...I love that song.
My dad used to sing that when I was a kid.
It will always remind me of my dad.

1953 Magnavox Imperial Micromatic Stereophonic High Fidelity Console
Too cool! thumbup
That thing is older than ME! laugh

I don't like to play these records on the Victrola...the needle looks like some kind of nail! shk It is HUGE!

#147346 January 14th, 2006 at 10:37 AM
B
Bill Offline OP
The Garden Helper
OP Offline
The Garden Helper
B
The old Victrola "nails" had a tendency to gouge out the grooves.... Sadly they ruined a lot of good records. When I started to digitalize my records on the puter a friend insisted that I use filters to get rid of the scratchy sounds, but I personally consider that noise to be the "patina" that belongs with the record.... If you hear that "noise" on my records, it is because I want it there! lala

#147347 January 14th, 2006 at 10:49 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I personally consider that noise to be the "patina" that belongs with the record....
...and I love the sound before the song starts...
...when the needle hits the record...then there's a few seconds of scratching before you hear the song. thumbup

I remember my mom and dad would crank up the Victrola sometimes and dance to the records...even though we had a good stereo and new albums. nutz
Didn't understand it then...but I do now. wink

#147348 January 14th, 2006 at 11:52 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
So...what are the "tube" albums called ? My dad had a ton of them and a player... Duh

~V~

#147349 January 14th, 2006 at 12:50 PM
Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
Actually, there's a whole cabinet full of those sitting next to me. It is full of 70's, 80's and early 90's classic rock and metal thumbup

#147350 January 14th, 2006 at 01:05 PM
B
Bill Offline OP
The Garden Helper
OP Offline
The Garden Helper
B
Originally posted by 4Ruddy:
So...what are the "tube" albums called ? My dad had a ton of them and a player... Duh

~V~
All that I know them by is "Cylinders" Duh

#147351 January 15th, 2006 at 12:23 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
All that I know them by is "Cylinders"
That may be it...I thought dad called them "something" else...but he had the player and they were REALLY neat. I hardly ever see any of those floating around anymore....but then again I am not an antique~ie collector of any kind.

~V~

#147352 January 15th, 2006 at 12:36 AM
I have a bunch of old 78's of my dad singing (he was told he sounded like Caruso) and nothing to play them on. My family did that same get rid of it all thing so most of it is gone and he is too old and feeble anymore to capture his voice on tape.

Beautiful speaker Cindy.

#147353 January 15th, 2006 at 08:30 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Those Cylinders palyed on a Gramaphone which was the for runner to the Victrola except the cylinder was placed over the round horizontal thing (not sure what it was called) when it runed a little anvil type thing like on a music box activated it to play the recording. Bill I will Pm you a link on Gramaphones.
Jimmy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard