This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#147354 January 15th, 2006 at 12:49 PM
I have some 78s, but they're packed away in the garage somewhere, along with the fifty 33 1/3 "singles" that I won from KJR radio's weekly "Fabulous 50" contest, in I think 1962! I still have most of those. ("Quarter to Three" was #1 that week!)

The only 78 out in the garage that I can remember the title to, is the Tweety Bird Song... "Tweety's my name and I don't know my age, dum dum dum dum, in a bright guilded cage. I got a trapeze & dum dum dum dum"... (guess I've forgotten some of the dum dum words!!) shocked He says "I tot I taw a puddy tat" in there, too!

Oh, & I have Jimmy Boyd singing "I saw Mama Kissing Santa Claus" on a 78RPM.

A couple years ago, I went to a store in search of a phonograph needle, & asked 1 of the (young) clerks where I could find one, & she said "phono... what?" I explained to her that it's a needle that you play records with & she looked at me like I was from Mars, & said "Well, the needles are in Notions,,,, aisle 14B." !! laugh laugh Poor kids these days, don't know what good music is, either! frown

Bill, I SOOO envy you that Big Band era collection! Honestly, I can "smell" those records, just sitting here thinking about those days! thumbup
Wow! (That's the up-dated term for "groovy" & "Cherry", you know!)

#147355 January 15th, 2006 at 04:10 PM
Sorry... [Linked Image] but just a little...

Bill, do you remember a song by PG&E (Pacific Gas & Electric), called "Are You Ready"? I've looked all over for it... for many years, & it seems to have vanished! (It probably went to that "zone"... the warehouse somewhere in Yakima, along with the mates to several million sox, all of which were part of a PAIR when they went into the dryer!)

I've asked DJ's of "60's/70's Hits" stations, & while they DO remember it, they can't seem to locate it either! (I don't remember where it got to on the charts, but it was big right around 1969.)

#147356 January 16th, 2006 at 10:35 AM
was that "are you ready? yes I'm ready. To fall in Love...with you.."

#147357 January 16th, 2006 at 11:33 AM
Bev, I don't think so, but I can't say that I even remember the words now, cuz I get it mixed up with the other song by the same title, which came out several years later. All I can remember is that at the very beginning, a guy hollers "ARE... YOU... READY?
(I think!) laugh laugh I do know that there were no girl singers with PG&E, though.

If I heard it again, I know that I WOULD remember all the words, immediately! I'm a lyrics freak, & know the worlds to all the songs of that era (& most of the 40's). ...well, the songs that I KNOW, anyway! Duh laugh laugh I mean I CAN'T know ALL the songs of that era, cuz there are probably a million that came out that weren't "rock & Roll songs", & THOSE are the one's I'm talking about!!!)

I'll quit before I confuse myself ... again! laugh laugh

#147358 January 17th, 2006 at 11:04 AM
hmmm... that's not the one I was thinking of because it had a girl singer.

#147359 January 19th, 2006 at 03:22 AM
Now maybe we can get back to the REAL topic here: 78 RPM Records!

...because Papito PM'd me with a link to ARE YOU READY? - by Pacific Gas & Electric . It'd be nice if they offered a sound clip of it on that site, but the words are all there! thumbup Thanks bunches, Papito!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard