This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#144695 September 15th, 2006 at 10:41 PM
chenno Offline OP
OP Offline
In my area an almost tragic copycat columbine situation could have occurred. But a teen from East Green Bay High school reported what he knew.

here is a little clip from our paper-Authorities found 20 improvised explosive devices at the home of one of the students they say had plans to bomb Green Bay East High School.

The teens are both in custody,both are 17. They have been said to be depressed and felt they did not fit in etc..They have been researching making bombs and they took 9 rifles and some hand guns like 9 jars of liquid jelled gas, and boxes of bomb making devices. as well as letters outlining how they would attack and kill people at the school and then wanted the police to shoot them.
They also had cameo clothing,gas masks mannequin heads they were using to practice there aim with guns...

I have to ask what the heck is wrong with either one of these parents! how can you not know you have all these weapons and things in your home!!!!!I am so angry!! we cannot know everything are kids do, nor can we help some of the choices they make.
But In this case my god!! I feel they should be charged too!How hard is it to be aware of your childs actions, surroundings and moods!it makes me sick!

sorry needed to vent!

#144696 September 15th, 2006 at 10:44 PM
thumbup thumbup

#144697 September 15th, 2006 at 10:54 PM
Oh man, that is just too scary Angie. I have to agree with you, the parents should have known and should be held accountable. It is crazy that no one knew what was going on with all that stuff around.

I am so glad that one brave soul came forward to save so many people.

#144698 September 15th, 2006 at 10:55 PM
We just had a lone shooter go into a junior college in Montreal and start shooting because he was depressed and was tired of the way the "jocks" treated him, its all so senseless!!!

#144699 September 15th, 2006 at 11:09 PM
chenno Offline OP
OP Offline
You know,your both right!Thank god the teen told the school and then contacted police, or there would have been sensless deaths!

It is so sad, it is very hard for teens,and some can be cruel, but the key word is teen, parents need to be aware and participate they are just kids.I just cannot understand the sadness in these kids:-( breaks my heart!

#144700 September 15th, 2006 at 11:15 PM
Reading this makes me feel so sad.

Dianna

#144701 September 16th, 2006 at 12:57 AM
sure scares me, I work at a highschool sca

#144702 September 16th, 2006 at 01:19 AM
HOLY COW!! Not I have to agree I would look into the Parents as well!
It is just Scary to know they are sooo un supervised that they could nearly get away with hurting sooo many people!!

#144703 September 16th, 2006 at 02:41 AM
Angie,
I read about your almost Columbine in our paper this morning- made me so sad and ill- I live about 3 miles from Columbine and I remember that day much to well- my niece was in high school(not Cloumbine) at the time and our Joseph was in preschool that day.... we watched it unfold - waited for friends to call and say their kids were safe- prayed for all- went and gave blood for the survivors- was all to real and horrible - Thank God for the student who was brave enough to turn them in where you are... countless lives were saved- and yes the parents should be charged too- and the boys as well... we never could figure out why the parents of the 2 boys here were never charged ... they knew what the boys were up too - at least part of it and the stuff was stored in their homes...
okay off my rant too- prayers for you community and hopes they make some changes to make it harder for this kind of thing to happen....
Nana

#144704 September 17th, 2006 at 02:42 AM
chenno Offline OP
OP Offline
A little update, The Mayor is trying to work with the D.A. as there is no way the 1 group of parents could not know all those weapons and bomb stuff was in the home. I will keep you posted.

#144705 September 17th, 2006 at 10:32 PM
Seems some parents don't put time into their Children , ask questions, scan their room, observe their emotions, if their loners, scan their computers,,, especially if they are being bullied at school from grade school on up,
The schools here were moving the picked on kids to different schools as IF they were in the wrong,, thus reconfirming their own value as useless,, SOOOO many parents were infuriated by this the school board finally changed it and started sending the bullies to 'alternative school',, the majority of this bomb making, gun toting kids HAVE been picked on since early school age and are just fed up and had noone to help them along the way, The parents Should have know this had they been reallly connected to their children and had been looking out for their well being,, emotionally, psycologically. I agree the Parents should be charged as well For Neglect, and contributing to the situation by not being connected and being unaware of what they had in their own home.

#144706 September 17th, 2006 at 10:47 PM
You know Diane, I just cannot imagine a house like that and how it happens. It is not difficult to tell when child is sad, when they have had a bad day at school and when they need some attention. I know that mine broadcast their feelings right out there for the world to see even without knowing it and a parent just has to be oblivious not to see that in their kids.

#144707 September 17th, 2006 at 11:07 PM
I know Triss!! I can't imagine it either,, I always encourage my kids to talk even if I didn't like the subject thumbup

#144708 September 17th, 2006 at 11:14 PM
Same here with mine. They each get mom time even if it is just a trip to the grocery store. We make sure and connect with their friends and their friends parents. And same with their teachers, I pop over to the school and know who their teachers are and they know me. They know I am here if there is an issue at school and know I am not afraid to talk to them or come in if there is a problem.

#144709 September 17th, 2006 at 11:24 PM
that's the way it should be! Back in the day (my day) wink Parents were verrry invloved in school, teacher interaction , we had teachers over for dinners, a lot of interaction going on, Room mothers ( that volunteered to help teachers out) guidance counselors at schools, now here the guidance counselors are only for acedemics and not for the emotional needs of the student seems the school boards let that need fall by the way side,, Said it cost the schools too much $$ to have social workers in schools, and has left that up to the parents,, but there are a lot of kids that would talk to a social worker as oppossed to their parents( for fear their parents wouldn't listen to them) This elimination of an avenue to open up to someone has to be hard on some kids that have parents that both work 10-12 hrs a day and the kids are practically raising themselves ters It's just sad how the schools have changed soo much, as well as parenting in the last 25 years

#144710 September 18th, 2006 at 12:33 AM
It sure has changed. And it is the kids who suffer. It is no wonder that they grow to adults who are not self confident and feel like violence is the only way to solve their problems.

#144711 September 18th, 2006 at 12:42 AM
I may be a "prude", but I will not allow Summer to watch PG movies or play video games at all(unless I aprove them). I know that most people do allow it, but there is so much violence in some of them(especially the games) that I think it "desensitizes" them to torture and death. They start to think that it is OK to hit people, because it is only a game. This may not be true, but it makes perfect sense to me. I grew up in an era where everyone had a Nintendo and my mom refused to allow me to have one. I think she was right. Too many parents let the TV or video games babysit their kids and don't monitor their "play"time closely enough. Doug and I agree that "parent" is a VERB!! It is an action word. Too many people forget this....

Sorry for the long post, but too many people are not "parenting" their kids and then wonder why their kid is in police custody for one crime or another...it makes me SICK!

#144712 September 18th, 2006 at 04:31 AM
Well said Tonya!

#144713 September 18th, 2006 at 06:53 AM
chenno Offline OP
OP Offline
You know what is really Sick!!!!!!
Video games like columbine massacre,where people act out shooting! sick~ How can this be? When they glamorize it, kids that are alone and w/out supervision----play this junk! SO SAD!!!!Again, where are the parents Duh mad mad

#144714 September 18th, 2006 at 06:56 PM
In the news last night: Parents were arrested for kidnapping their own daughter. From North Yarmouth, Maine, the parents tied and duct taped their 19 y/o daughter , dragged her into the family car and were driving her down to NY when she escaped at a rest area. She is a 19 y/o college student in Boston and just told her parents she got pregnant. They were forcing her to get an abortion in NY! Duh nutz :p mad mad mad

#144715 September 18th, 2006 at 09:07 PM
frown Some people should not be parents! mad mad mad

#144716 September 18th, 2006 at 09:26 PM
Its really sad...you need a liscence to drive, to fish, to hunt, to shop in some stores but anyone can have a child, notice i "didnt" say be a parent!!!!!!Why should having a child be any different!!! mad

#144717 September 19th, 2006 at 02:32 AM
I feel fortunate I speak with my kids teachers every day. I know I drive my sons teacher crazy, they have a spelling test and math test every Friday, I go to his class room to see his work, because she does not send it home. How am I going to know that there could be a problem with his work if I do not see it. If it only comes home once a month to be signed that gives him a whole month to fall behind. Not my kid - no way. Its ashamed that parents aren't more involved with school. I find it to be an honor, not a chore. The amount of time we have to hold them so dear and close is a drop in the bucket when you think about it.

I just cannot imagine how the boys could have all that stuff in a home and a parent would not know. Don't they go in to their rooms, I know my parents did. I am glad I had no privacy the lack of it kept me out of alot of trouble. I swear to give my kids the same lack of it my grandmother did me. laugh First thing I do after school is to check out the backpacks then the lunch boxed, I make both of mine bring home what they don't eat that way I know what is getting in their stomaches, as well as their minds. I know I drive them perpl but that is ok, its my job.

#144718 September 19th, 2006 at 02:36 AM
If we don't look out for our kids Karrie...then who will, I am with you, its not a chore, its a privilege!!!

#144719 September 19th, 2006 at 02:37 AM
I'm with you Karrie and others! I always tell my kids, it's my job to snoop through your things and yes, I will look in your room whenever I want to . Keeps them on thier toes!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard