This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#143438 June 13th, 2005 at 03:27 AM
OP Offline
Any cross stitchers out there? I'd love more time to cross stitch, but with work it's been a chore smirk I need to start something soon to relax me ;D I'd like to hear about your projects!

#143439 June 16th, 2005 at 11:48 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I don't do much cross stitch although I do love embrodery. The counted cross stitch is beyond me because I always lose count lol. I probably do more quilted satin stitch than anything else. French knots also give me kittens (I'm left handed) lol. I love the closed feather stitch too. Lets see the last one I did was a brown and gold pegasus 12"x12" with a sunset background. Very very rich looking. The sunset didn't come out as well as I wanted it too but then I'm not that great of an artist. I design my own patterns I guess because it's more of a challenge and when I am done I know it is unique. There will never be another like it anywhere. I'm reminded of the wolf patterns that were so popular a few years back. Everywhere I went there one was. Fortunately for me I was busy with dragons (european style) and pegasus's at that time. Now I've got my eye on doing that work working where you cut out the wood to make a silouette. I like the ones of trees on the horizon, and the chinese 5 footed dragons, and the sailing ships aren't bad either. So have you decided what pattern your going to do next?

#143440 June 17th, 2005 at 12:00 AM
I love to cross-stitch. Unfortunately, I don't do it anymore because my eyes are getting bad.

Dianna

#143441 June 17th, 2005 at 12:17 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I do lots of cross stitching.....actually I'll take a pic of the ones I just finished and post them in here later on.....

I find it relaxing to do while I'm watching TV....I'm either x-stitching or crocheting usually..... smile

#143442 June 17th, 2005 at 08:09 AM
M
M
I've been cross stitching for years. It's very relaxing yet frustrating at the same time. I've recently had to purchase a magnifying light so I can read the patterns, but poor eyesight won't stop me.

I just finished a detailed rose pattern after putting it down 6 months ago. I only work on my stitching in hotter weather. When it cools down I crochet. My hobbies are the only way I can sit still.

#143443 June 19th, 2005 at 10:13 AM
OP Offline
I probably do more quilted satin stitch than anything else. French knots also give me kittens (I'm left handed) lol. I love the closed feather stitch too. Lets see the last one I did was a brown and gold pegasus 12"x12" with a sunset background. Very very rich looking.>>>

Those sound very lovely! Do you have pictures that you can share on a website? I need to start back up cross stitching. I've been working too much anymore to be able to sit and stitch. Gotta make a trip to the craft store very soon~~

#143444 June 19th, 2005 at 10:14 AM
OP Offline
I love to cross-stitch. Unfortunately, I don't do it anymore because my eyes are getting bad.
>>>

Dianna, you could always enlarge the charts and get some aida cloth with larger squares! smile

#143445 June 19th, 2005 at 10:16 AM
OP Offline
I do lots of cross stitching.....actually I'll take a pic of the ones I just finished and post them in here later on.....
>>
Please do post them. I love looking at other people's work! Now I'm inspired to start stitching again soon.

#143446 June 19th, 2005 at 10:19 AM
OP Offline
I just finished a detailed rose pattern after putting it down 6 months ago. I only work on my stitching in hotter weather. When it cools down I crochet. My hobbies are the only way I can sit still. >>>

What are you crocheting? I can only do straight things like blankets LOL I imagine your rose is beautiful! laugh

#143447 June 19th, 2005 at 10:29 AM
Hi ~

I do it all -- crewel, cross, counted cross, needlepoint, latch hook, knitting, crocheting, sewing. It's just how we were taught as children.

But my specialty is vintage crochet. I particulary enjoy recreating vintage patterns and putting the directions into modern language or writing them down for the first time, ever.

For this delicate work I use very fine thread, similar to what you might see as edging on a hankie.

Also, I do make plenty of outerwear and things such as sweaters and vests when I'm tired of the small work and want to do something with yarn.

My sister does petit point and minature counted cross....I think it is 24 x's per inch. She uses a magnifying lens with a light attached that hangs from her neck. It is angled so she can look right through it to the work in her hands. When you start doing 1/2 and 1/4 x's on a 28 square per inch fabric, you need illumination and magnification!

Yipes.

Merme

#143448 June 19th, 2005 at 04:53 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Merme,

You forgot tatting lol. And ribbon making I've forgotten what that is called. I watched a woman do it at wolf trap one day when they had an irish festival. If I had been alone I would have stayed all day but I was with friends and it was raining so we left.

About the crochet; anyone do the reversable patterns.

Believe it or not I'm not a picture person or at least I wasn't. Now I sincerely wish I had pictures of everything I have done at one time or another. But I don't have even one picture.

So many people have went back to crafting that it is now cheaper to buy readymades so that's what I do.

When the price of craft stuff goes down I'll probably start again. And I'll probably need the magnifing glass and light to do it too.

Karen, to create shapes just use your 2 & 3 together stitches to decrease and your increases are like when you make a shell. Doing several stitches from one spot. It is not difficult. Reading some of the patterns is hard. But the work really isn't. Gage of course is very important.

#143449 June 20th, 2005 at 01:28 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here are my latest 2 cross stitches.....of course I'm a bird lover so I had to get these 2--I thought they were so cute.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#143450 June 20th, 2005 at 03:07 AM
Oh loz, these are wonderful!

What size are they? Where have you hung them?

Merme

#143451 June 20th, 2005 at 05:49 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I didn't even think to say how big they were....let's see--the frames are 8 by 10 and the actual stitches are about 5 by 7 I believe.

Took me about a week to do each one because of all the backstitching around the leaves and birds and such......that's the tedious part of it I think.....I have them hanging in the living room right now right across from the loveseat.....Glad you like them Merme....just thought I'd share....I've done so many x-stitches over the years....Sometimes my wrist aches so bad from it, but I still love to do it....I also just finished a lighthouse one for my mom that I'll post in here soon......

#143452 June 20th, 2005 at 09:23 AM
Oh loz, which lighthouse did you do? I can't wait to see it!

When we first moved to Maine, just like so many others before me, I fell in-love with Portland Headlight, the light commissioned by George Washington in the 1780's. It is local to where we live and rather a beautiful sight. So I started collecting images of it, including a jig saw puzzle I glued together.

Then I found an exquisitely designed counted cross stitch kit and bought it. However, it was well beyond my powers as a cross-stitcher. I did the lighthouse and some of the sky and buildings but then I couldn't complete the thing. To many color changes, too many 1/2 and 1/4 stitches on all the cliff face. So my talented sister took it back to OH with her and completed it for me. It is really something to behold.

Oh do show your lighthouse when you have a chance!

These birds are really nice and I'm surprised each one only took you a week, being as large as they are. Glad you put them in a place where they will be often seen and enjoyed!

Merme

#143453 June 20th, 2005 at 02:35 PM
I LOVE to cross stitch. I have a couple that I'm working on now...I only work on them when I'm in the mood to do them though. one that I got for christmas that I absolutely love is of whiteish grey looking horses running out of waves in an ocean...it is absolutely beautiful! it has TONS and TONS of blue in it. I also have one of a wolf inside of a dreamcatcher looking thing that's really pretty. I like to do the little small one's that are like 3 or 4 inches big. I also LOVE to do plastic canvas. I'm REALLY good at doing that. I also love to do latch hook.

#143454 June 20th, 2005 at 09:04 PM
Oh Miss Jamie, I didn't know you do plastic canvas too! Isn't it a great medium?

When Maxi was a baby, I made him an entire Christmas village out of plastic canvas and white yarn. The buildings are 3 to 4 inches high, with the school house bell tower the tallest at about 5 inches. There is a mansion, tiny cottages, a church, the school, a gazebo and some trees all made that way.

At Christmas I set it up on a board with a mirror laid flat in the middle and some of the buildings set up higher on upsidedown bowls. Then everything gets a cotton ball pulled apart snow cover.

At the time I made it, I figured it was great for a kid because it is completely washable but very attractive!

What do you do with your plastic canvas?

Merme

#143455 June 24th, 2005 at 06:53 PM
C
C
I have been working on baby stuff. My younger daughter is pregnant and so far I have made 2 of the big quilts that are stamped and I have made several bibs. Yesterday we went to Oklahoma City to take hubby's teeth to the dentist (he is having horrible problems with his dentures) and we bought some material and I have more blankets to go. We bought some cute fleece and I have to crocet an edge around that, also some material and lace, I just sew this together with the lace in the middle. My other daughter loved those blankets. The baby is due in November so we have a ways to go yet.

#143456 June 25th, 2005 at 10:37 AM
yeap merme I LOVE to do plastic canvas! wow that christmas village sounds BEAUTIFUL! I make lots of stuff with plastic canvas. I make tissue boxes,jewelry boxes,pencil and pen containers,coasters,and all kinds of other things. I have a TON of patterns that I've gotten off the internet if you would like me to email them to you I can (if I can figure out how to email them lol!). all you'd have to do is just PM me your email address....the patterns are looney tunes mostly. their are magnets,picture frames,tissue boxes,and lot's of other neat things! if anyone else would like to have them just pm me your email address and I'll happily try to email them to you :-)

#143457 June 25th, 2005 at 09:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I took some more x-stitch pictures of projects I finished, but now I'm on a new computer and I can't find the disk to load the software for my digital camera......LOL Not good huh? I'll be searching for it today....

I tried plastic canvas a few times but I always had a problem getting the needle to go through...it always fell back out, I guess because plastic is slick...

#143458 June 25th, 2005 at 11:27 PM
loz, this might sound a bit stupid, but I found it worked when I was teaching Maxi how to do plastic canvas work. If you put a bit of masking tape around the needle, just once or twice so as not to make it too thick, it will give it enough "grip" so it doesn't slide out so easily.

And I'm looking forward to you posting more photos when you get the software installed!

Connie, do you have any way to post photos of your work on the baby things?

Merme

#143459 June 26th, 2005 at 12:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Merme, that doesn't sound stupid at all--it sounds like a great idea, I would've never thought of doing that!

This is in a 5 by 7 frame--I made it for mothers day for mom.
[Linked Image]

This one is in a 8 by 10 frame--I made this for mom for her birthday. She has a whole nautical/lighthouse theme in her foyer.
[Linked Image]

I made mom this one for their anniversary of course....It's in a 8 by 10 frame also.
[Linked Image]

I've made so many x-stitches as gifts for people that they are probably getting sick of getting them from me.....LOL

#143460 June 26th, 2005 at 02:08 AM
NO ONE would ever get sick of receiving such beautiful handwork from you, loz. Also, I think you are quite skillful at framing.

Thanks so for sharing with us.

Merme

#143461 June 26th, 2005 at 03:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No problem, I like sharing pics with everyone.....

Framing can be tricky sometimes.....

I'm just the sort of person that is always crafting away at something......I like to keep busy.

#143462 June 26th, 2005 at 08:13 AM
wow those are EXCELLENT!! if I can EVER finish the 2 HUGE x stitch projects I'm doing I'll take a pic of them and post them here...they are gonna take a LONG time though lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard