This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#141172 March 20th, 2006 at 04:44 AM
OP Offline
Lord knows we needed the rain and I AM grateful but Geeezzzz...............
The winds and rains in my area has been so strong that rosebush branches are being broken off and now I have a new swimming hole in the back yard and many new planting are way under the water...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

There's a few new planting under all this shk eek
[Linked Image]

But I am thankful the rains are helping in the TX/Okla burnings!!! cool

#141173 March 20th, 2006 at 05:09 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Diane my front and back yards are lakes today. Wind hasn't hurt my roses as yet have one Billie planted when we first moved here budding sure hope it blooms. Has the prettiest red blooms on it. Good luck with your run off. Still coming down hard here in Arlington .
Jimmy

#141174 March 20th, 2006 at 05:35 AM
OP Offline
It hadn't even ran off from yesterday! I still have to go grocery shopping guess I'll just have to get out my flippers and go for it!!I've heard sirens going all day; must be those Drivers that can't drive in the rain.

BTW the problem with my run off is the neighbors behind me yard slopes down in the corner fence area and I get all their run off frown 2 yrs ago they said they were going to level their yard! It's suppose to be in the high 30's the next few nights so I need to find a place in the garage to put the up-side-down tomato plants...Oh also I went to Callaways spring fest' Yep I went in the rain they had a couple of classes in color creations and container planting, and a lawn
care class.. They had a drawing every hour starting at 9:55am there was only 3 of us customers in the store at the time of drawing I WON.. I got 7 begonias, 5 petunia's 3 ivy's and a 20lb bag of container potting mix. YEA!!!!.. That was worth going out in the rain for!!

#141175 March 20th, 2006 at 08:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow, that's a lot of rain!!!! You could almost go swimming in that... shk

It isn't getting into your house is it??? Do you have a basement? Lots of people around here have to use sump pumps in their basments...luckily ours doesn't take on much water....

#141176 March 20th, 2006 at 09:33 AM
OP Offline
Loz.. I wish I had a basement!! I miss them had them in KS but from what I understand Tx soil( at least here in the Dallas area) doesn't hold the basements and will eventually collapse. The front porch had an 1" of water on it so Dwight got out there and used the garage squiggy and 'sweep it off to the side. but it is still came half way up. It stopped raining long enough for me to go to the store but was raining buckets again when I went to the car.Should have worn those flippers laugh laugh the picture above of the back yard ... well the water is closer to the tree now eek and it's still raining! I stood on the patio to take the pic so that tells you not much further and it will come in because the door is level to where I was standing. Wish I had a monster squiggy to push the water back to the neighbor's behind me, then maybe that would inspire them to level their yard out! mad :rolleyes: frown shk

#141177 March 20th, 2006 at 10:19 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow, it's STILL raining!!! sca

#141178 March 20th, 2006 at 11:18 AM
OP Offline
No I don't have a storm celler or shelter they just say to get in a small room in the center of the house(can't do that in my house. If I truely felt threatened by a tornado I would probably take the mattress off the day bed and the mattress trundle under it and sandwich my self in my bdrm closet with a bicycle helmet on my head for protection that's probably the best I could do we have about 20 sand bags in the garage tho if water ever gets to the point of knocking at my door. this is a 2 car garage but only one car fits in it laugh and yes it does make me nervous somewhat because I have hard wood floors and I really like it.

#141179 March 20th, 2006 at 11:54 AM
woah! that's alot of rain!!! ya'll really really needed it though but not that much!! if it ever holds up maybe you could get some of the water and save it to water your plants with later on when they need it? God only knows that they don't need it anytime soon!! laugh laugh

#141180 March 21st, 2006 at 09:25 AM
OP Offline
Hey Jamie I did have buckets out side to catch rain! You can see one of them in the 1st photo, My pitcher plant really prefer rain water I have been using distilled water so this week it gets a treat!! thumbupLOL

#141181 March 21st, 2006 at 09:50 PM
I know how you feel, now after all this rain we have gotten, and lord knows we needed it, but now we are suppose to drop to 28 tonight. I'll have to dig up covers to cover what I can.

#141182 March 22nd, 2006 at 01:32 AM
I have buckets that get filled occasionally(though mostly have plants roting in them...gardinia,oak leaf hygrandea)I've thought of rain barrels at the further ends of my watering areas that out reach my water hose.I got 5 hydrants& still hook my 100 ft hose on my 60 ft or my 2 50 ft.( have six 50 ft hose.I got 1 60 ft hose& 2 100 ft hose)

we got about 3 inches.I didn't look real close yet I need to clean the inside,but about 3.32-3.37.algee hinders.where my pond was we filled in it refilled for a time till drained down...took about 6 hours to drain.I loved the water effect of my fountain overflowing.I wish hubby could see it.Now I want a round base to circulate the water back up& won't have to fix the leak in the dolphin(chip from cedar durring Rita) most my seedlings were ok.My JMG got beaten by the water,but sure they'll spring back up.I almost lost my homemade plant hanger from PVC pipe& string holding 4 hanging baskets....full of water.The JMG survived.I bet they ain't thirsty.

I got things to cover too.calling for 40,but they can't make their mind up either. 10 MPH breeze that changes...I'll cover.

Most houses in Tx are slab or are on blocks.We plan to eventually build a shelter.We'll be building LOTS of things it seems for a long time. crit **I'd like a 'good-sized'shelter.I'm near the coast too**

Link Copied to Clipboard