This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#137603 October 22nd, 2006 at 11:28 PM
kennyso Offline OP
OP Offline
just wanted to see how everyone feels about this topic. I snatch seeds ocassionally from public mall p[arking lots, most of the time they are daylilies although I must admit, I never take more than a pod or two from a plant. Most of the people usually don't mind me taking seeds from their front yards, they all know I do it and I give them seedlings back each year. Almost everyone I know has no clue that they could grow the seeds from their garden!

#137604 October 23rd, 2006 at 12:06 AM
wink laugh I've done that on occasion at malls fronts never anyone's yard tho with out asking usually a neighbor and your right A lot of people don't know about seed pods just laying there..

#137605 October 23rd, 2006 at 12:54 AM
Yup, count me in as a seed snatcher! I've done it in front of banks, malls, burger kings. I also weed those gardens when I have spare time. I also weed at backyard parties and such. People sometimes are like , no, don't work, enjoy yourself. But , I AM enjoying myself!

#137606 October 23rd, 2006 at 01:09 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
I do the same thing! laugh We have a nurse down the street with the most INCREDIBLE garden and she gives away seeds by the bucketfull. Many of the flower and butterfly pictures I post are from her garden. She also gives us lots of seedlings. I often take seeds from cannas and marigolds in public places if I like their variety.

#137607 October 23rd, 2006 at 01:34 AM
I've been known to take seed heads from public places too. A few stella d'oro lily pods from a strip mall, a few other seed heads from outside a large music store (Don and his friend were teasing me the entire time!), a few other places.

I've also dug up small plants in ditches on the roadside - public property - never someone's yard. I got some yarrow and a tall phlox that way.

I am also tempted to weed while I'm out, but I think I'd get locked up if I tried - it's not the kind of neighborhood where one can do that. Of course I can't stop myself at my friend's house either - like mel!

I do also give away plants - often. One year, I had sooooooooo many baby tomato plants that had reseeded, I gave them to the mailman, and anyone I could pawn them off on! That's what saving those 4 inch plastic nursery pots are good for! thumbup

#137608 October 23rd, 2006 at 01:51 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Yup, count me in as a seed snatcher!
I'm guilty... shocked laugh

When I used to have to pick Brennan up from school everyday we would walk around the school and collect the seeds out of the lily pods.
I always kept zip lock bags in the truck for us! thumbup

And several years ago I embarrassed Andy to death by pulling all the spent blooms off the petunias while waiting over an hour for a table at Red Lobster.
He never did take me out to eat again after that! laugh

#137609 October 23rd, 2006 at 02:17 AM
I'm guilty too! I've even been known to knock on people's doors to ask if I can take seeds off of certain plants.
And I just can't help myself if we are out a friends yard and there are weeds in the garden.
My husband say's I'm a compulsive gardener!

#137610 October 23rd, 2006 at 04:33 AM
kennyso Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by plants 'n pots:
I've been known to take seed heads from public places too.

I've also dug up small plants in ditches on the roadside - public property - never someone's yard. I got some yarrow and a tall phlox that way.
Well, I guess with all the taxes that we pay, it's alright to take a few things by the side of the road, besides, if you don't they're just going to die or get run over!

Originally posted by afgreyparrot:
Yup, count me in as a seed snatcher!
I'm guilty... shocked laugh

When I used to have to pick Brennan up from school everyday we would walk around the school and collect the seeds out of the lily pods.
I always kept zip lock bags in the truck for us!
seeds from lilies...I've seen pods and I've picked some before, but they all seemed flimsy so I assumed the seeds weren't good and just sprinkled them back over the patch. I keep those junk mail envelopes in my jacket pocket, I rip it in two and have enough to pick two types of seeds!

#137611 October 23rd, 2006 at 04:36 AM
I do also give away plants - often. One year, I had sooooooooo many baby tomato plants that had reseeded, I gave them to the mailman, and anyone I could pawn them off on! That's what saving those 4 inch plastic nursery pots are good for!
thumbup laugh

One year I had so many chives I set up a bench at the bottom of the driveway, placed a big sign towards the road "FREE CHIVE plants" and the kids had a ball counting them each day and feeling good about giving away 30 plants. thumbup

#137612 October 23rd, 2006 at 09:24 AM
The only places I have collected seeds/plants from is along dirt roads & old abandon farm houses & cemeteries. When doing it at a cemetery, I always weed the gravesite/headstone. I also give away many plants each year. The only ones who seem's to be embarrassed by this is children, I'm not sure why they are so embarrassed, maybe they feel like we are stealing something???? Which of course we are not, most of what we collect would go to waste anyway.

About collecting along roadways...In some states, I know Missouri is one of them....It is against the law to collect any kind of plant material along roadsides....So be sure you know what the laws are in the area you are in before you start collecting.

#137613 October 23rd, 2006 at 09:37 AM
A
A
When I take a walk with my kids I collect seeds from the town's flower beds or along the road. It's so cute because now they know what to look for and they started bringing me back seeds and such when they go out for bike rides. I always have to remind them not to take from other people's yards!

#137614 October 23rd, 2006 at 09:56 PM
S
S
im a seed snacher too thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard