This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#137186 September 14th, 2006 at 11:00 AM
OP Offline
Howdy Everybody,

I live in Austin Texas.
Just moved here from Dallas, and am finally going to get to garden after several years not being able to.
I already have started a container garden and am planning on going to the nurseries tomorrow and seeing what else I can plant.
Hope everyone is doing well .
huggles n cuddles,
Anita aka cinquefoil flw

#137187 September 14th, 2006 at 12:44 PM
Hi Anita, & welcome to the forum! [Linked Image] (Your name caught my eye because I have a Shrubby Cinquefoil growing in my yard!) thumbup I'm glad you're getting back in to gardening... & I'm full of questions!

You mentioned that you weren't able to garden for several years... did you not have the space to do it in Dallas? (Must feel pretty good to get back into playing in the dirt again, huh?) grinnnn

There are so many friendly people here, all willing to help each other & share their gardening experiences (as well as hobbies, pets, kids, recipies... the list goes on). Many of us are always looking for help with our gardens & are eager for new ideas, so jump right in & join our gardening family! smile

I'm looking forward to getting to know you, & hope to see you again soon... (& often)! [Linked Image]

[Linked Image] By the way, I must tell you... I really love the Avatar you've chosen! laugh
(I found out recently that it's called Bacopa sutera.)

#137188 September 14th, 2006 at 06:48 PM
Hi there,

Welcome to the Forum

#137189 September 14th, 2006 at 08:23 PM
wavey Hello Anita aka cinquefoil! Welcome to the forum. The container gardening thread has many great ideas for you. I also have been container gardening for the past few years. I currently have bell peppers, banana peppers, and sweet 100 cherry tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets. YUMMY! I tried to grow Big Boy tomatoes in the 5 gal. bucket but they didn't do very well, so I had to move them to the flower bed where they did well. I use Fertilome potting soil in the buckets & use a Miracle Grow root stimulator. Hope it helps you some. See ya' on the forum!(By the way, my mom lives in Beecaves, a suburb of Austin! thumbup )

#137190 September 14th, 2006 at 08:49 PM
OP Offline
Hello and thank you everyone,

To answer questions,
1. I could not garden and did not have the inclination (to clarify) because I lived in an apartment and was way too busy w work to keep an eye on a garden. In Dallas I worked two jobs.
2. my name cinquefoil was given to me by a friend and it means 5 petal flower. Also means most beloved daughter. Thought that was kewl.
3. I have never really done container gardening and have done a fair bit of reasearch on it. I have already learned from some mistakes (oh surprise!) I read a lot from HGTV the garden guy Paul James as I love his style . Its no nonesense and straight forward.
I have put styrofoam in the bottom of my containers to aid drainage. per Paul James.
The plants seem to be doing well they are are follow:
1. Hibuscus
2. A sage w purple flower (very common in Austin area)
3. Two geraniums
4. A chrisathum (sp?)
5. a pot of cacti (three types)
6. An aloe plant
7. And some basil,mint, lavender and garlic chives.

I am using two different kind of containers. Ceramic and plastic.
I have pictures, just need to download them to the computer.

Thank you again,
cinquefoil

#137191 September 15th, 2006 at 12:42 AM
Hello wavey
Welcome to the forum
Nice to meet you.
flw flw flw

#137192 September 15th, 2006 at 02:13 AM
Hello!
You've come to the right place!
wavey

#137193 September 15th, 2006 at 03:52 PM
[Linked Image]

Hi Anita! wavey Welcome to the forum! smile It's so nice to meet you and I hope to be seeing you around on some of the forums! wink

Have a beautiful day! flw flw flw

Link Copied to Clipboard