This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#13597 December 8th, 2004 at 09:04 PM
G
grnthb Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Has anyone used LED based grow lights? Saw them in the growing Edge magazine about a year ago from a company called SolarOasis www.sloaroasis.com.

I did some research but did not find much so I just bought one. Bottom line is that I have had great success for months now but still have not seen much feedback on them.

Any shared experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Therese

#13598 December 12th, 2004 at 04:04 PM
A
A
I only know one person who uses that product (maybe its a similar led light, i don't know) and she threw it out because it makes the plants look gray-ish. Its true, they lost their green brilliance. It helps the plants grow, but makes it look very unnatractive. Did you notice this?

#13599 December 14th, 2004 at 10:59 PM
B
B
As far as I know there is not any commercial LED light for plants. However, if you feel adventurous, you can get LED lights usually through science vendors (the ones who supply to college lab) and use it for plants. I do not think they cost now that much.

#13600 December 15th, 2004 at 03:14 AM
G
grnthb Offline OP
OP Offline
G
thx, yes, I did notice and I was concerned at first so I contacted the company. They guided me to this section on thier web site:

Why do your lights make my plant look so grey?

plant leaves reflect light colors not used efficiently for growing. Under white light, most plants look some shade of green. This is because white light is mostly green and yellow light mixed. But since our grow lights only supply light in colors plants can use efficiently, very little light is reflected from the leaves. The plant absorbs nearly all of the light provided by SolarOasis Ruby Grow Lights. The effect of this is a plant that looks like it’s in a dark room. It's also a sign that you're not spending money to create a lot of extra light your plants aren't using. Just add a little supplemental sunlight or room lighting when viewing or showing your plants for a natural look.

I am very pleased so far. I am growing mini roses indoors! These, as you know, are well documented as outdoor plants.

thx again,
T

#13601 December 20th, 2004 at 06:28 AM
B
B
I wonder how these compare to Compact Flourescent Lights, which are much cheaper...

Link Copied to Clipboard