This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#135978 November 8th, 2006 at 10:18 AM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE NEWS......NOW I KNOW I AM IN THE CELLAR......

GUESS YOU PAY BIG TIME FOR THAT?

DODGE

#135979 November 8th, 2006 at 10:20 AM
We have optimum online, and yes, we pay through the nose for it! Up until a month ago, it was the only high speed connection we could get here - now Verizon has come and wired the area, but Don doesn't want to switch.

#135980 November 8th, 2006 at 10:23 AM
I have a little computer at the bottom right of my screen and it also says 100 mbps. I have a cable connection.

Merme

#135981 November 8th, 2006 at 10:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mine is 100(thanks Christina) and I don't pay through the nose! grinnnn

I have Verizon and it's only 14.95 a month for their DSL, and I've never had many problems with it at all!

#135982 November 8th, 2006 at 10:24 AM
Lynne-- Verizon is putting up some type of fiber-optic wiring here sometime in the near future... is that what they did to your area?
We have aol high-speed here, not sure what payments are.. Duh laugh laugh laugh

#135983 November 8th, 2006 at 10:26 AM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
plants N POTS.....

tHANKS ..VERIZON IS THE ONE THAT I AM HAVING A PROBLEM WITH.......
THEY ARE BEING HOG NOW.........

MERME ....THANKS
CABLE YOUR PAYING THRU THE NOSE TOO.
I am learning lots here tonite.

dodge

#135984 November 8th, 2006 at 10:29 AM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
loz

verizon Dsl, what are the requirements to use that one?

I have the phone as verizon.

thanks dodge

#135985 November 8th, 2006 at 10:31 AM
No, dodge, I am NOT paying "through the nose" for my connection.

Actually, I got a big SAVINGS when I switched to cable for everything... phone, cable and internet access. The total package was far LESS than what I'd been paying using different companies and for far less quality services and amenitiies. It was a sweet deal, too good to resist, which led me to do it although I strongly dislike the company itself.

Merme

#135986 November 8th, 2006 at 10:33 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I have Verizon and it's only 14.95 a month for their DSL,
shk

I am paying $52 a month for cable internet.
I didn't have the money to pay it this month...so I asked Andy to pay it and he said I better go back to dial-up...because he wasn't paying my internet bill. :p Verizon DSL comes within less than a mile from me...but not available where I live.
It's either cable or dial-up here...that's my options.

I may be going back to dial-up in the near future! laugh

#135987 November 8th, 2006 at 10:33 AM
Ditto Merme...love the deal..can't stand the company!

#135988 November 8th, 2006 at 10:35 AM
Merme - which cable company do you use?

Yes, Mark - they came through our neighborhood for WEEKS ON END, with numerous trucks blocking the roads from dusk til dawn - it really was obnoxious.

We have ours through cablevision, which is the company we had to use for cable tv - they had a monopoly in our entire county, and fought Verizon for the longest time. Looks like they finally lost and have some competition now. Don just doesn't like to make changes. Looks like I'm going to have to look into prices to see if it will make a differenc.

#135989 November 8th, 2006 at 10:39 AM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
I pay $39. plus tax for my Satellite dish.

We really like it ..But the price is climbing.
HD complained one time to them , cant afford it, they cut the price..
My son did that too. Dish.

What do you use your DSL with ,regular computer?

dodge

#135990 November 8th, 2006 at 10:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Verizon does have an awful monopoly, but for the price I'll let them have me as a customer...nobody else can give me high speed internet for 14.95 a month!

Barb, it's just right through the phone line.....if you go to their website or call them they can help you switch and send you a special modem box thing, and filters that you put on your phone jacks. thumbup I've only had a few downtimes in my year plus of having them, and that was when there were really bad storms in the area--and even then it was no more than a few hours....nothing unbearable.

Cindy--that sucks that you pay so much.....I'd be on dial up for sure if I had to pay that much for dsl.

#135991 November 8th, 2006 at 10:47 AM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
loz

Do you have to pay for the box and filters too/

is this a one time offer?

dodge

#135992 November 8th, 2006 at 10:50 AM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
Loz,

Another question ......is that Unlimited use for DSL ?

Boy I am going to drive you bonkers.

barb

#135993 November 8th, 2006 at 10:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Unlimited use! thumbup

They sent me the modem thing and I used it until I switched to the wireless modem/router thingy. The original modem box they sent me didn't cost any extra though....I just paid 14.95 a month for the service. When you are done with their DSL or if you switch to wireless like I did you have to send the modem back to them. thumbup

#135994 November 8th, 2006 at 10:55 AM
Cindy was probably right when she posted.....she posted MBPS.....that's MEGAbits per second.....as opposed to Dodge's 21.6 Kbps.....KILObits per second. Cindy's is MUST faster. The 100kbps is because Sheri is probably using a cable modem....am I right??? ...must be NICE! smile

Stephen said that the little computer icon is just for telling you how fast your connection is between the computer and the modem....not the server speed. ...I know nothing about that. Anyways, I CAN tell you that our server speed is 2.5 mbps and that my wireless network speed is 11mbps.

#135995 November 8th, 2006 at 10:57 AM
I had Verizon DSL for a long time also, and was initially happy with it. And they didn't charge extra for the box and filters, Dodge.

But! Verizon, which was new in Maine, got really ticked off when they discovered that our legislators really MEANT the laws they'd written and that they fully intended to keep Verizon's nose to the task, like it or not.

So ... Verizon now provides really shabby quality service up here and have no offices in our state at all. Since they own ALL the phone line wires statewide and have left many of them deteriorate while battles are being waged in Augusta about it, many customers are just switching to other, more reliable and better priced options -- WITHOUT the headache of nasty customer service reps.

Merme

#135996 November 8th, 2006 at 10:59 AM
Well, I must apologize....I didn't realize there were multiple pages to this thread! SORRY!!!! That's what I get for not being home all day and knowing what's going on.

#135997 November 8th, 2006 at 10:59 AM
Originally posted by plants 'n pots:
Merme - which cable company do you use?
The only one available in my area is Time Warner and I strongly dislike them.

Merme

#135998 November 8th, 2006 at 11:01 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow Merme! That's terrible.....I've always had good customer service from them--very helpful actually. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with them. kissies

The govt. shouldn't allow them to have such monopolies....I just need to go with what's cheap and gives me good service....I had Juno for years and that was $10 a month for dial up...so the $5 difference is peanuts! And really great to a bargain shopper like me! laugh

#135999 November 8th, 2006 at 11:02 AM
ahhhhhhhh - gotcha! I think they are on the same disliked line as Cablevision!

#136000 November 8th, 2006 at 11:04 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Originally posted by hisgal2:
Cindy was probably right when she posted.....she posted MBPS.....that's MEGAbits per second.....as opposed to Dodge's 21.6 Kbps.....KILObits per second. Cindy's is MUST faster. The 100kbps is because Sheri is probably using a cable modem....am I right??? ...must be NICE! smile

Stephen said that the little computer icon is just for telling you how fast your connection is between the computer and the modem....not the server speed. ...I know nothing about that. Anyways, I CAN tell you that our server speed is 2.5 mbps and that my wireless network speed is 11mbps.
OK...so the 11 Mbps is my network speed.
I was getting worried there for a minute!
I have cable..and it is super fast...like I can down load a song in a few seconds...and pages change in an instant.

#136001 November 8th, 2006 at 11:08 AM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks all.........i just looked up the page on our area......

IT is not available in my area.......Rats.

you guys are spoiled.

My serve is blaming the mess on Verizon here. I could agree.......with shaggy lines...

thanks for all the help.

dodge

#136002 November 8th, 2006 at 11:09 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cindy, if you ever had to go back to dial up it would KILL you! shk

When I had dial up it would take me 20 minutes to download a song...now it takes me about a minute and a half or something--I have the slowest of the DSL options. I could never go back to dial up ever though!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard