This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#134725 September 26th, 2006 at 01:49 AM
OP Offline
Good Afternoon!

Since no one has written in here for a while, I thought I'd share some thoughts on our Canadian Thanksgiving.

It's on October 9th (so coming up pretty quick) and this will be the first year my husband and I will be on our own. We usually visit family but decided to start our own tradition this year.

I imagine we'll keep it very traditional; Turkey and my husband LOVES his cranberry sauce. Good news for me is that HE is the cook in our family so I don't have to deal with those hours of prep! laugh

Please let me know what your family is up to this Thanksgiving!

#134726 September 26th, 2006 at 06:42 PM
We usually do turkey, stuffing/dressing, the works. Our "tradition" is trying a new stuffing/dressing every year. This year, it will be a seafood stuffing. Then before we eat, we say a blessing on the meal and everyone says what they are most thankful for that day. Hopefully we will also have a new place to be thankful for! thumbup

#134727 September 27th, 2006 at 02:33 AM
You are so right Shan that our Thanksgiving is coming up fast!!

On the Saturday we are having dinner with my mom and her husband, and then on the Sunday we are out for dinner with my husbands side of the family....and Monday is a...I'm not doing a darn thing day!
I never spend Thanksgiving with my dad and his wife, he works it so that he can have Christmas day, Boxing Day and New Years Eve off at the hospital.
Lots of travelling for us, but what else is new!!

#134728 September 27th, 2006 at 02:54 AM
Thanksgiving for us will be spent with the family. The where and when has not been decided yet but I know I will be cooking a full dinner here no matter what. We like the leftovers!

#134729 October 1st, 2006 at 08:16 PM
I am looking forward to this years Thanksgiving, last year we were right in the middle of moving so it was a hetic time. This will be the first year we do not have to be on the road for the majority of holidays. My husband has quite a network of family and we have 3 dinners on his side of the family and one on mine. None of these family members were ever willing to have dinner on a different day they would however stagger them for us so that we could spend the entire day driving from family dinner to family dinner. I am so excited to be cooking myself and staying right here with my family this year. Its going to be a nice change. I will miss the family but not the chaos!

I will cook a turkey, and the works. I love to cook meals like this, and best of all......I will have leftovers.....I cannot wait to eat a cold turkey sandwich with mustard the next day!

#134730 October 1st, 2006 at 09:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
we aren't sure this year. we have done so many different things, but i'm thinking if i can get it together, we might have a party like we have in years past. and invite singles from our jobs who don't have family here. that is always fun!

#134731 October 1st, 2006 at 11:28 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
We always get a FRESH turkey from my husband's work,
every year... They are 20+lb'ers....
*I personally am not a turkey fan...
but these one's are very tasty...*

We've got a section in the RECIPE ARCHIVES<
about brining them and such here from last year...

But I cook it every year here...
Usually do it twice..
Once for my husband's side and once for my side...
and then there's turkey galore, for leftovers for my husband's lunches and for my mom..
We baggie it up for her and put it in the freezer
and then she can pull out stuff for herself for a quick dinner or lunch and it's all homemade and done, other than the heating and eating... wink thumbup

#134732 October 3rd, 2006 at 02:39 AM
OP Offline
cool It's nice to hear about everyones Thanksgiving! It seems everyone goes the "Traditional" route. Tonya, I LOVE the seafood stuffing idea! Let us know how it tastes. As for everyone else, and for those of you who are cooking more than one turkey shk aren't leftovers great?! How long do they usually last in your family?

#134733 October 3rd, 2006 at 02:46 AM
Leftovers sure do not last long here. A couple of days of turkey sandwiches and then a great turkey soup and they are about gone.

#134734 October 3rd, 2006 at 02:51 AM
OP Offline
Triss that sounds delicious!

My Mom use to make Turkey soup by around the 3rd day. Thanks for the nice memory! smile

#134735 October 3rd, 2006 at 02:52 AM
You are very welcome. Soup is one of the best childhood memories I have as well. I guess that is why I make it so much.

#134736 October 30th, 2006 at 07:33 AM
B
B
Yummm.....

Seafood stuffing????? Recipe, anyone? laugh

Sounds divine!

I think we'll be visiting on Thanksgiving.....however, I'd love to have a Thanksgiving home alone with just my boys.

I love making the turkey and trimmings!

Barb

#134737 November 14th, 2006 at 10:33 PM
I'd like to reopen this thread. I'm just going over the list of family and guests for Thanksgiving dinner. Wondering if anyone else is having a full house for dinner. I've counted 30+. There are 2 babies new this yr. My nephew is in from Germany and his wife and 2 yr. old. Our whole family hasn't been here since my kids have been babies. They are now teenagers. Although we don't come to my house. We go to my Dads. There are 4sisters and 2 sister-in-laws that are in on the preparing. We borrow tables from the VFW and set them end to end. We've never had this many. It has always been a tradition to listen to Christmas songs while cooking dinner. I love it all. Oh yeah, my husband bakes the rolls. Or I should say the loaves of bread. He gets them so big they rise right out of the pans. It has always been so funny.

#134738 November 15th, 2006 at 03:08 AM
Your house is fuller than ours will be. We are having 19 total including my niece who gets to come and stay with us for the weekend!

#134739 November 16th, 2006 at 08:43 PM
This year it is just Doug, Mackenna, and I as Summer will be at her father's house. I can't believe that it is a week away!! thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard