This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#134338 October 10th, 2006 at 01:34 AM
OP Offline
Some of you have been anxiously waiting for me to post the projects I knitted for the recent forum babies. Some of you have already seen a few pictures in the Thank You thread in Banter. Some don't care? laugh Duh

I was hoping to wait until all of them had been received, but I know how very busy G-Mom and Missy are right now, so I'll go ahead and post about them now.

I wanted to make something different.
I also didn't want to make a blanket, as I knew that Triss was crocheting some beautiful ones.

I did an extensive online pattern search, and found some very cute bears, that could be made in any variety of yarns that your mind could dream up - PERFECT! Only problem was... the pattern belonged to an organization that sells it for $3, and the bears are supposed to be sent to them to donate to Third World countries to give to very young children who are sadly raped, and the babies that result from that awful crime.

So on and on I searched some more.
WHAT???
Someone actually posted the pattern for those very same bears on their own website and gave it a different name!!!

WHAT TO DO... WHAT TO DO... WHAT TO DO???
My conscience first said, "don't do it", "it's not right"!
Then it said... anything that is posted on the internet is fair game, unless copyrighted, and since I do not ever intend to sell these bears, I don't think there would be any harm in making them for baby gifts.

OK then! Fast forward to allllllllll summer long and into September, and I was knitting those bears just as fast as I could. I wanted to get them all done by the time all the babies were born. PHEW! Every single car ride that I took where Don was driving and it was for more than 15 minutes, the bears came with me in one form or another! It really helped pass the time driving up and back to Ithaca once (4 hours each way!), and up and back to Saratoga Springs twice (2 1/2 hours each way, 4 times!!!)

Here is the very first one I made.
I decided to make it for our great niece who is 18 months old. I had plenty of light pink yarn left over from Amy's afghan, so that seemed like a good start for the body. The mistake I made, was not realizing that you are supposed to knit the skirt right onto the body BEFORE sewing the bear up, so I had to knit it separately and then sew it on - it's fine that way, but looks a bit more "finished" the right way. She also came out a bit skinny - I didn't know how much to stuff them at first!

[Linked Image]

Next came the bears for baby Destiny and her big sister Reyla - (baby on right)
DixieAngel's (Dianna) sweet granddaughters.
[Linked Image]

Then the first boy bear, for Aiden.
Shown here with Lil' Naomi's bear.
[Linked Image]

Here's a picture of Destiny's and Lil' Naomi's.
Same yarn, different stitching on the pink, so one came out just a bit shorter and fuller than the other.
[Linked Image]

I love the fact that each one comes out just a bit diffently,
even if you use the same yarn. The possibilities are endless!

#134339 October 10th, 2006 at 05:14 AM
wow Lynne!

Those are neat little bears!
I suppose it must take a while for each one!

thumbup thumbup laugh laugh laugh wink clp

#134340 October 10th, 2006 at 05:23 AM
OP Offline
Thanks, Mark - they are not as small as they look here actually. If you look at PattyS.' picture of the one I sent her granddaughter, Lil' Naomi, it's almost as big as she is!!! I found the bears very huggable myself! laugh shocked Duh

Lil\' Naomi and bear cool

And hers ended up being the smallest one so far!

#134341 October 10th, 2006 at 05:56 AM
wow Lynne--they are pretty big!

I found the bears very huggable myself!
shk laugh laugh laugh

#134342 October 10th, 2006 at 09:18 AM
Wow what a beautiful and special gift! What a heart of gold you have, and talent. I always wanted to crochet and I just cannot do it, I can quilt and love to but crocheting makes my finger tangle up. :rolleyes: kissies

#134343 October 10th, 2006 at 08:19 PM
Those are AWESOME!! I wish I had the patience to do that! I can't sit still long enough to learn. Who knows....maybe next Summer at the camping trip you can teach me.

#134344 October 10th, 2006 at 11:05 PM
Lynne,

All of your bears turned out beautiful!!!! You did awesome work on them all!!

#134345 October 11th, 2006 at 01:37 AM
Lynne...the Bears turned out beautifully, i loved the one with the skirt!!
Well done!

#134346 October 11th, 2006 at 05:45 AM
Lynne they are very good thumbup

#134347 October 11th, 2006 at 12:08 PM
Hey Lynn...
Love the bears... any chance you may share the pattern pls ??
ty bunches
huggz
Tina

#134348 October 30th, 2006 at 07:13 AM
B
B
Originally posted by plants 'n pots:
Thanks, Mark - they are not as small as they look here actually. If you look at PattyS.' picture of the one I sent her granddaughter, Lil' Naomi, it's almost as big as she is!!! I found the bears very huggable myself! laugh shocked Duh

Lil\' Naomi and bear cool

And hers ended up being the smallest one so far!
They are absolutely adorable, Lynn!!!!!!

I love them! Did you also make something in a bunny shape? I *think* I saw a bunny in your photos.

I am no knitter...but, I would BUY them! You should make some to sell, IMO.

So glad to be back among friends....and with such talent!! I can't believe how sweet those bears are!
kissies
Barb

#134349 October 30th, 2006 at 07:55 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Barb! shocked kissies

You're too kind! I'd love to sell some bears and bunnies, but... the patterns that I got for them were free online, and I'd have to get permission from the pattern posters to be able to do that. Since the bear pattern was actually "stolen" by the poster, I'm not going to get involved with any legal matters where that's concerned. I'm just happy to be able to make some and share them with my friends here, ya know?

Here's a link to the bunny I made. So far, I've only completed one, but have knitted the squares to sew up 2 more - that's the time consuming part.

my knitted bunny

#134350 October 30th, 2006 at 09:41 AM
B
B
Originally posted by plants 'n pots:
Thanks Barb! shocked kissies

You're too kind! I'd love to sell some bears and bunnies, but... the patterns that I got for them were free online, and I'd have to get permission from the pattern posters to be able to do that. Since the bear pattern was actually "stolen" by the poster, I'm not going to get involved with any legal matters where that's concerned. I'm just happy to be able to make some and share them with my friends here, ya know?

Here's a link to the bunny I made. So far, I've only completed one, but have knitted the squares to sew up 2 more - that's the time consuming part.

my knitted bunny
Dahlinggggg.....!!!!

Would you make me a bunnie????? LOL! I collect bunnies..I call my house bunny hill! I get a lot of baby bunnies in the spring! I totally collect bunnies~!!!!!!

LOL!!!! I would love a bunny in pink! or baby blue! or both!

I would be willing to trade for anything! seeds, etc! LOL...no hurry!

Barb

Link Copied to Clipboard