Some of you have been anxiously waiting for me to post the projects I knitted for the recent forum babies. Some of you have already seen a few pictures in the Thank You thread in Banter. Some don't care?
I was hoping to wait until all of them had been received, but I know how very busy G-Mom and Missy are right now, so I'll go ahead and post about them now.
I wanted to make something different.
I also didn't want to make a blanket, as I knew that Triss was crocheting some beautiful ones.
I did an extensive online pattern search, and found some very cute bears, that could be made in any variety of yarns that your mind could dream up - PERFECT! Only problem was... the pattern belonged to an organization that sells it for $3, and the bears are supposed to be sent to them to donate to Third World countries to give to very young children who are sadly raped, and the babies that result from that awful crime.
So on and on I searched some more.
Someone actually posted the pattern for those very same bears on their own website and gave it a different name!!!
WHAT TO DO... WHAT TO DO... WHAT TO DO???
My conscience first said, "don't do it", "it's not right"!
Then it said... anything that is posted on the internet is fair game, unless copyrighted, and since I do not ever intend to sell these bears, I don't think there would be any harm in making them for baby gifts.
OK then! Fast forward to allllllllll summer long and into September, and I was knitting those bears just as fast as I could. I wanted to get them all done by the time all the babies were born. PHEW! Every single car ride that I took where Don was driving and it was for more than 15 minutes, the bears came with me in one form or another! It really helped pass the time driving up and back to Ithaca once (4 hours each way!), and up and back to Saratoga Springs twice (2 1/2 hours each way, 4 times!!!)
Here is the very first one I made.
I decided to make it for our great niece who is 18 months old. I had plenty of light pink yarn left over from Amy's afghan, so that seemed like a good start for the body. The mistake I made, was not realizing that you are supposed to knit the skirt right onto the body BEFORE sewing the bear up, so I had to knit it separately and then sew it on - it's fine that way, but looks a bit more "finished" the right way. She also came out a bit skinny - I didn't know how much to stuff them at first!
Next came the bears for baby Destiny and her big sister Reyla - (baby on right)
DixieAngel's (Dianna) sweet granddaughters.
Then the first boy bear, for Aiden.
Shown here with Lil' Naomi's bear.
Here's a picture of Destiny's and Lil' Naomi's.
Same yarn, different stitching on the pink, so one came out just a bit shorter and fuller than the other.
I love the fact that each one comes out just a bit diffently,
even if you use the same yarn. The possibilities are endless!