This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#133244 October 25th, 2005 at 05:34 AM
melcon6 Offline OP
OP Offline
So, I've had this thing on my face for a couple years and it comes and goes and itches and bleeds and scabs and then it's back to skin color but still kinda there always. I'd been thinking about having my doctor look at it and I kept putting it off and thinking I was at the doctors in March for a procedure of another kind and noone says anything about the "thing on my face" and I've been to the dentist not only every six months but also had some work done which I think was an extra 3-4 visits and he never said anything about it either? Duh
So my sisters all came up this summer (in overlapping shifts) and they're all saying have that "thing on your face" looked at will ya? One of them even said , "That's cancer, you idiot, call the doctor tomorrow .

So this was in August, first I go to see my PC, and the nurse and doctor say, oh you're the one with the "thing on your face". The doctor takes one look and gives me the sad , pathetic look and asks about family history, sun exposure (duh, I live at the beach) and says it looks like skin cancer, probably basal cell. Normally she herself would do the biopsy but she won't do it because she doesn't want to mess up my face. She wants me to go to a dermatologist, they'll do the biopsy first and when the results come back then they'll probably remove it and have a plastic surgeon on hand to "fix" my face.
The dermatologist is 40 miles away. I called to make the appointment and she says they have nothing until late December, I said , "um, I think my dr. wanted me seen before then, but o.k." So she takes all my personal info and then asks what the referall was for so I read off the paperwork "abnormal skin lesion on face" and she says, "Actually, I have an opening this Wednesday at 3" O.k., now we're getting somewhere.....

This is such a long post........There's more to the story, let me know if you're with me so far.......I do have basal cell carcinoma but they tell me it's the "best kind of cancer to have" Woohoo! :p

#133245 October 25th, 2005 at 05:38 AM
Melcon, I am so sorry to hear this. And you do not sound the least bit incompetant.

We have a huge family history of such things and so my siblings and I are very familiar -- by observation and by personal experience.

It is VERY GOOD that you are being seen as quickly as you are.

Merme

#133246 October 25th, 2005 at 05:38 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
There's more to the story, let me know if you're with me so far.......
I'm with you... kissies
...and I want the rest of the story.

We have a huge family history of such things and so my siblings and I are very familiar -- by observation and by personal experience.
I know nothing about this...don't know anyone whose had this. So, I'm kinda ignorant on the subject. All I know is...when I hear "cancer" from one of my friends, it makes me worried and upset.

Cindy

#133247 October 25th, 2005 at 05:47 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
kissies

#133248 October 25th, 2005 at 06:04 AM
melcon6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow, you guys are making me cry p so I wanted to wrap them up for him! She wouldn't give them to me, but did give me some awesome ideas of hideous things to plop into a specimen jar for him. laugh

Then she cuts off a tiny piece of the "thing on my face" and sends that off to the lab. She then suggests because I live so far away they have the surgeon peek in and do the consulatation now and I can skip that visit and (save some gas) the surgeon did come in , she said, yup looks like basal cell. They tell me that it should take 1 - 1 1/2 weeks before I hear from the lab, then we'll schedule the surgery Mohs surgery

I called them after 2 weeks had gone by and nothing. The woman who answered the phone just took my message and they called back 4 1/2 hours later and said they didn't know why the lab had been holding my results but ,yes , you have cancer (the two cocoa pebbles are normal). She starts talking about scheduling a consultation but I tell her we can skip that because I already saw the doctor, she says "oh, I didn't know that because we can't find your records (DUH, maybe that's why the lab couldn't send the results) I've had Steve looking for them all day. So I told her have him try looking in Dr. Byrnes records , and she's like oh good idea. I'll have the dr. call you on Monday.

No one called today?????

#133249 October 25th, 2005 at 06:08 AM
I'd be FLOODING that office with phone calls, Melcon! You should have heard something by the close of business today, so get right on the phone first thing in the morning!

I'd also give the surgeon a "head's up" the next time you see him, that his staff wasn't exactly efficient in this matter.

Merme

#133250 October 25th, 2005 at 06:11 AM
melcon6 Offline OP
OP Offline
I know, I love the doctor and assistant, now if the rest of them could get their poop together!

#133251 October 25th, 2005 at 06:11 AM
melcon6 Offline OP
OP Offline
My goodness, you speed reader!

#133252 October 25th, 2005 at 06:13 AM
melcon6 Offline OP
OP Offline
You know, I'm most pi$$ed off at my dentist, the lesion is right between my nose and upper lip, he does checks for mouth cancer?

#133253 October 25th, 2005 at 06:18 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I'd be FLOODING that office with phone calls, Melcon! You should have heard something by the close of business today, so get right on the phone first thing in the morning!
I second that!

#133254 October 25th, 2005 at 06:21 AM
My Monday night counselor is on her way in, so I gotta go for now. But Melcon, you know I'm here even when the computer is off for a bit.

Merme

#133255 October 25th, 2005 at 06:23 AM
melcon6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you sweetie, kissies , I'm going to bed, I'm tired tonight from staying up too late on the forum last night, all those shotz from Weezie did me in! laugh laugh

#133256 October 25th, 2005 at 06:38 AM
hey Mel wavey

my sis had one of those lesions taken off of her cheek.

No scars,and she said it didn't hurt.
Take care and try not to be scared. kissies

luv Shari

#133257 October 25th, 2005 at 07:15 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hi Mel.....
Sorry I kept you up so late, it was just fun
doin' "shotz with ya" wink kissies

#133258 October 25th, 2005 at 07:32 AM
Mel, ditto what duckie said. My brother had the same kind of cancer on his back - they took it off last summer, and it's totally gone. He worked at a cancer center at the time, so he was well prepared/educated by his colleagues, etc. - and he said the same thing to me at the time - that it's the best kind to have...so you're okay smile I would be on the horn with that office too though - no excuse for such inadequacies when it's so important that they're NOT! Hang in there - I'm with ya - and it's all gonna be okay! smile

#133259 October 25th, 2005 at 09:09 AM
Wow, Mel, that's crazy! I'm glad to hear it's the "best kind to have", but even so, it must have scared you some. Hope you're fine, and give the doctor's office h@#l!

#133260 October 25th, 2005 at 10:30 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Well...I'm kinda like Cindy...the word "cancer" in itself is a scortcher for me...but..I am so glad you had the proceedure done and since everyone here says you're fine...then hey...take it and run! thumbup This is a pretty smart bunch of cookies!

#133261 October 25th, 2005 at 09:56 PM
Don't be scared Mel, basal cell is the most common form of cancer and is easy to remove. It's unsightly but not deadly and is pretty slow growing. Eventually it will get large enough to leave scarring when removed but it sounds like yours is not that large yet. Don't wait too long but also don't worry.

#133262 October 26th, 2005 at 01:36 AM
melcon6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you all for your encouraging words! grinnnn

#133263 October 26th, 2005 at 09:58 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well, bug the sh!~ out of them!! YOU are too important to become "just a specimen" to them. and keep us posted!

#133264 October 26th, 2005 at 03:45 PM
melcon6 Offline OP
OP Offline
They finally called back to schedule the surgery, but they only do it on mon or fri and my days off are wed and thurs eek so I have to ask my boss which day would be best. They've got Dec. 5, 12, or 16 available . The 16th would be best because that's my last day of work then 3 weeks vacation and then it can heal and my "kids" at school won't see it, but it's clean-up day and none of us can miss that day because we scrub the kitchen from top to bottom and it's the work Christmas party so I'll miss that but........I gotta call my boss today and see what he thinks.......it's funny how I've had this thing on my face for two years but now that I know it's cancer I can't wait to get it off! :p

#133265 October 26th, 2005 at 05:09 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
I've had this thing on my face for two years but now that I know it's cancer I can't wait to get it off!
Good, thumbup you don't need to wait to get it off...I would be like that too....that would work good if you could do it before your vacation....but, if not...I don't think it will look that bad..if you are worried about it "scaring" the kids.

#133266 October 26th, 2005 at 05:22 PM
melcon6 Offline OP
OP Offline
I don't think it will look that bad..if you are worried about it "scaring" the kids.
They're high school kids, so not so much scaring them as will it look gross! When I had the biopsy it was scabby for over 2 weeks and the kids thought I had blemish problems and pick at my face or something, I did have a chat with some of them and told them what it was . I've talked to some of the girls who like to go tanning, trying to get them to think about the future and taking care of their skin, but you know teens , they always think it won't happen to them.

When I was growing up sunscreen was a t-shirt thrown on after 1/2 day at the beach and already turning red! We spent summers living on Cape Cod and going to the beach or out on the boat every single day. Now that I live at the beach , I take pride in my own kids lilly white skin! Some people always think they are too white and they need some color, I say :p

#133267 October 26th, 2005 at 06:26 PM
Melcon, I absolutely agree with you about protecting the children's skin.

My dad died at age 40 from malignant melanoma, the kind of cancer that starts with a mole that gets changed by the sun. His was on his back, up near the shoulder, and like most healthy young guys back then, he ran around outdoors without a shirt.

All of his kids have been hyper-vigilant about our children's skin. Even when they complain! And because our physicians all know about our family history, they pay attention to our skin as well, just keeping an eye out in case we miss something. In fact, one of us visits a dermatologist routinely to have photos taken of all skin areas so the doc can have comparison shots.

So even if others think you are bonkers about insisting on protecting the children's skin, you just keep right on doing it.

And good for you, too, trying to educate the "invincible" teens at your school...

I hope your boss comes up with a good suggestion on which day to pick for your surgery. One that doesn't just work out ok for his schedule, but one that also works well for you, giving you enough time to have it done and feel your best again before returning!

PLEASE keep us posted.

Merme

#133268 October 26th, 2005 at 10:23 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Some people always think they are too white and they need some color, I say :p
There's some really good tanning cremes, lotions
and spray on stuff that work really nice...

No need for sun, well, I take that back...
Yes there is...You do need it for a few minutes
aday to absorb thru your skin for vitamin D..

And plants need it realllllllllly bad... thumbup grinnnn

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard