This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#132833 June 21st, 2005 at 03:42 PM
Amber J Offline OP
OP Offline
Look what I found in my LIVING ROOM tonight -
[Linked Image]

Anyone have any info on how I could keep scorpions out but not hurt my cats?

#132834 June 21st, 2005 at 05:24 PM
Meg Offline
Oh My GOD. That is like, way worse than my black widows on the back side of the house!!!! RUN AWAY!!! eek eek eek

Seriously, I have no idea how to help with scorpions. I think I'd freak if I ever saw one of those. Especially since I don't live in that hot of a climate.

Meg

#132835 June 21st, 2005 at 05:53 PM
Wow. He's a beauty. Just put him in a jar and take him outside and let him go. Where there's cover so he doesn't get eaten. You're much bigger than him. Don't be afraid. Wear some gloves if you need to. It's probably an unlikely event you'll ever get any more inside. Just your lucky day.

#132836 June 21st, 2005 at 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Longy:
Just your lucky day.
I would consider it unlucky to find one in my home. I would probably be calling the realtor!

laugh laugh laugh

Dianna

#132837 June 21st, 2005 at 07:30 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I've never lived in a desert climate so I don't know how to deal with that kind of visitor. But I would use long tongs to pick him up. That's what my biology teacher used to use. His scorpions were much smaller though.

I'd be checking my home for holes though. You know the places, dryer vent where it goes to the outside. Kitchen fan same thing. Anywhere a contractor has had to make a hole to the outside for one appliance or another. Make sure they are all sealed good and tight.

#132838 June 22nd, 2005 at 05:22 AM
Amber J Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by Longy:
Just put him in a jar and take him outside and let him go.
Haha, you're funny.

Let me just give you guys a rundown of how much I like scorpions:

1. I saw it

2. I ran in circles and screamed at the TOP OF MY LUNGS without any self-control

3. I grabbed a DVD and smashed it.

4. I called my husband in tears from on top of the coffee table and hyperventilated.

Soo ... picking it up is waaaay out of the questions. No way would I put it back outside and let it live so it can come back inside and eat me. I wish death and earthly banishment to all scorpions. (You'll notice his tail is smooshed - he's actually a dead scorpion in that picture. I managed to take it after I calmed down.)

(BTW, my husband had the good sense to ask me, "Which DVD?")

I just can't seems to find the answer of whether or not cats are truly immune to scorpion stings. I looked on vet websites, etc.... Anyone ever seen a cat actually eat a scorpion? kit

#132839 June 22nd, 2005 at 08:21 AM
:rolleyes: geez.....take a deep breath.
Do you have a phobia about scorpions?

This is the Organic Forum.I'm certainly not going to give advice about killing them.

I'm sorry you were so scared.I don't get it ,but I know some folks have phobias.

When I lived in OK. we had scorpions and triantulas(sp) coming in the house all the time.
It was an old farmhouse.I blocked all access points and the problem was solved.

They really are more scared of you. grinnnn

#132840 June 22nd, 2005 at 09:21 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Longy..you are such a MAN!!!! laugh laugh laugh

Duckie when I lived in Oklahoma I has scorpions and Triantulas(just copied your spelling so I wouldn't have to look it up!)
When we had our house built, I had bought new furniture in advance and the company had stored it...after it was delivered and in the house for about a week, I was stting in the FLOOR hemming curtains and scorpions started coming out of the couch! shk I think the count stopped at 16! Man was that a trip! I would find them around for a month or so after but FINALLY got them all out.

#132841 June 22nd, 2005 at 12:29 PM
Amber J Offline OP
OP Offline
How did you get them all out?

This is the organic forum, that's why I thought I could find a good way to get rid of them without hurting the cats. Such as ... an organic way??

#132842 July 8th, 2005 at 07:16 AM
I can't see the picture!!

its not coming up, but I take it that the picture is of a scorpion??!?!?!!?

ninni

#132843 July 8th, 2005 at 09:23 PM
you have to take precations with scorpians.When I lived in Corpus Christi we had some but were different from yours.yours are more poisonous.Hey....they DO eat spiders and other insects....and other scorpians.I was a teenager when lived around them last.I use to pour tequila on them.they sting theirselves to death. Is your house new? or old? do you have boards or rocks or stuff laying around the yard?or rubbish?stuff thats undistrubed....and they hide from light,they don't like light.they come out at night alot.they can hide in clothes thats folded& they can hide in your bed.I use to check my bed at night before getting in it.and if you got shoes you don't wear alot?check them before wearing.They make some stuff thats organic that you can spray its an insecticide.Called SC something.I'll have to check with my bro in law...he's an exterminator and this is what he used at dads place.Dads place was undistrbed property.were undr some boards and an old kids bycycle.they treated the property then the house but after not seen in house only did the outside.I think he said they don't regularly live below 45 L.but I've not READ that anywhere.they usually don't attack...only prey& they wait for their prey to come to them.we use to tease them with those huge Tx sized waterbug roach looking things.I use to find them in the hower all the time.i was always glad the bathroom had white floors...and a drain,I'd shove to drain..could go in but not fit out.dots.

ya wanna know something kewl????the female scorpian don't don't lay eggs....she has nymps and she carries them on her back.they average around 35(we used magnifying glasses checking them out.we pinned them down on beer cans with stright pins..remeber...I was a TEENAGER)and I keept one in a jar once....for 6 months....and I DIDN'T feed it!!!!!and it took it that long to roak

you need to look these pics and then you'll know what kind you seen.

http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/insects/az1223/#ARIZONABARKSCORPION

#132844 July 11th, 2005 at 01:24 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
When I was a kid in New Mexcio we had scorpians all the time. We had the big ones with red tails also some with black tails we shook out our clothes even if hanging and knock out our boots as they love getting in them. Beleive me they can make a nasty bite on you toe if not careful make you foot swell pretty good but not a much as a Rattler bite does(don't ask me how I know). Just get something and pick it up gently so as not to hurt it and place it outside under a bush like was stated before . No use ruining a good DVD on them laugh you might want it later.
Jimmy

#132845 July 20th, 2005 at 03:07 PM
Amber J Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow I didn't realize this post was still active!

Fuuny thing was Jimmy, my husband asked me what happened to it and I replied through broken, hyperventilated teary breaths, "I smashed it with a movie and now I'm too scared to pick it up and see if it's dead!"

To which he replied, "which movie?"

Sometimes, my husband just doesn't GET IT. smile

#132846 July 27th, 2005 at 10:20 AM

That is a riot. Dont smash them get the drunk and they commit suicide. lol!

Link Copied to Clipboard