This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#132586 July 12th, 2005 at 06:34 PM
tamara Offline OP
OP Offline
My grandmother hasn't been doing well lately. This amazing woman has had 17 children of her own and adopted another when the 17 were almost raised. She and my grandfather celebrated 70 years of marriage in January, she is 86. She has seen so much hardship in her life, they didn't have much money but she made up for it with love.

We took her to the hospital and she laid on the stretcher and cried, first time I've ever in my life seen her cry, it broke my heart. How could someone so strong be so frail and small now. She might weigh 85 pounds, is losing her sight. Just last month she was outside with her youngest son, planting up a new flower bed, I caught her a couple of weeks ago on her hands and knees waxing the floor. She wasn't pleased that I finished it and would not leave her do it.

I am not prepared to see her go and neither is anyone in the area. She was the woman who fed the neighbor's children when the father drank the cheque, who took in the baby no one wanted, who stayed up all night with the child who was dying, who comforted the friend when their children drowned trying to save someone, who took us in when my father killed himself and our house burned down right after.

I am so brokenhearted lately. ters

#132587 July 12th, 2005 at 06:44 PM
tamara, I understand how you feel. My grandmothers were very strong-willed women and when their lives were almost over, it was so sad to see them lose the "spark" that always made them stand out from the rest of the family.

Like you, my grandmothers both had to help rear lots of children that didn't have what they needed at home. They always provided the unconditional love to everyone that needed the extra TLC.

I remember seeing my maternal grandmother cry for the first time. It was a very upsetting experience to see such a strong woman break down and cry.

Adding your grandmother (and your family) to my prayer list....

Dianna

#132588 July 12th, 2005 at 06:52 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I am so brokenhearted lately.
ters
I'm thinking we need another forum here pretty soon...
...for broken hearts.
We seem to have a lot of them floating around here these days.
I'm sure glad we have each other to talk to.
Without this place I would have no one to share anything with.

You all are in my prayers today.

Cindy

#132589 July 13th, 2005 at 06:35 AM
Oh dear, I can well imagine what you must be going through and understand your brokenheartedness. ANYONE would find this hard to bear.

And you know, none of the canned phrases make any difference. Yes, your grandmother has had a good life that impacted many people for the better. And yes, her body is wearing out and that's only natural. And yes, life will somehow go on.

All these statements are true, but are no comfort to you at a time like this. It's KILLING you to watch a once vibrant, powerful woman diminish and you can't stop it.

So like afgrey said, we are all here for you, come what may. WHATEVER comes, if it comes, when it comes, we will be here.

All prayers, always.

Merme

#132590 July 13th, 2005 at 08:28 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Tamara my heart and prayers go out to you and your family. I lost my Grandmother on my dad's side in 1954 to Bone Cancer. She was A little woman but strong willed as all get out. she raised 7 kids share cropping after my Grandaddy was killed by a trian in 1918, I remember small lady with lots of hair. I used to love to wathc her undo her bun as her long black hair would drag the floor. She was such a sweet lady she taught me to drink coffee from my saucer before I could walk. Taught me to love mac and cheeze. Have so many memeories of her I still carry with me. You know she refused hte pain meds the doctor tried to get her to take. She would tell him the good lord won't give me more pain then I can take. I never knew my grandmother on my mothers side as she died with the "fever" in hall county when my mother was very young. But her tin type shows those high cheek bones of a Cherokee and cold black hair. We always carry a sweet memory of our grand parents. All my prayers are with you.
Jimmy

Link Copied to Clipboard