This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#132296 June 10th, 2005 at 05:17 PM
OP Offline
One of the coolest things about this new house is that we have wild parrots in the neighborhood. thumbup Apparently the city has a few flocks of them that just cruise around town. I don't know where they came from but 4 or 5 birds show up every morning, then disappear for the day, then come back at sunset. They are smallish with bright green feathers and a bit of red above their beaks. I've tried taking pictures but I haven't got a good one yet. I think once we get all settled I'll maybe put up a bird feeder somewhere where the dog won't bother them.

So Cindy, what do you think my little wild parrots would like best? What's Lola's favorite? grinnnn

#132297 June 17th, 2005 at 12:44 PM
woah! you are sooo lucky! I bet they are beautiful! maybe you could do a search somewhere for wild parrots and maybe find something that could help ya?

#132298 June 17th, 2005 at 04:00 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
sunflower seeds? I know a lot of birds will dig them out of a mix of seeds. And make one big mess doing it too. lol

#132299 June 17th, 2005 at 06:46 PM
C
C
They could be conures or amazons. Parrots definately love sunflower seeds. Mine loves walnuts and peanuts. Those are her absolute favorites. I try to limit those as she is a couch potato and doesn't do much and I don't want her to get too heavy. You could put out fruits and veggies. Our neighbor puts out oranges and apples for the oriels here. Just make sure it doesn't stay out too long or it will spoil. Connie

#132300 June 17th, 2005 at 08:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lola LOVES cheese-nips!

You could always purchase bird food made especially for parrots,check your local wally-world thumbup

G-Mom grinnnn

#132301 June 17th, 2005 at 09:54 PM
OP Offline
I think I'll check at Wally World when I finally have a space set up. We had 11 parrots sitting on the telephone wires above our yard last Sat. morning. Luckily they weren't all talking at once. We've had 4 at one time before that had a little screeching contest and it was deafening. grinnnn

#132302 June 18th, 2005 at 12:45 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Oh, man, how did I not see this topic?

I would be in heaven if I had all those parrots in the yard!

Yeah...on the sunflower seed idea, you can't go wrong. It's a favorite treat for a parrot!

Lola's favorite treat is Avi-Cakes (those with parrots know what I'm talking about). They are expensive, so you wouldn't want to get them started on THAT! Lola goes balistic when she doesn't get her Avi-Cake the second she asks for it. (She has a $30. a week habit...and wastes most of the cake. The birds outside get what she wastes, though.)

I have seen a lot of stuff on Animal Planet about all the wild parrots in California, and the wild Quaker parrots in Florida. If I lived where there were a bunch of wild parrots they'd have me committed to an institution. The term "Crazy Bird Lady" they use here to describe me would not even come close to what they'd be calling me if I had a YARD full of PARROTS! grinnnn

And as for the Cheese-Nips... :rolleyes:

Lola loves them, but she would eat the corners off then throw the rest in the floor. Wild Willy sent her a box of "Sponge Bob" Cheese-Its for Christmas. She had never had them before. She ate every bite of them. No waste!
After that box was gone, I got her the regular kind (square) and she threw a FIT! mad She would NOT eat them!

So, back to the store.
(Yes...I made a special trip) :rolleyes:
Got her a box of the Sponge Bob Cheese-Its and she was a happy parrot again.

Cindy Jo

#132303 June 18th, 2005 at 01:26 AM
OP Offline
I've lived in Ca. my whole life and never knew we had wild flocks of parrots! I'll try and get some pictures so you can see my feathered friends.

#132304 June 18th, 2005 at 01:31 AM
M
M
Probably wild quakers. They are very common in wild packs. If you ever owned one (I have two) then you could experience the wonders that are the "wild and dangerous" quaker parots...or as we call ours cracker parrots. Thats all they say..I want a cracker since cracker means treats! laugh

#132305 June 18th, 2005 at 08:45 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I'll try and get some pictures so you can see my feathered friends.
Pleeeeease get some pictures!!!

I wanna see 'em!

There are a LOT of quaker parrots in Florida. They make their nests lots of times up in high-voltage transformers...needless to say, dangerous for the parrots and when one gets fried, which happens often, it shuts down power.

Cindy

#132306 June 19th, 2005 at 03:26 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
I don't know about wild parrots, but my wife saw some society finches at a petshop and that's what she really wants now. Anybody have any experience with them?

#132307 June 19th, 2005 at 04:11 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
cute comment on the bottom there Thornius. I like it. Don't know anything about the finches though sorry.

#132308 June 23rd, 2005 at 05:42 PM
C
C
Most finches are pretty hardy little birds. They will be very happy in as large a cage as you can offer. In my opinion, the so called "finch" cages are not big enough. They need room to fly around and exercize. They love to bathe.

I have a canary and he has a cage that is way longer than it is tall as they really don't fly straight up. He enjoys toys and is a wonderful eater. He will eat anything that my parrot eats as far as fruits, veggies and ect. This is our little Cricket:

[Linked Image]

#132309 June 28th, 2005 at 09:04 PM
R
R
I have a brother-in-law from Miami who always spoke of the Floridian parrots. I noticed some, here, in SoCal after I moved (10 months ago). So, I looked into it. And this is some of what I found...

#132310 June 28th, 2005 at 09:31 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
COOL! ! ! ! ! thumbup

Nice links!

#132311 June 28th, 2005 at 09:57 PM
OP Offline
Wow.. what great links. Thanks Rugby. We have two parrots that have made a nest in the big palm tree next to our house. We see at least those two every sunset. kissies

Link Copied to Clipboard