This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#13209 September 23rd, 2003 at 09:58 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I have been growing my Bleeding Heart for over a year now. It keeps growing and growing ... but no flowers. I re-potted it about 2 months ago but still nothing. My plant sits next to a large window and gets partial sun. Help!

#13210 September 24th, 2003 at 12:20 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Well hello there Chat_Noir,
Very nice to have you here at
The Garden Helpers Forum, Welcome aboard!!!!
Anyways, I have some questions for you?????
Do you have the bleeding heart in a
pot inside your home????
I live in a zone 5, and mine goes dormant in the hot summer months, because it likes the cool, spring like conditions, once they get too hot, they go nite~nite.
Would it be possible that it needs a dormant time
(like here in the North) to sleep a bit, and then plant it out doors???
It might have something to do with the root system.
I've never grown mine in a pot. Duh
Is it possible for you to plant it outside next
spring and see then if it blooms for you??????

Weezie

I see you're from Washington, our great head gardening guru is from there, are you close to him, he lives in Sultan????

P.S. Happy B~day!!!

#13211 September 24th, 2003 at 04:55 PM
J
J
Hi - I also have never grown a bleeding heart indoors, but have two outdoors in partially shaded areas. The one in the most shade seems to do the best; however it is the most common variety. I have a "specialty" one (Japanese variety), that doesn't seem to bloom much at all - I think this year I only got two blooms. So my question is this - is it a common variety or a special type? If special, it may be like mine and "finicky". I like Weezie would also suggest moving it outdoors if at all possible to see how it does there. - Good luck to you - if I come up with anything else I'll let you know!

#13212 September 24th, 2003 at 06:33 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the reply. I got the plant from a friend ... after a break-up, hence bleeding heart. I'm not sure what kind it is, I didn't bother to ask. It's my first plant and I have to admit that I don't have much of a green thumb. I have it growing indoors and I'll try moving it outside but perhaps next year since our summer is almost over here in Seattle (which is close to Sultan). Thanks for the help!

#13213 September 24th, 2003 at 07:05 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Chat_Noir,
It'll only take one plant to get you hooked!!
Gardening can be great theropy, time well spent,
get you going with excercise and sunshine,
I could go on and on and on,
I hope your first endevour with gardening outside,
goes well for you.....
And don't get discouraged if it doesn't work.
BUT there's always something~some
plant that's very easy to grow....
Stick around on the site, Bill's done some great work on starting a gardener at getting into gardening for the beginer. That's how alot of "us" gardeners learn, is by reading, and experimenting!!
Read up on the bleeding heart, it likes shade and cooler temp's, but mine tolerates some sun because I compost it and keep it moist.
(If I lack in that department, it goes dormant, all on it's own and goes to sleep for the summer, and then comes back in the spring time all refreshed and rested!!)
I sincerely hope you stick around and get to know the group of gardeners, learn lots of gardening things, and get to experience the Gardening Bug!!
Enjoy,
Hope this info helps!
Happy Gardening!
Weezie wavey

Link Copied to Clipboard