This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#131517 August 30th, 2004 at 05:13 PM
O
OP Offline
O
i need some help. i have a venus flytrap and the ends of the leaves are turning black. i have not transplanted yet, i am waiting for it to become healty. what should i do ?

#131518 August 30th, 2004 at 09:50 PM
Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
Hi Bunny! Welcome to the forum smile

I'm not too good at raising them, but that's mainly a cause of me not giving them enough light. So, are all the leaves ends turning black? Or is it just a few. If its just a few, then don't worry about it. Flytraps naturally expell leaves as they get older. Most flytraps don't get any more than 5-8 traps at once. If they get more than chances are that the bulb is dividing ^.^ Give it 2 years, and then you can split it apart.

But anyway, if its just a few leaves that are doing that, then don't worry about it. Pluck em off when the black or brown reaches the base of the plant. Are there more leaves growing out from the center?

Also, don't over feed ur flytrap. It only requires a few bugs a month, and make sure that each bug is about 1/3 the size of the trap ur putting it in. Also make sure its somewhat alive, cuz here's how the traps work. Bugs trip the hairs, and they close around the bug. The way the trap tells if its a bug or not is if the trap is closed, and the censor hairs are still being triggered, then it'll seal the trap and pump digestive stuff in there. If the censor hairs aren't being triggered anymore, then it'll open the trap back up the next day or so. The traps will only work around 5-12 times, so it has to make sure it doens't waste any of its energy pumping enzymes into the traps, when there's no food there.

Hope that helps ^.^

~Phoebe

Link Copied to Clipboard