This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#13149 September 12th, 2003 at 06:22 AM
V
vw232 Offline OP
OP Offline
V
I have tons of tomatoes on my plants but the fruit has very small black spider like makrs on the top of the fruit and when ripe this area is mushy. Can you tell me what the problem is?

#13150 September 15th, 2003 at 06:20 AM
P
P
Your tomato problem is "Blossom-End Rot", the symptoms as you have described in your post. It affects green or ripe tomatoes.

The first thing you need to do is to remove the damaged fruits so that the plant's energy will go to the good fruits.

It is mainly caused by the plants inability to utilize calcium from the soil. Calcium is available to the plant only when the soil is evenly moist.

Tomatoes are heavy user of water. Water deeply at regular interval. To help keep soil moist, place 3-5 inches of mulch around the plant. Avoid using high nitrogen fertilizers or fresh manure soil amendment. The manure can have high salt content.

If your water or soil has too much soil, water more thoroughly to help leach salts through soil.

Link Copied to Clipboard