This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#13112 December 9th, 2003 at 08:03 AM
G
GENEG69 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
What is going on with these Shasta Daisies?
I planted the seeds last May. They came up
and kept growing, but never bloomed.Now they
have spread to about 2 feet wide and 2 feet
high. I thought they were annuals but evidently
not. We had a frost a couple times but it never
bothered them. They got so thick I had to move
some of them. Anyone know any websites on these
that can tell me what is going on.

Gene

#13113 December 9th, 2003 at 05:21 PM
is a perineal& they are neat.I didn't move with mne and are starting some over agin.you'll love them here is link with info
sorry have to paste/copy...my URLs don't seem to show for some reason to copy link...help if anyone knows where to turn back on.guess kids turned off
2003 Perennial plant of the Year

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Perennial plant Association is pleased to announce that the Perennial plant of the Year 2003 is Leucanthemum 'Becky'. PPA members selected the Becky Shasta daisy on the basis of its bright white flowers, sturdy stems that resist lodging, and long season of bloom. Leucanthemum 'Becky' has proven to be a lovely and dependable perennial for herbaceous borders across the country.

Contemporary nomenclature now lists this Shasta daisy, a former member of the genus Chrysanthemum, as Leucanthemum 'Becky' Superbum Group. Shasta daisy is a member of the Asteraceae family and is a hybrid created by Luther Burbank in 1890. The name of "Shasta daisy" supposedly comes from the fact that the clean white petals of this daisy reminded Burbank of the snow on Mount Shasta in California. 'Becky' has sturdy, upright stems that grow 40 inches tall, with a similar spread. Three-inch wide, single white flowers with contrasting yellow centers appear at the end of June or early July when other Shastas are finishing. Flowering continues throughout August and often into September. 'Becky Shasta daisy grows well in hardiness zones 4 to 9.

History
To gardeners, daisies have always exuded charm and friendliness. As a child many people remember running through a field of wild daisies or picking some for their mothers or teachers. Gardeners have long valued daisies of all types as excellent pass-along plants. Leucanthemum 'Becky' is the quintessential daisy.

The saga of Leucanthemum 'Becky' starts with Jimmy and Becky Stewart of Atlanta, Georgia. Jimmy and Becky received a Shasta daisy, from their neighbor, Mary Ann Gatlin who in turn had obtained it from her mother, Ida Mae. In the 1960s Ida Mae had spotted this daisy blooming in an Atlanta-area garden and was so taken with it that she approached the owner and offered to buy a clump. The owner gladly accepted Ida Mae's proposal and quickly filled her car trunk with Shasta daisies. Ida Mae had a successful florist/nursery business and sold 'Becky' as a garden plant and also as a cut flower. In the mid 1980s Bill Funkhouser visited the Stewart garden and was impressed with the pass-along daisy. Unable to find a clear identity for this excellent plant, Bill chose to call it Chrysanthemum 'Becky' to honor Becky Stewart. The Stewarts' later discovered that nurseryman Bud Heist had received the daisy from the Gatlins and was growing it under the name of 'Ida Mae'. Ryan Gainey of Atlanta had also passed along this daisy to the Goodness Grows nursery that dubbed it "Ryan's Daisy". Later Bill Funkhouser joined the Wayside Gardens staff and he included this daisy in the Wayside catalog as Leucanthemum 'Becky'.

Landscape Use
Leucanthemum 'Becky' is a wonderful choice to be grown as a specimen or en masse in the perennial border, in naturalistic landscapes, to attract butterflies, for garden bouquets, and even large containers. It can be one of the main stalwarts of the summer border. plant with Perovskia atriplicifolia (Russian sage) for a long season of bloom. Place Scabiosa columbaria 'Butterfly Blue' (pincushion flower) in front and add Veronica 'Royal Candles' for a lovely combination of white, blue and blue-lavender. For extra zing, add Crocosmia 'Lucifer' a brilliant scarlet red, summer flowering bulb.

Cultivation
An excellent cultivar of an old-fashioned favorite, Becky Shasta daisy grows best in full sun and well-drained soil. plants are not tolerant of excessive moisture or wet soils in winter. Deadheading encourages rebloom and extends the flowering season into autumn. Stems can be cut back to the lower foliage after flowering to tidy the plant. The flower stems are strong enough to keep this daisy upright after a heavy rain and to make it an excellent cut flower. Many Shasta daisies do not grow well in the hot, humid temperatures of the South and are not hardy in cold northern winters. 'Becky' is superior to other Shasta daisies due to its robust habit and performs well in southern and northern climates.

Propagation
Leucanthemum 'Becky' can be propagated by stem cuttings, tissue culture, or division with stem cuttings the normal method. Cuttings are taken from field grown stock plants that should be replaced annually. Cuttings should be placed in a well-drained growing medium with a pH of 5.8 to 6.5. Rooting hormone is not required but treating cuttings with #8 Hormex produces a more uniform root system 2 to 3 days sooner than no treatment. Best rooting occurs with cuttings taken at 3-week intervals from June through August.

Hardiness: Grows reliably in USDA Hardiness zones 4-9

Light: Full sun, tolerant of partial shade Soil: Growth is optimum in moist, but well-drained soil Uses: This Shasta daisy is valued for its long bloom season making it a good choice for both formal and informal gardens. The florist will find that 'Becky is an excellent cut flower.

Unique Qualities: Leucanthemum 'Becky' provides great garden color from July to September. It is known for its adaptability to northern and southern gardens. The sturdy stems ensure good garden presence throughout the season.

Planting Information: plant in fall or spring. It tolerates a wide range of conditions in full sun or partial shade. Growth is best in well-drained and moist fertile soils. Deadheading encourages rebloom and extends the flowering season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#13114 December 9th, 2003 at 08:14 PM
P
P
Gene, this is in addition to what Njoynit provided.

Do you know which of the (below) listed Shasta Daisy you have?

Aglaia
Becky
Crazy Daisy
May Queen
Snow Lady
Snow Cap

Shasta Daisy grow best in full sun and moist soils. Should be feed 2-3 times during the growing season; the last feeding should be of "low Nitrogen" fertilizer. Frequent pinching starting at planting time and continuing through summer should help encourage the plant to bloom and bloom longer.

GardenZ might be able to provide more info on Shasta Daisy. Here's a bit of history on the development of Shasta Daisy.

http://ci.santa-rosa.ca.us/lbhg/Shasta.asp

#13115 December 10th, 2003 at 07:46 AM
G
GENEG69 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks to njoynit and papito for your quick response. I guess if Luther Burbank spent 17
years creating the Shasta Daisy, I can wait until
next summer for them to bloom.
I don't know what type of Shasta Daisy I have.The
seed package just said Shasta Daisy. I liked the
looks of it so I thought I'd try them out. I know
when I was a kid back in Missouri the daisy was a
popular flower.

Gene

#13116 December 10th, 2003 at 03:37 PM
mine are becky and the seeds i have started are becky too...like the crazy daisy though have too keep eyes peeled.I have them growing in egg carton the cardboard type but did not use purple this time :rolleyes: I keep it set in a tray and has just a bit of water touching the bottom then in feb will place out in spot to grow.i know they don't grow as tall in shade

#13117 December 15th, 2003 at 12:43 AM
F
F
I have the "Alaska" variety of Shasta daisies.

http://www.humeseeds.com/shastad.htm

This was my 2nd season for them... they were awesome this year. Now don't fret. Last year i got only a few flowers and a lot of green. This year they flowered heavy and were around 4 ft tall!

Link Copied to Clipboard