This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#131031 June 26th, 2005 at 07:42 PM
B
Bill Offline OP
The Garden Helper
OP Offline
The Garden Helper
B

#131032 June 26th, 2005 at 08:12 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Great idea for a room Bill. Thank you very much. I will be watching this room very carefully. As you know I have a retaining wall that wasn't built correctly in the first place so I have half a raised bed to begin with. I never thought how easy it would be to turn it into a cold frame. That is a brilliant idea to get a head start on my garden. And I was absolutely itching to plant early last year so now I know how to go about it.

How will the pvc frame hold up to heavy winds? We have some real good ones blow in that time of year?

Thank you again for adding this room.

#131033 June 26th, 2005 at 08:56 PM
B
Bill Offline OP
The Garden Helper
OP Offline
The Garden Helper
B
How will the pvc frame hold up to heavy winds? We have some real good ones blow in that time of year?
If winds are a concern, I would glue all the fittings and pipe rather than just slip-fitting them together. You can also add a "T" fitting with pipe extensions as a foot for the upright pipes and bury the foot in the ground or drill and screw the foot to the raised bed frame to prevent your cold frame from blowing away.
Make sure the access openings are on the opposite end from prevailing winds. During periods of wind, be sure to keep the plastic closed up to keep the wind out or your structure will become a parachute and may lift up and fly away..

Thank you again for adding this room.
The thanks belong to Merme. It was at her suggestion that I added this forum... Thank you Merme!

#131034 June 26th, 2005 at 09:02 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Thankyou Merme!!!!

So I could do a "Dorothy" in the wizard of oz if the openings weren't tightly shut. I can just see my neighbor rushing over to tell me about it. lol, needless to say he is a kick in the pants to begin with. Lets see I could do "dorothy" and he could do "chicken little". Oh dear my mind has wondered off into one of its little fantasys.

I'm going to put your fact sheets in my favorites so I don't forget by this winter. If I bury a foot down I'm good under any usually conditions.

Thank you for telling me how to deal with the wind. I am so looking forward to being able to plant early. I was so impatient for blooms this year it just was not funny.

#131035 June 27th, 2005 at 04:25 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
They also make beds that are like tables..
and a person with the wheelchairs can go
right up to them, and their chair/legs part
can go underneath the bed...

That way it's at waist high level for them.
No stooping or bending or having to try to get out of the chair to garden...

**I looked into alot of this stuff for my mom...
Before we did our raised bed system...

Newt and I talked about this too...
If she comes thru, see if she'll give you a pointer or two on this stuff...

#131036 June 27th, 2005 at 05:25 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I'm not in a chair but wow that's sounds like a good idea. No more soggy bottom with that system.

#131037 June 27th, 2005 at 11:11 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Leave it to our Merme to come up with a GREAT forum...thanks for adding it Mr. Bill. I will be hanging out here a lot. Almost all of my beds are raised to facilitate my muscle disorder...but I didn't have any instructions when building them......so know I can see what I did WRONG!!!!

#131038 August 3rd, 2005 at 09:44 AM
Here is a link to a sketch of a table and doorway garden combination. All of these photos are from Janeen R. Adil's classic work "Accessible Gardening for People With Disabilities", Woodbine House, publishers.

Table/Doorway Garden

#131039 August 3rd, 2005 at 09:47 AM
Here is a link to a sketch of a standard table garden.

Table Garden

#131040 August 3rd, 2005 at 09:49 AM
Here is a link to a photo of a combination table and container garden.

Table & Container Garden

#131041 August 3rd, 2005 at 09:54 AM
Here are three links to show you different views of a special type of "raised bed" to give marvelous access even in a small area.

Front View

Side View

Side View Against A Wall Option

#131042 August 3rd, 2005 at 09:58 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great links, Merme! Thank you for posting them. I particularly like the special "raised" bed!

#131043 August 3rd, 2005 at 12:03 PM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
You could also swing the tables from a rafter or overhead pipe if in a green house that way no legs from them to get in the way. Use cable with pullies where you could raise or lower to different levels if needed. I always need to get where I can look closer at something. Could use a cheap electric hoist to raise and lower that way people with arm or hand problems like grip with artheritis would not have any problems with slipping or dropping. If a table wasnt being used it would raise out of the way until needed also could raise them to clean up the area in case of spills. And if need more space like with a wheel chair or scooter or just crutches these could be set at that width so you could move between them.
I am looking into some mats for floors that maybe a wheelchair or Hover round type scooter could get over with out getting hung up. This idea may not be worth anything to anyone just an idea to toy with.

Link Copied to Clipboard