This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#130871 July 31st, 2004 at 08:46 AM
OP Offline
I have been learning and experimenting with cover crops for the last few years. I have only grown hairy vetch up till this year, I spread some dutch white clover over some of the foot paths to one of my gardens which I do plant hills of squash or things when I run out of room. well the hairy vetch never got so thick or tall as this clover and I'm wondering if I should have my husband weed whip it down and throw it in the compost, or let it go and turn it over this fall.Or also I was wondering if instead of throwing it in the compost if I should bury it in the spots now vacant to have it decayed by next springs planting. Its been a strong grower and I know that I wouldnt be able to keep control of it in my raised beds[hairy vetch was easier in my little garden]. Any info about this would be grand, I have much to learn about this.

#130872 July 31st, 2004 at 02:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey Neihbor! I'd turn the clover under. I am seeding areas as the crops come out in Buckwheat, it grows quickly, then turn it under before the seeds start to develop and plant winter Rye, this makes for wonderful soil tilth and fertility. They are available from Farmers seed. Another good cover is the Hi-Nitro alfalfa, developed by our own U of M, it has a very high nitrogen composition, I believe Farmer's carries it also. thumbup
Tomatoes Ready There Shamarion??

#130873 August 1st, 2004 at 07:39 AM
OP Offline
Hi neighbor, just after my post I crawled into bed with my new issue of Organic Gardening and they had a real helpful article about the very Question I asked. They recomended mowing or whipping dutch white clover down to keep it under control untill you turn it over in the fall. Then as my luck would have it we got those early heavy rains right after I seeded it in and all the run off is growing on the lawn eek Oh well, the garden looks great tho, and I took some good pictures and had them developed on a cd to show you folks, hope to get to it soon. And the maters are just crazy but so far I am only eating my seven different cherry tomatoes. I was going to ask you if there would be any harm in mixing compost tea with manure tea and if I did, could I still spray it on as a foliar at full strength??Actually I had two pails a brewing, one compost, one manure and the manure tea got tiped over so I threw my cheesecloth bag of manure in with the compost tea. would like to use it as a foliar but worried it will be too strong. Duh Or maybe its a dangerous mix, just like playing garden scientist sometimes, but have learned it can be a fatal hobby sometimes laugh

#130874 August 1st, 2004 at 10:03 AM
P
P
I was going to ask you if there would be any harm in mixing compost tea with manure tea and if I did, could I still spray it on as a foliar at full strength??
Heh he I'm not Phil, but I have used those two together before. I delute mine until it looks like weak drinkin' tea.

#130875 August 2nd, 2004 at 08:49 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for the info pineapple_raye, actually I ended up pouring it into my compost pile, was growing a layer of skin on top of the pail sca did'nt look so good. But combined with the melted ice cream I poured in with it, I outa see some good action in the compost. But it is right that compost tea can be sprayed at full strength, but manure tea should be watered down to the look of weak tea?

Link Copied to Clipboard