This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#13080 April 15th, 2003 at 05:07 AM
N
nw reed Offline OP
OP Offline
N
i live in oregon. my once lush, flowering larger rhodie is now spindly, sad, and has brown leaves. i pruned it yesterday per this site's instructions. any insight & remedies?

#13081 May 3rd, 2003 at 04:37 PM
S
S
hi,
Did your rhodi's leaves start to turn brown and then the full leaf would turn brown and then fall off.......... coz i am having the same problem with mine and i sprayed it with an oil spray that i got from home depot and i think it has helped. even i wanted to trim my plan so that it would look a little better, but when do u think is a good time to trim it now or after it flowers, it only has 3-4 buds that i think will bloom this year.
thanks,
sabaa

#13082 May 20th, 2003 at 04:20 PM
J
J
Have you tested your soil? We have several two-year-old rhodies that first exhibited leaf curl, then the leaves turned brown and the entire plant eventually died. We were worried that it was root rot, which would have been awful since we'd read that the responsible fungus is almost impossible to eradicate from the soil and any future rhodies planted in that spot would likely contract it. We described the problem to our county extension officer who diagnosed it as a soil pH problem. Sure enough, when we tested the soil it was around pH 7. We just treated it with garden sulfur in an attempt to bring it down below pH 6 before we try replanting in the fall.

BTW, our county extension officer has helped us with with lots of issues we had with new landscape plants. If you have such a service in Oregon, I'd recommend taking a cutting of the affected plants to them for analysis.

#13083 May 23rd, 2003 at 04:53 AM
S
S
hi,
i had the same problem last year, just before fall all my rhody leaves stared turning brown then curling up and eventually falling off, so i pruned it a bit.
this year i planted another rhody far away from this one and the same problem. so i wen to home depot with a sample of the brown leaf and the fellow there was very helpful and gave me an oil spray it comes in a white can, so i sprated that and thank god i see that my rhody has actually become a little better it had alos started growing again so i would recommen that u go out and buy this oil spray its around $ 10 and its really good.
hpoe this helps,
sabaa

#13084 May 26th, 2003 at 04:23 AM
S
S
OK...I am the Rhodo Queen...lol

They hate our climate! I am in the East...Toronto Canada! Winter is horrendous on them! My mom is in Vancouver and are as large as a house. So zoning is important.

But, I love them so much and have tried everything to get them to work out here. First off I think everyone knows the are acid lovers,,,so a shot of viniger dilluted every month or so is a good thing.

Secondly, they are shallow root based and LOVE to be picked out of the dirt and treat the dirt with pine chips or mulch and peat moss and MOUND them up...every 2-3 years.

Thirdly, Make sure that during the winter they are well protected from the snow and cold whipping wind, I moved mine to a back shaddy corner of my garden,,, and I can't believe how good it is doing!!

Anyway, Hope my tips can help someone...trial and error for me! lol...Have a great day!

Link Copied to Clipboard