This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#13060 April 14th, 2003 at 04:54 PM
J
Jenna Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I saw from another's question that you know a lot about palms, so I hope you can help. I bought an indoor palm without any identifing label, 14' and cheap ($22). It has 6-8 branches with small fronds. (I can email a pic of it to you if needed.) I have had similar smaller versions before and they evenutally succumbed to a sticky cruddy residue (pest or fungi I do not know). I have questions for you: 1) What can I do to prevent the sticky ick? 2) I need to transplant it to it's permanent container any suggestions on its soil mix? I love the look of this plant and would enjoy it thriving. Sorry for the lenghth of this question.
-Jenna

#13061 April 15th, 2003 at 07:49 AM
A
A
Well, I'm not Will Creed, but I do believe I can help if you send me a picture. Recent, if possible.Thank you! Arquill

#13062 April 16th, 2003 at 05:27 AM
J
Jenna Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Arquill, thanks for responding. I do not know how to attach a picture. It's a majesty palm.
[img]null[/img]

#13063 April 16th, 2003 at 02:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For those who are curious, Jenna identified her plant as a Majesty palm in a private email to me. Here is part of my reply:

These plants grow very fast out in the direct Florida sun so they can be sold cheap. Unfortunately, they do not adapt well when they are moved indoors. They require more light than you can provide in your home - even in front of a sunny window - so they invariably decline within a year. If the store that sold you the plant has a return policy, I suggest that you take advantage of it. Frankly, this is one plant that I wish they would take off the market because of its poor record. The better nurseries and retailers do not sell Majesty palms.

The sticky stuff is "honeydew" secreted by scale insects. This is another indication that the plant was not grown by a reputable nursery. You can't prevent scale - only growers can do that. However, early detection and treatment increases the chances of successfully eradicating it. If you intend to keep your Majesty palm, let me know and I will send you more information on scale insects.

Link Copied to Clipboard